ad: MyersEng-1

Social Platform for Ham Radio Operetors.

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by TA3NHI, Mar 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-MFJ
  1. TA3NHI

TA3NHI Ham Member QRZ Page

My Dear Radio Amateur Friend

For a long time I had thoughts about a special Social Networking project for amateur radio operators. As a result of my research, I could not find a project similar to the one in my mind. What I have in mind is a timeline-like platform like Facebook, but it should only be on amateur radio, not open to non-license holders.

You might think that social networks like Facebook are already in use and say why such a job is needed. However, public social networks do not provide full service to amateur radio operators and we cannot share in accordance with the concept.

For this reason, I decided to test launch the hamsignal.net site.

What Can You Do Here?

You can share things in the name of amateur radio just like on other social media.
    You can create a group.
    You can create a page.
    You can create a blog and write an article about amateur radio.
    You can sell and share the devices and/or equipment you have in the market.

The platform is free to members.

I have thoughts about the platform-specific modules in the future. I wish to meet in good works and projects...

TA3NHI 73

KQ4GBA, N3VEZ, W7MY and 3 others like this.
  2. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

The description of said Social Network sounds a lot like QRZ.COM...

KB1MM, K2BKT, W5SOZ and 13 others like this.
  3. K4PPZ

K4PPZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's actually more like Facebook. It's one of the best versions I have seen and wonders better than many of the copy-cat social media sites popping up because of censorship.
    There isn't a lot of activity there yet but if it catches on, it would be a great alternative to FaceBook. Did I mention I despise FaceBook? Haven't been on it in over a year.

K2BKT, N0YPD, K2CD and 1 other person like this.
  4. NM9K

NM9K Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish we'd all meet on the air instead. And not on stupid HF nets. The turkey day net we had on here in 2013 was so much fun.

N8TGQ, KD2WRS, K2BKT and 6 others like this.
  5. TA3NHI

TA3NHI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi there
    Actually, our aim is never to compete with QRZ.com.
    The features we mentioned above, yes QRZ.com also has similar features.
    However, our structure, as KN4QNQ mentioned, is mostly the format of facebook or similar social media sites adapted to the amateur radio community.
    We plan to add many more special modules in the future.
    QRZ.com will not be a platform for any amateur in the world to give up.
    I hate facebook too, I have to keep it open for ham radio friends only, but facebook is a public platform and doesn't have modules for ham radio anyway.
    Here's a platform like facebook and ham radio modules wouldn't it be nice?

N2ICZ and WQ4G like this.
  6. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

K8VSY likes this.
  7. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed. If we would spend more time on the air than on the stupid internet, the bands would be packed every day of the week.

KD2WRS, W2BBQ, WF9Q and 2 others like this.
  8. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

There's space on the internet allocated for Amateur radio. We should try to occupy it. We should work out how to route to it over Amateur packet radio systems. It has to have been done before. I'll have to look into that.

9. M0RVB

M0RVB QRZ Lifetime Member #378 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

10. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You're about 25 years too late. Also TCP in particular is AWFUL over AX.25.

Also I believe that part of the Net 44 block has been sold to AWS as well. http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2020/october/sale-of-amateur-radio-amprnet-tcp-ip-addresses.htm

Seems my A record still exists though...

$ host n3ryb.ampr.org
    n3ryb.ampr.org has address 44.112.0.211

WF9Q likes this.
  11. AC0GT

There's more than one way to send packets over radio.

N3RYB likes this.
  12. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Absolutely. TCP/IP however is I'll suited for lossy low speed links and the most commonly used link layer, AX.25 is just not good enough. Maybe FX.25 can improve on that. Mostly my point more than anything, the IP protocol stack is crappy for ham purposes :)

AC0GT likes this.
  13. W9YW

W9YW Moderator Emeritus QRZ Page

TCP is sequenced; UDP is not. Any network with jitter or multiple routes that cause sequence to be interrupted, is not for TCP. AX.25, where TTL is set correctly, is a work of art.

73 Tom W9YW

KB1MM and N3RYB like this.
  14. KK3Q

KK3Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll give it a try. Maybe it will be a place where people can go to avoid the trolls that have ruined FB.

15. AC0GT

I was going to go down that rabbit hole of how to get IP over Amateur radio but then remembered what thread I'm in. The topic is a social network about Amateur radio. A social network over Amateur radio would need to go into TCP vs. UDP and so on. I thought it might be cute to do both, a social network about Amateur radio that is also on Amateur radio. Until there is a plan to make this social network accessible over Amateur radio perhaps we should leave that discussion for another time.

TA3NHI and N3RYB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.