ad: M2Ant-1

Winlink Hamword Game

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N5HZR, May 2, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N5HZR

N5HZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Today I'm announcing a Winlink version of the wildly popular Wordle game; Hamword.

Hamword is a Winlink-based game that mimics the wildly popular five-letter word guessing game, Wordle. If you don't know this game, ask your spouse, kids, grandkids, neighbor, or someone who is addicted to this game. This game aims to give hams a way to practice their Winlink skills while having some fun guessing an unknown five-letter word.

The only thing you need to play the game is an amateur radio license and an active Winlink account. You can learn more about setting up Winlink at http://ok.arrl.org/nts/ntsoksoftware/.

How to Play
    Once you have Winlink up and running, send a five-letter word via Winlink to the tactical call sign HAMWORD. The subject line can be anything you wish, and the message body should contain just your file-letter guess. Your messages will be graded and returned via a Winlink message at 0, 15, 30, and 45 minutes past the hour.

Response Key
    The original game displays different colors for each letter, and since Winlink doesn't allow text colors, you will receive a five-number "response key." This key will tell you how close your guess is to the secret word. The numbers 0, 1, and 2 are displayed according to the following definitions:

• 0 means that the letter above the key is not seen in the word that you are guessing. (Similar to gray.)
    • 1 means that the letter above the key is in the word you guessed, but it is in the wrong location. (Similar to yellow.)
    • 2 means that the letter above the key is in the word you guessed, in the correct location. (Similar to green.)
    More Information and Leaderboard
    The game details, more information, and a couple of leaderboards and statistics are available at https://hambooks.org/hamword/.

Weekly Reset
    The guessed word resets weekly at 00:00Z on Monday (Sunday evening in the United States). So, make your guesses throughout the week and make sure you solve the puzzle before the word resets. You have six chances to solve the puzzle each week.

Join the fun, good luck, enjoy Winlink and Hamword, and tell your friends!

Attached Files:

KB1GKN, KB2RTI, AG5DB and 6 others like this.
  2. N8SQT

N8SQT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Curios - are the words supposed to be ham radio related, or just general words like the online game?

N5HZR likes this.
  3. N5HZR

These are general words, not specifically amateur radio related. The goal is to test/practice Winlink skills. Have fun!

4. WA7JR

WA7JR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, I just found your HAMWORD announcement on QRZ. I do have Winlink; do I simply send any 5-letter word I want and that's it?

N5HZR likes this.
  5. AF7ZA

AF7ZA Ham Member QRZ Page

Curious too. I thought I'd look into this post as I also have a WL2K account. But not enough information given for this aged brain. So if it's a puzzle, where is it found so one could attempt to guess a word ? There must be more to it than I know of.

N5HZR likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Addictive!

VA2SS and N5HZR like this.
  7. N5HZR

That's it! And, I see you've made it to the Current Week list, so you're on your way!

8. N5HZR

Just sent a five-letter word to the Winlink tactical callsign HAMWORD. All of the info is listed above, or at https://hambooks.org/hamword/

Good luck, have fun!

9. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

FUN! Good job!!

Dusted off WL Express, solved my first HAMWORD, and now am on the Leaderboard. :)

A clever way to motivate test loading the WL system, training op's, keeping up with proficiency & upgrades on the app, and also using our radios and observing propagation. I was using HF only and had to switch bands to keep making timely contact with a gateway as NVIS conditions evolved today.

Bet it annoys the WL-basher gang no end. :rolleyes: But the relatively narrow parts of the ARS allocations used are rarely crowded.

USE IT OR LOSE IT ! :p

73, John, WØPV

PS - back to chasing VU4W and 9N7WE and other such things ...

N5HZR likes this.
  10. NJ3H

NJ3H Ham Member QRZ Page

I love Wordle. How about a daily Wordle.

N5HZR likes this.
  11. VA2SS

VA2SS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why did I miss this post earlier this week? Loll

A nice idea to let us practice with Winlink and maintain or enhance our skills.

I will play for sure!

73 de Jeff | VA2SS

N5HZR likes this.
  12. N5HZR

We'll see how this one goes as a weekly word for now. If the business picks up, that's always an option.

So glad you're having fun.

13. K9EZ

K9EZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What a fun way to hine up Winkink skills! Found some new, better performing nodes too boot! I'm heading to the mountains of North Carolina for camping, and I know there is no cell phone service at the campground. Going to take my KX3 and stay in touch with family and play the game while I am out.

N5HZR and AG5DB like this.
  14. N5HZR

The new word for the week just dropped. Try again!

15. N5GIT

N5GIT Ham Member QRZ Page

mine keeps rejecting the message.

Message Id: 069Y15TY3129 rejected - moved to sent items folder.

why does winlink keep doing this?