ad: elecraft

QTH Antenna Overhall

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K0BJJ, Dec 2, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K0BJJ

K0BJJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have experience with end fed antennas? Check out my latest video let me know what I'm doing right or wrong. Not mentioned in the video is a Nelson Antennas 9 to 1 unun.

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Spelling.

VE7KPM likes this.
  3. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ll give this guy credit. At least he posts this stuff in the appropriate forum section.

VE7KPM, W1ZY, NN4RH and 1 other person like this.
  4. K0BJJ

KE0GXN likes this.
  5. K0BJJ

I normally dont have a lot of time to make these posts. I do them at work so. Need to slow down a bit.

K0UO likes this.
  6. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Ben, no need to apologize...Ron's just teasing ya.

I kinda flipped quickly through the video. What I saw is you're using a 9:1 unun and a 50 foot radiating element. I conclude that you're trying for a non-resonant multi-band antenna...a random-wire or long-wire antenna.

The antenna isn't designed to work without a tuner, so don't be disappointed with the analyzer results.

50 feet in length should probably be avoided: https://kx3helper.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/endfed-antenna-info-sheet.pdf

There are ideal lengths that have been mathematically determined to be best for random wires. Here they are: 29 35 41 58 71 84 107 119 148 203 347 407 423

I run 35 feet for my random wire antenna length.

Also, I missed the info on your counterpoise...that's going to be important as well. Lots of folks say 1/4 wave on lowest band. I run 21 feet for my portable setup.

Please share more details as you continue to experiment.

WA7JNJ likes this.
  7. K0BJJ

So your missing more information than whats on that video. to answer your question though that is accurate. I don't have have counterpoise currently set up on it. To get you the most accurate information. Shortly after I got done recording the video I did take that antenna down and put up an 84 foot wire, and that does tune ALOT better. So from your suggestion a counterpoise, something I could easily do and should have done in the first place, would make that even better. Thank you for the constructive feedback, I hardly get any of that on here or on YouTube.

KE0GXN likes this.
  8. WD4ELG

Ben, well done, Sir!

Please don't give up asking questions. Some of us on here really do want to help. Sort out the noise from the nuggets on the Zed.

And please keep us posted. I greatly enjoy hearing how others are experimenting and succeeding with antennas. It's enjoyable to read, and a lot more interesting than a couple of hams on the Zed arguing about theoretical calculations.

9. K0BJJ

That's good to hear. I'm always open to suggestions on my videos. Unfortunately if I get a bunch of people on here being dicks I tend to ignore comments on that post from that point on, and thats not fair to people like you who mean well trying to help.

10. VE7KPM

VE7KPM Ham Member QRZ Page

It shows.

NN4RH likes this.
  11. WD4ELG

Ben, just keep moving forward. :D