ad: Mountaingoat-1

Antenna inspection with a mini drone - DJI Mini 2

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Nov 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W4THC

W4THC Ham Member QRZ Page

The b4ufly app does NOT give you any local, county or state law information. It may tell you it is ok to fly but Barney Fife may not think so. So the app is pretty useless a lot of times. If you're going to fly someplace other than around your home, I would check everything out before you take off.

2. W1SPS

W1SPS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Right on. I just got the TRUST thing done. Waiting to get home and get the serial number off the drone to finish the drone registration with the FAA. I'll find some local references and get a couple other apps to "average" my data.

3. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

My only issue is it seems Drones attract unwanted attention from neighbor's. I prefer to do things quietly rather than disturb. All my inspections are with a Spotting scope instead. Now if you have some space it is and ideal solution but if not it could cause as much trouble as it assists you.

KD8DWO, WD4ELG and K0UO like this.
  4. VE3PUH

VE3PUH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, Robin. I use my DJI Mini to hang wire antennas. Because the Mini is so small, I first fly 2lb fishing line in the desired spot, then I pull through 12 lb line, and then para cord. Naturally I have to go only up and over the top as opposed to over the lowest branch, but then again usually the higher the better. I attach the fishing line to the drone with a piece of tape on the side of the body of the drone so as to make a break free device that will not pull the drone down due to accidents, wind or snags. Hey, I love to have a Mini 2 or larger but the small one does the job so far, and I'd rather put my dollars into other HAM radios or accessories.
    70 from John, VE3PUH

5. VE3PUH

VE3PUH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, so true about the attention thing! I always point the drone towards me, I keep it down to twice the height of the tree I am attaching to, and the best times are early morning when others are either working, not out yet, and the weather is usually calm.
    Cheers. 73 John VE3PUH

6. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a really great idea! Years ago when I was pulling cable in a suspended ceiling I used a four wheel driver remote control Truck to pull my line across helps if it has head lights. Once the pull line was across.I hooked the wire to it then pull it. Saved me many hours.

KD8DWO likes this.
  7. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I had a drone but one day it decided it didn't want to play anymore and as it was cruising over a lake it took a suicide plunge.

Still on the bottom about 4 years now.........................

N6SPP likes this.
  8. W4THC

Didn't heed the warnings of flying over water it seems...

9. N4EMP

N4EMP Ham Member QRZ Page

Used same to try seeing where my antenna is broken. Hard to get a good clear pic but I’m getting close!

Attached Files:

K0UO and W3ATT like this.
  10. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I did a similar video on my channel for a friend.

I'm also part 107 certified here in the USA and do a fair amount of commercial drone work.

K8XG and W4THC like this.
  11. W4THC

Ham radios and flying quadcopters seem to go hand in hand for tower/antenna inspections/wire antenna installs. Congrats on your 107 cert.

12. CA3FJK

CA3FJK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

tower inspection and antennas are an useful application of drones. There are quieter propellers in the market that are way more stealth than the stock ones in case the noise its a concern. Over 30ft in the air there is almost no noticeable noise.

time ago I put a endfed antenna up and make some QSOs in 40m, It was a interesting test.

W4THC likes this.
  13. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes I had the same idea and will have to try with mine.

14. W2GIW

W2GIW Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a crank down tower. Why not just drop it and have a first hand look?
    Len

WB5THT likes this.
  15. K4VL

K4VL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tried that but two no fly zones converge over my house. The drone would not take off.