ad: elecraft

Did I Save Some Money?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Oct 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

KE0QKF, N5XMV, N7BWB and 11 others like this.
  2. ZS1SBW

ZS1SBW QRZ Lifetime Member #505 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

yawn

AE0Q, NG0L, KB2HSH and 9 others like this.
  3. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably saved a little by not using the large lugs for the inside connections.

4. KC2PMM

KC2PMM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Does it really matter?

KE0GXN, KS0FD, HB9EPC and 2 others like this.
  5. KF2YD

KF2YD Ham Member QRZ Page

Why is Amazon sensoring the bad reviews ?

DL1RAS likes this.
  6. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Because they are unethical :( do a little research into Amazon you’ll see.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    DL1RAS, WA7DUH, W8BBM and 3 others like this.
  7. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Fawn

ZS1SBW likes this.
  8. W9MDT

W9MDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have built several of these, found most of the hardware and wire(used thermastat wire instead of enameled) at a big box hardware store , sourced my toroid and pl-259 elsewhere. Used a 4x4x2 outdoor junction box. They work great with a tuner.

KN4IFI, XE1FFZ, W5HEH and 2 others like this.
  9. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

OK for the money, I suppose. But in rainy environments, it will definitely leak water and see condensation form. But you can grease the connections up to limit ingress, and I would always drill a modest hole in the lowest point of the box, however it's mounted, to allow moisture out.

KC1DR and W5HEH like this.
  10. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

I would make my own. I would never buy from Comrade amazon!

KN4IFI, DL1RAS, KB7RWA and 3 others like this.
  11. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope. Far cheaper on the auction site for the same item.

12. K9EI

K9EI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think half of the stuff in the "kit" is unnecessary. Just get the wire and a ferrite core with a known value, and spray it with flex-seal. I made a 64:1 with a type 52 core for $10.......

13. NJ3T

NJ3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,
    If you build a random length end fed wire then you could use your kit to build a 9:1 balun for it but the EFHW needs a 49:1 transformer to work. The half wavelength wire has a very high impedance on it's end and requires the 49:1 to bring it down to match your 50 ohm coax. Some use a 64:1 xfmr. Don't forget to use a 1:1 to help block CMC on the feedline. Install it in the feed line at the outside entrance to the shack. You can buy a 4x4x2 wx proof electrical junction box at Lowes or Home Depot (or online) for using a FT240 size core. It works great. You can also build your 1:1 on a FT240-43 and use a electrical junction box for it.

Another good place for a kit or kit parts is HF KITS which is in Europe. They have good stuff but the exchange rate in currency and shipping means it gets a little expensive. Still there on line instructions for their kits may help someone.
    73 and keep up the good work!
    Experimenting with antenna design is a great part of being a Ham! I love it!

N3TGY, KS0E, K9EI and 1 other person like this.
  14. NJ3T

NJ3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Where did you find a FT240-52 core and the wire for a 64:1 for $10 ? I am interested in buying some.

K9EI likes this.
  15. K9EI

K9EI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They were much less than $10. My entire sha-bang was $10. Smaller size 1.5" cores. Ham-fests are your friend......