ad: M2Ant-1

How To Program The Yaesu FT5 with ADMS-14 And Front Panel

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Nov 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

This video shows you how to program both simplex and repeater frequencies into the Yaesu FT5 Programming From Front Panel And Computer. The software used is from Yaesu and is the ADMS-14. Best part about this software is that it is free to download. However, you will need the SCU-19 programming cable. The Yaesu FT5 is one of the easiest radios to program from the front panel.

WM7C, KD5BVX and AA5BK like this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

One would think that for a radio costing just south of $500 that Yaesu would have thrown in a manual. :rolleyes:

3. K5KTD

K5KTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Windows only.

4. N1WHO

N1WHO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just picked one up last week. It does come with a manual, but the usb cable it comes with is NOT the one you need for programming it. That just seems downright silly since the included cable literally serves no purpose whatsoever. At least it’s easy to program without the need for the software. The cable is really my only gripe about this radio. :cool:

After a bit of poking around, It looks like there's also an advanced manual as well as a Wires-x manual that are only available as PDFs. :cool:

WJ6F likes this.
  5. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

IF memory serves the cable that cam with the FT5 is for updating the firmware.

6. N1WHO

I just noticed that in the manual. My computer doesn’t recognize the radio at all with the supplied cable though. I’ve updated all the drivers and software with no luck so I’m going to pick up an SCU-19 on Monday and give it a go. Overall, it’s a minor inconvenience since the radio is so easy to program via the panel anyway. :D

WJ6F likes this.
  7. K7LTF

K7LTF Ham Member QRZ Page

i have a 3dr, and no hopefully no grudges if it was your first radio - but if you want to upgrade, i just don't see any major incentive. However they are both good radios. I have had the 2dr , beforehand and yes either 3 or the 5 is a major step up.

WJ6F likes this.
  8. N1WHO

I was on the fence for a while between the FT 3D and FT5D while I was shopping. For me, there didn't seem to be a huge difference between the two as far as features to justify the $100 price difference. I went with the 5 since I was able to pick it up in person at my local Gigaparts on my day off. Anyways, I've been happy with the radio. :D

WJ6F likes this.
  9. N1SAK

N1SAK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Only had mine about 2 weeks and have had no issues programming about 40 repeaters into it from the front end. Do wanna get used to the ADMS-14 software though. Next step, once I figure out if I need a different cable than the one that came with it (which fits the "Data" port, btw.) Believe it was listed as an SCH-19, not "U" as someone mentioned above.

10. N0UTJ

N0UTJ Ham Member QRZ Page

For those that use software (who doesn't ?) to program their FT5DR, which is better, free Yaesu's ADMS-14 with the $59 SCU-39 or the RT-Systems software, about $55, with USB cable ?

Is there any difference in ease of use or capabilities or ease of use ?

I believe I've read that with the ADMS-14 you can save it to the microSD card instead of using the cable setup.

I've used the RT-Systems on other radios, FT70D, myself.

Thank you for any opinions, help or advise you can provide.

11. AD6WL

AD6WL Ham Member QRZ Page

Use the free software from the Yaesu website and use and SD card. Easy n cheap.