ad: k1jek

New FT8 Software - AutoFT8

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Nov 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

This could be controversy, a contest winner, or the true spirit of ham radio where we experiment and see how far we can push the limits of technology.

Either way, it was fun to play with, Be sure to join us next week where KM4ACK and I play with Build-A-Pi and Winlink!

MW7OFS, M1WML, KD9OKC and 2 others like this.
  2. K8NY

K8NY Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, yes, yes. As I had once predicted this is now with us: the epitome of Hamster Radio, Auto FT8.
    Where will these Hamsters take us in the future. Stick around kids to find out.

W7XLR, KF7PCL, G3SEA and 7 others like this.
  3. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

And of course, it's a podcast I won't watch. More offloading wasted time on the viewers rather than an actual text description of what the heck it is.

W7XLR, K0HGO, K2WH and 43 others like this.
  4. KB8TEG

KB8TEG Ham Member QRZ Page

does it run on linux debian

W7XLR, M1WML, YC8DV and 2 others like this.
  5. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

You want a text description? Turn on subtitles.

W2UH, N3LAC, KJ7UYT and 9 others like this.
  6. KY4GD

KY4GD Ham Member QRZ Page

Everything runs on Debian.

Correction: Everything worth a s*it does.

KO4PJW, KJ7OES, M1WML and 4 others like this.
  7. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yawn...
    WSJT-Z Mod by SQ9FVE has been around for quite some time now. Does auto CQ and also auto calling. Has a lot of filtering options so you can filter out what you are seeing in the decode window. A few other handy controls in the main panel as well.

VE2GCE, 2E0TXE, KI7QBL and 7 others like this.
  8. N9AMI

N9AMI Ham Member QRZ Page

Been around for a few years this is nothing new. Just someone that thinks they have developed something new. WSJT-Z Mod is better. And yes the mode is brainless. Full auto 20K contacts in a year.. Brainless...

W7XLR, KI7QBL, WQ4G and 12 others like this.
  9. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's great for padding your logs but you'll likely miss a lot of good DX when on auto. You'll pick up a lot of the more common DX but not so much the GOOD stuff. You'll have to be on your toes and put in some concentrated work or time for that even on FT8.

W7XLR, W2GPR, W2ZF and 14 others like this.
  10. KY4GD

Thank you for saying this, it is true. FT-8 is absolutely not the same as CW or SSB, but automated FT-8 is almost embarrassingly irrelevant. Couldn't you just look at someone's logs and see that they are making a new FT-8 contact every 90 seconds for 48 consecutive hours? It might technically count towards awards, but so what? These awards are like grades in high school - they only let *you* know how well you are doing, cheating is kind of pointless.

Let the cheaters feel important. Real hams know what is what. FT-8 is awesome, IMHO, but it is different from phone or any other more intimate mode.

My $0.02

VE3NEJ, W7XLR, K5RCD and 39 others like this.
  11. CE3VRT

CE3VRT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Please make concise short videos, 1 hour long video of downloading, installing and running a FT8 robot it's just boring

KF4ZKU, AJ6KZ, K1BQY and 13 others like this.
  12. WM8Q

WM8Q Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a case for semi-automated help with FT8:

If you're a "rare" state, you can get pounded relentlessly, even be shamed into not sleeping so you can help your fellow hams get the last state they need for WAS.

...not to mention county-hunters.

M1WML and KM9G like this.
  13. KY4GD

Fair enough, but IMHO there is still a difference in the effort involved. I am certainly not wise enough to be responsible for drawing that line, but it exists.

I have never had a single SSB contact. Not one. And in my own mind, I am not a ham, I am a beginner who has used FT-8 to learn a few things. Had I earned those awards with an automated script, I would be even less than nothing. I have nothing against WSJT-Z or other automated software, I just see it for what it is. A cool cheat. A hack. A work-around that proves that a person is clever enough to cheat themself. And that isn't so damn clever, IMHO.

WQ4G, KI5GFU, M1WML and 8 others like this.
  14. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I was going to reference a P-Utube video, but apparently it has been removed. Or hidden. Or something.

Anyway, as I recall, the video was made by "Ham Radio Dude" - KM9G's cohort in this thread's video - and he was going to stop making P-Utube videos.

Either he had a change of heart or is going to ride shotgun on others' videos.

Odd.

Here's that original thread and the removed/disappeared/hidden/whatever video:

11-09-21--23:58:03.png

M1WML, NK2U, G7DAZ and 2 others like this.
  15. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

It should run with Debian, but i didnt try. The AutoFT8 is an extension for the WSJT-X, which runs with Debian. But unfortunately not always stable. And the extension to that seems to be a Python script. Think about Youtube-dl, its just a multiplatform script too.

M1WML and W9FFF like this.