ad: TinyPaddle-1

VR Coming to Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0PIR, Jun 29, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I expect we’ll see more and more VR cameras at our Ham Radio events.

You don’t need a VR headset to enjoy these videos, but VR headsets (requires smartphone) can be bought for as little as $20. A good standalone VR headset is $299.

Read more about this on my website.

Vry73,
    Rich, KØPIR

KF4ZKU, N3RF, KK9W and 4 others like this.
  2. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

No, thank you.

KI7EZU, K8PG, W8LGZ and 7 others like this.
  3. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is there a way for one to incorporate the smells virtually too?

W0DN, N2EY, W7USD and 4 others like this.
  4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it that much different from the ZED? :p

5. KC3JH

KC3JH Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-8 Is "Virtual Ham Radio" And It's Free :)

W0DN, KI7EZU, W1BR and 5 others like this.
  6. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FT-8ers, when they can’t get that rare DX to answer them be like….
    001512F1-6552-4F32-9F54-E76B4A708121.gif :eek:

WR2E, NU4R, N3FAA and 7 others like this.
  7. K4IBC

K4IBC Ham Member QRZ Page

Think about it . It could actually be a benefit to a severely handicapped person. Say someone is either a paraplegic or quadriplegic. Using VR headset would allow them to use a computer. t just grows from there.

I don't know that much about VR headsets but seems like it could be used in place of a mouse.

We joke about things that might seem gimmicky or a toy to us, but my be a huge benefit to someone else.

KF4ZKU, N0TZU and K5YVY like this.
  8. N2ICZ

N2ICZ Ham Member QRZ Page

LMAO!! Sadly, the technology doesn't exist. We'll have to settle for scratch n sniff cards.

All kidding aside, to @K4IBC 's point, it could be beneficial to some.

KE0GXN likes this.
  9. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

The idea has intellectual merit, but it lacks commercial merit in the mass market. Here's why - it is technologically feasible to do it and we can use Stephen Hawking's computerized wheelchair as a proof in design and engineering, but how many Hams would need a VR controlled radio? Hundreds in the North American market? Perhaps in the low thousands worldwide? Price would be a deal breaker for many. The cost would be higher than many would want to or be able to pay.

Is the amateur radio market correctly reading the market place currently? Look at the 2 meter mobiles and the HTs - they get smaller and smaller which is fine for someone wanting an install in a minivan or a Prius, but the median age of Hams is getting older in the marketplace. Icom's ID-52 is less than 5 inches tall and Yaesu's FTM-200DR has ergonomic visual acuity issues while driving with anyone lacking the vision of a <30 year old. Menus are even worse. I'd have trouble seeing some 2 meter displays at my desk without concentrating on them and I am sure that others would as well.

A VR headset is an interesting idea for the near-blind and visually impaired, but most radio companies don't do software well and their trends towards mini radios and micro-displays is not a good one.

10. K4IBC

K4IBC Ham Member QRZ Page

I was thinking about people with limited mobility. But I agree that VR would be more focused on persons with vision disability. There are devices that are head worn accelerometers that allow those with limited mobility to do mouse and computer control.

11. NZ1I

NZ1I QRZ Lifetime Member #344 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Nice work Rich.
    I especially appreciate that the view is from above the heads of the folks around you. A much better perspective as folks can't walk by blocking what you are trying to record.

73, Kevin NZ1I

KG8ZQ likes this.
  12. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

My gear has had VR tubes for decades.

KI7EZU, W3AMT, WN1MB and 2 others like this.
  13. WA5KM

WA5KM Ham Member QRZ Page

Voltage Regulator tubes. You are talking to 2 generations of people that like to reuse or combine words. They have little knowledge of the past, even their fathers generation. These are not clever feats.

KF4ZKU and NF6E like this.
  14. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

If they cannot at least use Google they are lost.

KF4ZKU likes this.
  15. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here. Let's see - one 0A3, two 0C3, three 0D3. Love the light show.

73 de Jim, N2EY

W7HT likes this.