ad: k1jek

VR Coming to Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0PIR, Jun 29, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

My favorite exchange about VR involved a ZDNet poster telling me that one day we wouldn't need factories because we'd all be living in VR.

Sort of like the Eloi:

2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

re the featured video: Big. Farkin'. Whoop.

3. N5TTI

N5TTI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Then why bother to comment? Ham Radio is a large and varied hobby.
    Just because it doesn't fit into your particular niche, there's no reason for unhelpful comments to try and dissuade others.

W5MDB likes this.
  4. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They, the airline bean counters, are trying to replace the experienced aircraft technician with VR mechanics. Take one guess how THAT'S been going ladies and gentlemen.

KC3JH likes this.
  5. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

There are benefits to vr just as much as there are drawbacks.
    Consider mass media, we already are being plagued with ads in our cellphones and computers, not to mention endless updates ( and they probably consist of search and disable any ad blocking features)
    So its an all too convenient a venue for advertising agencies to ignore.
    Vr is not something i would be interested in at all. ( heck actual reality is enough of a pain in the arse)
    But to each his own im not telling anyone they can't or shouldn't use it.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be very cool.

I remember the Scratch and Sniff cards made so that you could follow movies while wearing your 3D glasses.

7. VE7QJD

VE7QJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Rich for mentioning VR, and as commented, VR is not for everyone, but one way to age with fun is to ignore the resistance to change. I have been using an Oculus Rift2 metaquest for a few months now, mostly for Flightsim MSFS2020 and getting quite addicted. I only took up Ham Radio at 75 and now VR at 78 so maybe online gaming at 80.

KF0FBK likes this.
  8. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Did either of you get the 2022 Scratch-n-Sniff Hamateur Radio Calendar? The centerfold is a hamfest panoramic with an abundance of scents.

Speaking of radio-related smells, the most familiar is the aroma of a boat anchor's first light up after years in a musty basement/smoker's hamshack/mouse-filled barn. Heating up a 5U4 coated with dust and nicotine beats the pants off of incense candles.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    KE0GXN likes this.
  9. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice!

I was more thinking along the lines of the OM body odors…..might as well try and get the full experience if your are going virtual! :eek:

10. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

My gear also has gaseous voltage regulator tubes.Aka BE tubes. Johnson Viking Valiant. Long may they glow. Yes I a old guy! As for video my TV set used a a 30 line Niplow disc.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  11. K3DFD

K3DFD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a Meta Quest 2 and use it for iRacing. I like it well enough but not until I upgraded the head strap and got prescription lenses. Except for someone with visual limitations, I can't really see (no pun intended) a role in Ham Radio. But virtually driving Laguna Seca or the Nurburgring is pretty neat.

12. K3DFD

K3DFD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Can't experience VR Hamcation without it

KE0GXN likes this.
  13. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, being blind with a bit of vision, I don't see how VR can help me since seeing out of only one eye barely, I do not have depth perception.
    Since I have no vision in the other one, 3D is also out. So no 3D television for me. What I would like to see is a version of a communications
    device I saw on Star Trek Deep Space Nine where it looked like the person was in the room with you.
    I'm assuming that would take standing in a circle of cameras and having software correct for the camera angle so instead of looking as
    though the camera were pointing up at a 45 degree angle, it would be as though you were looking directly at the person.

14. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

3d imaging with cameras at different angles is not difficult, but 3d projection however would require precise projection generally using multiple laser aperatures.
    The difficulty being balancing too much laser light and too little.
    It is possible but not very practical or economical.

15. KF0FBK

KF0FBK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just don't let out the virtual smoke unless you have the scratch and sniff card that goes with it. (Don't you just love the smell of burnt resistors in the morning?)

KC3TEC likes this.