ad: Radclub22-1

A New Cage for your IC-705

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Dec 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike N2HTT from https://hamgear3d.com/ has made an amazing 3d printed case to protect your IC-705, take a look and be sure to check out Mike's website for yours.

N2CLE, KE8JWE, KC9YDC and 1 other person like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Once again--

PLA printing will not take any shear impulse of force--doing so will cause a major fracture of the printed structure.

The objective of the frame is to protect the radio...but what protects the frame?

Those handles are an invitation for fracture. Bump it hard, or drop it a few inches and the split will happen and be unreparable. UNLESS you print with ABS, which is less likely.

Mike's files make a very elaborate device--a very nice package to print. But chalk the 3D printed frame as convenience rather than protection.( I work with dozens of 3D printers daily--when they are up and running!)

Chip W1YW

2E0SGJ likes this.
  3. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have one of those >$170.00 aluminum cages, which was talked about in the forum here, oh, six months ago. Worth every cent.

KK4NTX likes this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Appears that the right hand portion of the "cage" - the handle - will somewhat restrict access to the main tuning knob.

The screen protector/sun screen panel, though a good idea, appears at it's extreme open position to be limited to the vertical position. If that's so, it's a pity it doesn't fold flat down on the top of the radio.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  5. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

The Windcamp ARK-705. I have one of those also and I really like it.

KQ1V and KK4NTX like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve,

If you already have an aluminum frame for the IC-705, why did you make a 3D printed PLA one? This has some relevance for me, as I have an IC-705 and am considering the aluminum frame. OTOH I can 3D print an ABS one...Is cost the issue?

Chip W1YW

7. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Chip! Mike reached out to me and asked me to take a look. This is a high quality 3D printed case and after two field trips with the radio it has held up pretty well. I'll admit I'm still in the honeymoon phase though. I like to try out new things and share results with people. That's what excites me about the hobby.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Understood. Nothing wrong with that. The $170 frame is pretty expensive--but so is you time;-)

'High quality' usually means ABS. I am sure that this is a fine project with ABS.

It takes a lot of work to draft up the files for this stuff. People used to take several COLLEGE COURSES just to learn the equivalent of that:) I am all for encouraging that type of learning without the expense of college.

This is actually among the best 'parts' prints I have seen in ham radio. At least we're not making cute animal figurines:)! You would be surprised how many 3D printers are sold that get about 10 hours use of less.... and usually print out toys.

For me, the likelihood that one of our TAZ printers will fail in the ABS print is high; the ARk aluminum case is down below $120.... to me that may make more sense, but your opinion may differ.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  9. K1KTF

K1KTF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well frankly speaking.....Nice effort, but (honestly) it looks a bit bold against the nice lines, black case and touch screen of the IC705. Also how would I get it into my LC-192 backpack? I get the importance of a protective case but I'll just handle my 705 with care for now. BTW - I really like the lead out music at the end. 73 - Steve (K1KTF)

K9WWW likes this.
  10. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

I was going for "notice me bold" - I think a big selling point of this radio is the "hey, what's that?" curiosity as people walk by. The Elecraft KX line is fantastic in performance and capability, but it doesn't have that wow factor visual like the ic-705 or the x6100 do.

K1KTF likes this.
  11. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

If you get the ARK, it isn't compatible with the original windcamp antenna mount (oversight?). There is a new windcamp antenna mount that I have coming that should work with it.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds cool.

Nice work.

13. DE6MSW

DE6MSW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

:) ;) IC 705 Sounds cool. Nice work. 73s :D:)

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Steve,

I too have the backpack.

The protective case appears helpful for stowing in something different than the backpack, and nicely positions the radio when on a table--such as a picnic table or rock.

Chip W1YW

K1KTF likes this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW,

KM9G has another nice video on the actual Windcamp Ark 705 (in metal) which you might want to take a look at on Youtube.

Based on these two videos. I just bought the metal one, which is far less that $120 at the moment...your opinion may differ on the choice.

Chip W1YW