ad: UR5CDX-1

Pacific Northwest SOTA Winter S2S (Snowstorm to Snowstorm) Party

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N7KOM, Mar 25, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N7KOM

N7KOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Last weekend many operators braved some rough weather across the PNW for a winter Summit to Summit party. I skied up Tom Dick Harry Mtn and found a nice spot in the trees to operate. I had some fun CW pileups on 20 and 40 meters. Even got some S2S outside of the PNW. This was my biggest SOTA log yet: 51 QSOs, 18 S2S, and 36 on CW!
    Super fun and wet day. 73 de Tim N7KOM

K8CGS, W8TJM, AC1IZ and 17 others like this.
  2. KO4CES

KO4CES Ham Member QRZ Page

Your conditions appear slightly harsher than Winter Field Day in Florida. Congratulations on the ingenuity.

AD4E, KE7DRT, N7KOM and 1 other person like this.
  3. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

;)

N7KOM likes this.
  4. W4ATO

W4ATO Ham Member QRZ Page

living in the blue ridge mtns, you have been my inspiration to get back into backpacking which I did years ago.
    Just bought a qrp rig and am building two types of antennas. I will soon be activating on SOTA and POTA.
    These old mtns are old and warn down, just like me at 72, but easier to climb. 73

W4GOV, K9EZ, KC7ZXY and 2 others like this.
  5. N7KOM

I'll add your call to ham alert :) Hope to QSO S2S sometime! 73/72

K9EZ likes this.
  6. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow Fantastic, sorry I missed out again. How do I find your schedule? I would love to make contact.. Good CW action fer sure. And people ask is CW a dying art,,,, go figure.

N7KOM likes this.
  7. KF0GVX

KF0GVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cool video! I just got my general so i can get on HF and that makes siting here at the shack seem wimpy. lol. And if i do get into all of that cool stuff i definably want to come down the mountain in style.;)

N7KOM likes this.
  8. N7KOM

I usually post an alert to https://sotawatch.sota.org.uk/en/ ahead of my activations. You can also put me in hamalert. The reverse beacon network usually hears my cw :)

Nothing wrong with sitting in a shack :) I appreciate all the chasers that QSO with me from the comfort of their warm abodes :)

K9EZ and N7KO like this.
  9. BX2ABT

BX2ABT Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video and I don't envy you at all. We had the JA SOTA QSO party here in Asia at the same time and I was sitting on a mountain with temperatures in the upper 70s. Muuuch better! Was chased by two stations from the west coast, but no S2S unfortunately. Maybe next time you can try 15 meters for some DX from Asia. My report is here: https://reflector.sota.org.uk/t/bx2abts-4th-activation-ja-sota-qso-party/28644/2

What gear did you use to shoot your video? I can never get stable images with my phone and selfie stick. 73 de Hans

10. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

OK TU for information I will look into SOTA WATCH and will try to setup near Mt Spokane, wish I were younger I would snowmobile to the upper ridge, But I am old and not as spry as I once was, still enjoying making QRP contacts in remote locations. 73' N7KO

K9EZ and N7KOM like this.
  11. DE6MSW

DE6MSW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

:);) 73s

N7KOM likes this.
  12. AA5ET

AA5ET Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool thanks for sharing.

N7KOM likes this.
  13. N7KOM

Hi Hans, I was hoping to get a JA station on 20m, but no dice. I need to start trying the higher bands like 15 and 10m.

For filming I use a used GoPro Hero7 Black that I got for a reasonable price on ebay. I have a mount on one of my trekking/ski poles. In the snow it works pretty well as a monopod. All audio is captured in camera. Sometimes I use an inline audio recorder to get the cw audio when it's windy. Something I wish I had on the summit I just did on Sunday :(
    73!

14. KA0SOH

KA0SOH Ham Member QRZ Page

Jut now finding out about this. I'd really like to have worked you CW. Hopefully, next time.
    Donn, KA0SOH

15. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Awesome Tim as alaways. Thank you.