ad: Radclub22-1

Hamfest ? Hardly....

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports & Videos' started by KQ0J, Jan 10, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I went to a Hamfest Saturday 1/09 in the Tampa Bay, FL area. It was the biggest joke of a Hamfest I have ever been to. First of all, they charged $5 to get in - not unusual , but there are free tailgate swap meets
    in the area that look like Hamcation in comparison.

There were maybe 30 cars with tailgates set up with basically JUNK. 95% or more of that trash could have
    been better off dumped in the trash.

What is with these Hams? Are they that broke that they are selling used components and Radio Shack crap
    from the 1970's that they can't even bother to clean off.

Waiting expectantly for the Orlando Hamcation.

W9FL likes this.
  2. WW5F

WW5F Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope the Jackson MS hamfest at the end of this month turns into something better. I'm betting a couple hundred dollars in gas and hotel fees on it.

Just checked the web site. Still LOTS of empty tables yet to be reserved.

I may end up throwing a DX-40/VF1 and a Drake 2NT/2C/2CQ in the dumpster before I go home if this hamfest turns out to be a failure.

KQ0J likes this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm hoping Hamfest come back to their former glory, but I doubt if we're going to really see it happen. Things have really been affected, including attitudes.

There's only a few big conventions even planned in Las Vegas this year. The Consumer Electronics Show is going on this month here and has really been toned down.

The effort to do the online events have been interesting however there's nothing like a good eyeball get together.

73 from,
    The K0UO "Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire, I'm In the Air or On the Air daily

K3XR, N9QYR, KQ0J and 1 other person like this.
  4. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess it really depends on what you are hoping to get out of the event, obviously if you are trying to sell stuff or buy stuff the more participants and quality vendors are good. Often times the $5 is to help the club out that is hosting the event. For many of these smaller hamfests it is for the local hams to get together.

I do hope the larger events survive and that I will make it to another one. Hamcation is on my list, maybe in a few years when my Daughter is old enough to appreciate Disney World.

5. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member

It goes towards renting the venue and paying for liability insurance.

KB0RTQ, N3VAN, KJ5T and 1 other person like this.
  6. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

The Alladin Shriner's Hamfest in Columbus Ohio was a smash hit as usual this past August!
    A nice rebound for a facet of our hobby crippled by the man made flu plague...

KC2VDM, W5ESE, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  7. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The hamfest you are referring to is sponsored by a local ham club and occurs 2-4 times per year. It's not meant to be a "full fledged" hamfest like Orlando but an opportunity for club members and others in the area to get-together to swap/trade on a more regular schedule. FYI.

.............Bob

N1CZZ, K2WH, N0EE and 4 others like this.
  8. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

@KQ0J sounds like you have an opportunity to organize a hamfest/fleamarket event yourself or your club. I'm not being flip, it sounds like there might be a need?
    I've done it with 1 other club member, hosting at a community center in the early spring. NH/ME hams get cabin fever that time of year and are looking for an excuse to go somewhere.

KA5WHO likes this.
  9. N8ZL

N8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

I went to the Tampa Bay HF and thought it was OK. I bought a near mint TS530s and a Gonset G66. I left happy.

10. N9QYR

N9QYR Ham Member QRZ Page

FL hams are spoiled. I wish there were a 10th of the hamfest here in Indiana no place. Other than Fort Wayne which is pretty good not much in the area. Making the 2 hour trek to Toledo for a tailgate Sunday 5/1 looks like a small one, but never know what you'll find unless you go. Indy is a no go and may never come back. No younger leadership stepped up to take over. Angola has been a good tailgate! Ebay and the many swap forums have definitely change the landscape though.

11. W9YW

W9YW Moderator Emeritus QRZ Page

We'll have ours June 11th in Bloomington IN, @N9QYR

K9EI likes this.
  12. N9QYR

N9QYR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll have to plan a trip to Nashville, IN and pop over.

13. AB4KA

AB4KA Ham Member QRZ Page

I was there and got the deal of the day...a 2018 ARRL handbook still in the wrapper for $5. Saw some cool stuff and got to meet a local news personality who is a member of the Tampa club. It was definitely worth the drive from Lakeland.

14. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think my first hamfest was 1959 even before receiving my Novice license. The "golden age" of hamfest passed us by some years back. There are many sites available via computer that assure those days do not return.

Sadly gone the way of doo-wop, real rock and roll and honest journalism.

WD9HRP and N8AFT like this.
  15. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Things always found, or were, Drake Twins, HW-101's, FT-101's, Johnson Rangers Valiant or Vike.
    Plenty of sub-par SW receivers, Tubes, Traps, Mics, some old tube CB radios, Rotors, 73, CQ es QST bk issues...
    Many hams I've asked about their hamfest for '22 indicate evryone too old, no kids to take their place, so no for '22... :(