ad: Mountaingoat-1

Antenna inspection with a mini drone - DJI Mini 2

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Nov 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Robin VA2NRJ and I had a discussion about a useful drone for amateur radio applications, the DJI Mini 2. This small drone does not require a license in Canada, as it weighs less than 250 grams (8.81 oz). It has a 4k camera, GPS, sensors under the device (obstacle detection) super stable and easy to fly. We took the opportunity to present videos of our respective antenna infrastructures. Watch the replay of this QSO recorded on Saturday, November 13, 2021 on a live streaming, which also includes Q&A from our viewers present at the event.

73 from Robin VA2NRJ and Pascal VA2PV.

DroneRobinENHD2.jpg

K7GCN, NF6E, KC1X/SK2022 and 11 others like this.
  2. NK8I

NK8I Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool, will watch later when I can. Hopefully can answer what information can be taken from an exterior image of an antenna.

K1LKP, VA2PV and HB9EPC like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I use this one to do Far field RF testing on my big antennas, and also to do Tower inspections. I have both E&H Fields power density meter mounted on this large commercial drone.

I've also used it to put wire antennas on the tops of trees.
    This is no toy
    73 from,
    The K0UO "Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire, I'm In the Air or On the Air daily

Screenshot_20211114-150857_Chrome.jpg

K7GCN, W7JMP, KD8DWO and 6 others like this.
  4. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

VERY COOL!

VA2PV and K0UO like this.
  5. W4THC

W4THC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been doing this for years now. Current FAA Commercial sUAS 107 cert since 2017.

K4SHS, W7UUU, W3TPL and 3 others like this.
  6. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very cool!!! It doesn't look like a toy. 73

K1LKP and K0UO like this.
  7. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent. Thanks for posting!

K1LKP and K0UO like this.
  8. F4BND

F4BND XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice vidéo ... F4BND

9. W1SPS

W1SPS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a Mavic Air 2 and a Firehouse Technology payload dropper that I use for hanging wire antennas. I usually suspend a 2oz fishing weight about 3 feet from the drone, then attach the line from a deep sea fishing reel to the weights (this keeps the line far from the rotors). I fly up and over the target I want to hang the line on (with enough height that the weights can drop to the ground) and let them fly. If you rotate the camera to look at the ground you can watch exactly where you are dropping the weights.
    The air cannons are cool but sometimes require a couple tries. The drone is a sure shot every time. At least it has been for me.
    It's also fun to drop water balloons on the kids in the pool and fly beers to people. lol

KA2FIR, W4GOV and KL7JKC like this.
  10. W4THC

Are you 107 or TRUST certified?

11. W1SPS

nope, but i don't go much higher than treetops. And I only do it for me, it's not a business.
    When did this trust thing start?

12. W4THC

You have to at least pass the TRUST exam to fly now. FAA required....In the USA

W7UUU likes this.
  13. W1SPS

Hmm, Just started as a requirement in April 2021. That makes sense. I got the drone before that. Ill have to look into that. Thanks for the heads up.

14. W4THC

All the uboober's in the past have slowly ruined quadcopters flying through the years doing stupid stuff for recreational pilots. Local and state laws have been made too. I've watched my flying freedom dwindle down in the last 4+ years now. Plus you have to register them and tag your drone with the FAA number.

The FAA will do more. I get email surveys from the FAA asking me questions. With Amazon and all the others, there could be traffic controllers to deal with in the future before taking off from anywhere.....I have the newest Amazon warehouse near me in Republic Missouri. Delivery drones will be passing over my house in the (near?) future...

Anyway happy flying!

15. W1SPS

I'm reviewing the TRUST course right now, already have the B4UFLY app. Thanks again.