ad: cq2k-1

630M NAVTEX Test Active RX Loop 137khz-30Mhz

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Dec 31, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Logopit_1640807467094.jpg

K1OC, AA5BK, N4LDB and 7 others like this.
  2. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the review Julian. The Chameleon RXL has a very big price tag :)... Have you considered comparing it to one of many $50- $70 VLF-MF receive loops available from other manufacturers? 73 from an old "Ute" operator.. n6spp-cm98

Attached Files:

KK1LL, M1WML and DL4QB like this.
  3. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video as always, Julian. Thanks for taking the time to share these details.

M1WML and OH8STN like this.
  4. K8TDN

K8TDN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

most everything Chameleon makes has a high price tag

N6SPP, M1WML and DL4QB like this.
  5. OH8STN

Thanks for the question.
    I reached out to several manufacturers, telling them about the Operators problem. Two companies came back showing interest in helping solve the Operators RX antenna issue. Ultimately it was Chameleon who aent over the loop so I could make the video. This was not a review of the RXL per se, it was showing how we use active loops for shortwave listening with a less than optimal space.
    With this said, operators can choose an active Loop which fits their budgets and requirements. Not against featuring other loops, just need a way to sponsor other videos.
    Julian oh8stn

N6SPP and M1WML like this.
  6. OH8STN

Unlike vaccines, nobody is forcing us to buy products from Chameleon. Buy what's good for you.
    Julian oh8stn

W7IVK, WD4ELG, M1WML and 2 others like this.
  7. OH8STN

Thanks for the comment and kindness. It's always nice when someone reaches out with a problem. Making a video to help solve the issues is an honor.
    Thanks for watching, it's very much appreciated.
    Julian oh8stn

M1WML likes this.
  8. DL4QB

DL4QB QRZ Lifetime Member #719 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Wow, that´s a big price tag for a receive loop. Radio stuff shouldn´t be so expensive also not for SWL.

Why not take a look to LZ1QA Loop Amp. It has some really big advantage:
    https://active-antenna.eu/

1. Play around with different types of Antennas you build by your own *very* easy.
    2. Cat 5/6 Cable, so you can have the looop up to 100m away if you want nearly without a loss of signal.
    3. It withstand 1kW or more beside a TX Antenna without to switch off. I tried with the allowed 750W in DL. Still works fine.
    4. So much cheaper at all.

Julian don´t get me wrong, i like your Videos SO MUCH, but sometimes i have the impression, only the most expensive equipment counts.
    Same with the MPAS. Might work, easy to use, yes and i agree but 600$ for a 1:5 / 1:6 UNUN and 7.x m of wire. Come back to easy and cheaper soltions please and present this :)
    Another thing could be, show us just one alternative system if available. For RX Loops, they are. :)

Please continue with your really good reviews and work!! :)

73 Andre

K4VGN and M1WML like this.
  9. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't mind a price if it's quality and doesn't come from China. I would build one though before store bought. Here is a decent project if your into it. https://www.pa1m.nl/simple-active-receive-loop/
    I build as I have time on my hands but if you don't have time the Chameleon is a great choice.

Thanks Julian.

K0UO, M1WML and KO4CES like this.
  10. KE2X

KE2X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HI JULIAN, I LOVE ALL YOUR VIDEOS, KEEP IT GOING... PLEASE LOOK ME UP, EMAIL ME, CAN ALSO SEND YOU CONTACT INFO. I AM LOOKING TO SOLVE A TECHNICAL ISSUE W/ APRS & TABLETS. I KNOW IT'S RIGHT UP YOUR ALLEY. HELP ME THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX TO MAKE A CONFIGURATION WORK. STAYSAFE! JOHN (PALOOCH) KD2PTX

M1WML likes this.
  11. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I never considered the Chameleon because I already have a Pixel Loop - now sold by DX Engineering. It has a "Mobieus Loop" multi turn wire loop inside EMT tubing, so really is H plane only. I use it a lot on LF and VLF. for general use, loops need to live on top of a rotator, seems like there's always one noise or another to turn away from.

great project! the loop is the easy part, the magic is the pre-amp. honestly, I don't think that pre-amp is a great design. RX loops need > 30dB gain, very low noise, very low IP3 and dynamic range, because there's lots of stuff coming and going on the low bands. And, it's nice to have am AM BCB notch filter, if you have transmitters nearby (within 5 miles?).

maybe some day we could have a receiving loop test.

N6SPP, K0TWA and M1WML like this.
  12. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

13. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have done limited things with receive loops so I will defer. Been in and out of my radar for a while now so I am curious what is the best build. Might just get into a project like that.

14. K8TDN

K8TDN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was just saying they are costly...you have to chose what you use..I onw their mag loop with the rotator and compensator...I got it in a package deal when I was purchasing other equipment; I am sure I would not have purchased it new...I was looking at the delta kit..it is $99 and everythong but the hub I already own so for me to spend $99 for the hub seems a lot. I enjoy your videos and you are definitely the one person I go to for portable field operation kit - equipment.

15. KJ4YQK

KJ4YQK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They are high but you do get what you pay for. I am very happy with the CHA MPAS system purchase and use it for camping.

I purchased a Carolina Windom from radio works 10 years ago that cost a lot compared to others, but the Antenna is still in the air today running North to South. It has held up to the weather. Another cheaper version running East to West only lasted about 3 years.

After writing this, I might buy a Chameleon wired antenna to replace that cheaper antenna for my home base since Radio Works is not in business anymore.

How is Radiowavz for quality?