ad: M2Ant-1

Social Platform for Ham Radio Operetors.

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by TA3NHI, Mar 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're an amateur radio operator this should be old news to you
    The 1st and Best Social media was Amateur radio so get on the Air and talk to someone.

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On the AIR daily/in V31 land 5his week with my toe in the sand!

N2EY, K9TDW, N8TGQ and 2 others like this.
  2. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

It needs to be open to all platforms and os's,
    platform specific modules can limit many from utilizing the site.
    and thats not good for a social media network.

AC0GT likes this.
  3. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

While I agree that any social network should be accessible to multiple operating systems I believe that you misunderstand what "platform" means in this context.

I had this debate on "platforms" many times over the years and I found it difficult to understand the resistance to open standards. I recall many times getting sent files that were in the latest and "greatest" Microsoft file format, then having to try to find a means to decipher it or ask for the file in a format I could read. The argument was usually something like, "But everybody uses Microsoft!" Well, I'm not "everybody" and putting the file in a format that more people than "everybody" can read would be a non-issue by a change of defaults on the sending end of this transaction.

There's one "platform" here and that is the social network. Another "platform" is the devices and software used to access this social network. I agree on the need to keep system requirements as inclusive as is practical, and may be a worthy reminder. It appears that in this case "platform", as Inigo Montoya is famous for saying, I don't think that means what you think it means. :D

4. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. I gave hamsignal a cursory look and I like what I saw. I will be keeping and eye on it.

TA3NHI likes this.
  5. K8VSY

K8VSY QRZ Lifetime Member #496 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I recently made the jump from Twitter over to Mastodon, and it's pretty slick. It is a very welcoming environment and they have helpful admins/mods too. I like it because content that is too short to put on QRZ or my personal blog can go there.

73, K8VSY

M0RVB and PY2NEA like this.
  6. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad to see your creativity at work.

If you want me to sign up and use your platform please post how much money I will receive for doing this.

Many of us tied to the internet know exactly what is going on. Your offer of "free" in-exchange for use of the platform is not nearly enough compensation relative to how much you will be making.

If your site is NOT monetized and/or saving / sharing usage and tracking data please let us know.

Also at an non obfuscated location on the page clearly state with no uncertain terms that your social media site will never be monetized. Pretty sure many will jump on board if your intentions are truly aimed at being a positive experience for the Ham/Hobbyist/Tech people.

TA3NHI likes this.
  7. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not know that, thank you.

Where did the money actually go, according the website it is being granted. Where are the recipients?

44.png

8. TA3NHI

TA3NHI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

Yes, as I mentioned, all services are free to members of the site. This is an obvious statement.
    A website of course needs an investment. However, we will not meet this with any expectation of fees from members. I believe that the income to be obtained through sponsor connections will be sufficient for the life cycle of the project.

https://hamsignal.net/terms/about-us

In the About Website article, there is an explanation that members will not be charged.

Thousands of amateur members have already joined the site.
    No credit card information is requested from you on the site. How did you suspect that the money would be taken from you?

Every day we sign up to a dozen sites. Promised on this site are tools that will make life easier for amateur radio enthusiasts. If you don't like it by taking just 1 minute to become a member, you can delete your registration. Do not hesitate to try.

I am amateur radio operator. also a software developer.
    On this site, I use my skills to develop tools that I think can facilitate the work of the community. That's all.
    I'm already doing jobs that make money. Why would I want to make money from amateurs?

PY2NEA likes this.
  9. TA3NHI

What did you understand as a platform?
    So this is a website platform. It also has the ability to work on all devices.
    All that is required to use it is a web browser.
    I recommend using Chrome.

10. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, that part is clear.

Fact is those members that have already signed up need to be paid for providing you with marketable data.

The overwhelming majority of users have no clue in the world that by their use of your site you are making money and not sharing it with them.

Usage of the site alone is not even close to an equal exchange of value / services. Look at how much money Meta / Facebook has made, majority of their user base is uneducated and low income people. That group needs financial assistance the most, yet, big tech keeps on trading "cheap beads for real gold".

11. TA3NHI

Do I misunderstand? Are you talking about getting paid from the site you are a member of?

Do you get paid from sites you sign up for, including this site?

If there is such a site, I would be happy to become a member and get paid.

Also, in a commercial sense, why are you comparing this site with Facebook or similar sites? If you think you are facing Mark Zuckerberg, you are wrong. That's not me.

What you're describing sounds ridiculous to me. If you have a problem with Zuckerberg, you should write to him.

12. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

Technically speaking a web based site such as this is phpbb forum or bullitin board and generally an apache database.
    What a platform is in the context of an operating system is the base format structure.
    For example micro-sith was fat( file allocation table ) fat16, fat32, and now ntfs( and here it remains unchanged since 1998.
    apple systems were designed differently and pc/Microsoft were not able to read the formats of apple systems.
    Unix systems originally was built for business and academia purposes.
    Linux came about as a free alternative to unix.

Ive been around long enough to see the evolution of computers and os's
    My first home system was the severely underrated tandy color computer,with the original dos system, and the commodore 64

TA3NHI likes this.
  13. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

No, you read it correctly.

More and more people are getting wise to what you and others are doing by taking advantage of under-informed people.

Its essentially stealing, taking something of great value without any compensation given to the person that just unknowingly supplied the data.

14. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

You only say that because I am correct and your deflection of the issue is weak at best.

15. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

If that is true then compensate me with something of value.

Look at all the FREE advertising you are getting from my engagement with this post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.