ad: chuckmartin

The BEST Multiband HF Antenna for Limited Spaces!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Oct 28, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've not had the room for a full size HF antenna such as a dipole, or even a G5RV. So I got myself a DX Commander All Band Vertical from Callum - the DX Commander and WOW! This antenna is so simple and allows me to operate on EVERY HF band using only a small footprint in my yard as I don't have room for a dipole, even a EFHW.

MW7OFS, AA5BK and N2HUN like this.
  2. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

no room and... not enough space to copy/paste the whole antenna brochure? too bad ain't...

Oliver

VA2AKG likes this.
  3. N2HUN

N2HUN Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad to hear it, have a good time with your new vertical.

4. AE4CH

AE4CH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for highlighting the installation. Are you placing any lightning protection in the coax? Are you grounding the DXC in any way other than the coax?

5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Some would praise even a light bulb if it made contacts...and yes they do at least the old ones with a filament

WO8USA, VA2AKG, KE0GXN and 1 other person like this.
  6. KY4GD

KY4GD Ham Member QRZ Page

Fair enough, but at least Callum is legit and honest about the DX Commander line. He doesn't promise that it will mow your lawn and make your kids call more often, like many vendors do.

Callum: "Is it perfect? No, but it works."

Others: "Our antenna requires no installation, no feedline, and makes distant SSB sound like Dolby 7.2!"

7. 2E0SVB

2E0SVB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you have room for a DXC then you have room for a proper mast and antenna. The DXC is OK, but still a vertical and still noisy in comparison to other options. A Hex Beam would be a better choice.

WD4ELG likes this.
  8. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

Hustler 6BTV ?

9. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hayden, if that is salt water I see in your video, then that will make a huge positive difference in the antenna's performance. With salt water in the near field, your signals will propagate much better. Regardless of the number of radials placed in the near field to reduce losses (the factor we can control with a vertical), the far field reflective characteristics are out of our control. By having a highly conductive ground in the far field (beyond a couple of wavelengths) the signals will propagate much more efficiently.

https://www.qsl.net/l/lu7did/docs/QRPp/09.pdf

10. DL9ZAL

DL9ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

ou man, not enough space...you have plenty space for the dx commander !!! ....I am living in the centre of my town...and really I don't have space at all...living in an appartment, which isn't mine, got the owner to permit me to install a groundplane with shortened radials. Wish to have so much space as You have...anyway enjoy dx hunting and 73s ...not to complain about my situation, which could be worse....Antenna is a Fritzel GPA 303 (30/17/12m) and Radials are from Prosistel/Italy...working great, plus LogPer VHF-SHF and Homemade 6m/4m Dipol, @7,75m above ground

Attached Files:

• Tom7.jpg
      Tom7.jpg
      File size:
      692.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    VU2JO and VA2AKG like this.
  11. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You don’t have 60 feet?

I have a 60 foot end-fed that I work the world and all bands on. No need for a vertical or the DXC.

VA2AKG and WN1MB like this.
  12. VK7HH

It looks close, but it's about 2-3km away! Thanks

13. VK7HH

Not in this rental it's not. I'd be putting up a "proper mast and antenna" if it was my house. Hexbeam is too wide to fit, it would hit the house, I'd love one though!

14. 2E0SVB

2E0SVB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Forgive me, I assumed - very bad of me.

Well you aren't going to do much better than the DXC in those circumstances then. I built mine in the summer and took it on a few club field weekends and it performed well. I did look at an Italian company a month or so ago called Vertical Array who produce superb multiband verticals - not cheap at around £700 shipped to the UK, but from the reviews I have read, suspect it would be a clear performance step up from the DXC.