ad: M2Ant-1

Surveying Flood Damage From The Air With 2-meter Ham Ops

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W7NY, Jan 11, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W7NY

W7NY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This flight takes us to Chehalis, Washington where recent storms caused significant flooding along the I-5 corridor.

I flew into and out of Chehalis Airport where the north end of the runway was partially submerged.

I conducted several 2-meter FM radio contacts on the return flight to Tacoma Narrows Airport where a slow taxiing airplane on the landing runway forced a go-around.

WX4C, PE1KWE, W4OTS and 24 others like this.
  2. KO4CES

KO4CES Ham Member QRZ Page

My first aircraft communication was done on 2 meters with HR1LEO. Until now, I could only guess the scope of his antenna installation. The technical detail included in your narrative is interesting and appreciated.

3. KG8ZQ

KG8ZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Crisp and professional. Thank you for sharing this.

K4SHS, G3SEA and KO4CES like this.
  4. WB6FQZ

WB6FQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice video....well done. TNX for NOT using obnoxious music-noise. I have a little time in a Cherokee...actually a Piper Archer. I am a non-currant fixed wing pilot. I learned to fly at Mojave and Tehachapi airports. I have about 950hrs. LEFT seat in helicopters. As you know, the right seat is the pilot in rotorcraft. For aeronautical mobile I used an HT with the antenna against the front windshield and a speaker-mike with an earphone. For video I used a hi-def camera with a tiny lavalier mic in the left earcup of the David Clark headset. This worked very well to alleviate the turbine/ rotor noise plus the video picked up the intercom and radio traffic. TNX for the update on the conix up there..............

KI5PLE, K4SHS and KO4CES like this.
  5. KM6WWY

KM6WWY Ham Member QRZ Page

VERY nice video. Private SEL Instrument with about 1200 hours, no longer flying. Enjoyed the mixture of Air and Ham radio traffic. You are definitely cool, smooth and practiced at communicating while flying the airplane. Loved the how the camera showed the nose wheel perfectly on the centerline for every landing. Please keep them coming.

KO4CES and W7UUU like this.
  6. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

w7ny,

it sounds like you solved your earlier noise issue into the 2 meter audio, was it an intercom grounding problem or a ground issue with the mags or something else that you found?

Mike, down in Salem

W7UUU likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Love the video, Bill! It's really cool to have the "rear camera facing forward" like that - really makes for a super "like being there" video!

I will keep an ear out for you again next time you're "air mobile" - I regularly monitor KTIW and KPWT (I'm in Burley, so very near to both)

Dave
    W7UUU

W4OTS likes this.
  8. DL6BCX

DL6BCX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well done! Happy that there is no music in the background.

9. M7BTZ

M7BTZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks amazing, unfortunately, ops like this are illegal for all classes of license here in the UK maybe that will change in the future until then great video 73!

Will, M7BTZ

10. KJ7WT

KJ7WT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow! I had heard of some flooding up there (most of my family lives in the Puyallup area) but did not realize how bad it was near Chehalis. Cool video, I'm just an "armchair" aviation enthusiast with a couple of hours of dual.

11. AC7KQ

AC7KQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great Video. I was west bound out of Rainer, when I answered your call on 146.52. Thanks for the video, 73 Ray ac7kq

12. N7DBI

N7DBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video. Been a while since I have been in one of those. Thank you for the post.

13. W6DX

W6DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video and very informative. Thanks!
    We used to fly a V-tail Bonanza (H-35 model) out of Holman Field (Now St. Paul Downtown Airport) back in Zero-land in the 1950s and early 60s. Always nice to see good cockpit video from private planes.

Barrie, W6DX ex K0WWG

14. K4BMW

K4BMW Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool video.

15. AG7KO

AG7KO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great to hear my friend Thom N7MYP at the end of your amateur radio contacts. I suppose now Thom will be charging for autographs. Sorry I missed the event. I'll have my 2m radio tuned to the call channel more often now that I know you're out there! 73 Scott AG7KO