ad: HamHats-1

Hamcation 2022

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports & Videos' started by KN4ULD, Feb 12, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Curious, was the attendance down as well? Understand some regular vendors were missing. I would expect the attendance to be lower than usual due to covid and the demographic involved.

I suspect getting back to normal is going to take a few years, so long as covid gets to be less and less an issue. Dayton will be a good indicator!

I hope they get the $28 hamburger thing sorted. That kind of stuff makes me not want to return to a venue.

2. WB7PMP

WB7PMP Ham Member QRZ Page

My guess is that attendance was perhaps 60% of what it was several years ago.

3. W4QG

W4QG Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been attending for 30 years. I agree, swap and tailgate areas probably down 25%.
    A number of empty tables in the swap building. A few long time traders were AWOL.
    Some deals to be had for sure, others asking new prices.

One thing I did notice is that there were more RVs there than I have seen in several years.

Food reported to be not good and expensive. I brought my own.

I didn't bother with the main building other than a brief walk through, not my thing.
    I did notice some major vendors/manufactures missing.

I think next year, with COVID hopefully behind us it will pick back up.

4. N4FO

N4FO Ham Member QRZ Page

I attended this year with my twin boys who are 13. One of them got their Technician license in 2019 by taking his test at Hamcation. The weather was very nice and sunny, a little on the warm side for this time of year, but it was not so crowded that you couldn't go inside and cool off if you needed to. The flea market area and the swap building I felt were good, not as large as in years past, but way better than another ham fest that I attended in January. We attended the youth forum and the young ham that presented was 14 and very good at presenting. My boys thoroughly enjoyed the day with dad and all the stuff to look at in the flea market and swap meet and the commercial vendors. My other son is now working on getting his Technician license and the other is working on upgrading to General.

The food and drink prices were outrageous. I compare it to fair food quality at theme park prices; that means mediocre food at high prices. Others have said they brought their own food, which I find not practical. Also the food prices were not displayed very prominently and led to "sticker shock" to some people that were ahead of me in line.

Overall we had a great time and enjoyed ourselves immensely. Congratulations to the staff and volunteers of Hamcation for a great job!

N1VAU, N4FZ and W4POT like this.
  5. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I went Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I noticed not a lot of outside Flea Market people on Friday, better Saturday!

Saturday was pretty well attended. Less than 2020, but not shockingly low.

Sunday morning early there was rain locally in the Orlando area and attendance was Very Low in the flea market.

Yes there were some indoor Companies that were there in 2019, 2020 that did not attend this year,
    but it was a decent Hamcation, and I am glad that I took the time to attend. :)

My only complaint.

Friday I bought 2 cheeseburgers, from the one vendor on the West side of the outside food vendors.
    I thankfully put the purchase on my credit card, and noticed Sunday I was charged $44 for it!
    Monday I called my Credit card company, they refunded me my money. I was expecting, $10-14 each;
    not $20 Each; plus tax and a surcharge for using Credit Card!!

WA4VQW, KC2PMM and N4FZ like this.
  6. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A friend I went with warned me that we needed to eat before we got there - great advice. Biggest hamfest I have even been to in 50 years so
    it sure was a lot more interesting than the Nebraska State ARRL convention or anything that we had in Chicago. Great shuttle service in the parking lot - walked right in with
    tickets and no lines at the booth. We didn't go to any presentations or forums. Walked all the flea market and interior in 3-4 hours , picked up
    a few items and drove back to Tampa. Good to see some of the vendors that I have done business with and meet some of the staff.
    I could see that you could have a real great time if you had a nice RV like were parked there - spend
    all night shooting the breeze with other hams over a few beverages. Tailgating area had a lot of gear I have never seen and a lot of nice gear
    for sale - not all the usual garbage that you see dragged out to the local swap meets.

K2HAT likes this.
  7. WD8KNL

WD8KNL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

'
    M0KED Andy, What radio rally were you referring to as the U.K.'s largest? I'm aware of the Blackpool in the north. Any large U.K. hamfests in the late summer/fall you might recommend? 73 Eric WD8KNL

8. K3DFD

K3DFD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was there. Like time stands still. And that's not all bad. I'll go back and visit the same things I've seen for years.

9. M0KED

M0KED Ham Member QRZ Page

10. M0KED

M0KED Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Eric, the Lincoln Short Wave Club organise the National Hamfest at Newark, Nottinghamshire, each year, usually in September, but this year it's over Friday and Saturday 14/15 of October. If you're in the area it's well worth a visit! If you make it over be sure to lookout for my callsigned baseball cap from Hamcation and come say hello! 73.

11. AB4KA

AB4KA Ham Member QRZ Page

I was there all three days and had a good time, although I'll admit that I went Sunday just to help at the ARRL booth (since on Friday I was promoted by my ARRL section manager to an Assistant Section Manager and felt being as close as I am (only an hour away) I should be there to help out). Friday and Saturday I attended some of the forums and really enjoyed them, and I spent a few bucks in the tailgate area. Attendance both in vendors and attendees was down from 2020, but I think that was to be expected after everything we've all been through.

Overall I enjoyed it and will be back next year.

K2HAT likes this.
  12. WD8KNL

WD8KNL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Andy,
    Thanks for the National Hamfest at Newark info. If I can make it, I'll be sporting my Northumbria Amateur Radio Club cap!

Eric.