ad: elecraft

Even more updates on the Xiegu X6100

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Oct 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK7BMS

KK7BMS Ham Member QRZ Page

2. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No matter if they're communist or not - certainly not my choice of ways to live but no apparent impact on radio quality as far as I can tell because the G90 is a nice enough rig.

3. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice little rig but not really a true field radio. To use my own words from another thread:

What we really need is a more rugged HF/VHF/UHF radio – and I mean military type ruggedness in a class such as that of the Harris Falcon III, Barrett, or Codan radios. And not so many big knobs sticking out – they tend to break easily. Also not so many jacks/wires poking out of the sides. Its much too messy and won’t easily fit into a case with stuff plugged in. And a true field radio will have universal power input – it will operate from internal batteries, or accept an input from 10-30vdc, or 110/220vac. All in one box. With today’s power supply technology it can be done fairly easily and keep weight reasonable too. And please, get rid of the touch screens. While okay on your tablet or smart phone, they are a real pain and a big mistake magnet on a field radio, especially with thick gloves. The US Navy recently dumped all of the touch screen navigation controls on its destroyers in favor of proven mechanical systems for the same reason. Such a radio would likely cost about the same as a tricked out KX-3 but would be much more value for dollar.

So the ham radio which still comes closer to these goals in this class is the good old Yaesu FT-817/818.

N7XCZ and KE8OKM like this.
  4. HB9PJT

HB9PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

No, I don't need a military ruggedness rig. I go radio but not to war. I don't have a catepillar smartphone either. Also there I don't know why. I also don't need VHF/UHF, because I don't have such bulky antennas with me. I do not know why certain OM have such dreams.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

UT7UX, WG5ENE and K3FHP like this.
  5. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does not xmit om all of the U.S. bandplan. just open up the xmit, we know where we're allowed to operate

6. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Peter, I just wanted to say your QRZ Page is great, lovely photo’s and great innovation.

73, Pad

7. KK7SS

KK7SS Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if thye have fixed the problem with the sloppy fit of the soft buttons,?
    The 3 X5105's I've had, all had the problem that the soft touch buttons would move and get stuck under the face plate.
    Most annoying and the reason I got rid of then !
    There was a proposed solution of putting small pieces if credit cards between the button and the switch!
    But, IMHO, it's up the Xeigu to fix that problem !

73, Dave KK7SS

8. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agree. Still portable gear has to withstand some average wear that would be caused by average use. Too tiny gear could be easily occasionally broken during average outdoor activity.

Because we don't want to trade ruggedness for everything else. Otherwise rugged phone would be better than non rugged.

Because there is no one to work with. Except SAT.

Consider it a kind of man's toys. Nothing is wrong with it IMO.

DM2TT likes this.
  9. AD0YR

AD0YR Ham Member QRZ Page

I

10. AD0YR

AD0YR Ham Member QRZ Page

I would be interested if 20 watt output and a built-in tuner,, , AD0YR!!!

11. W8YA

W8YA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Screen never changes in the video? Not cool man!

12. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder why RadioDitty has these in stock HF/VHF/UHF yet puts the 6100 on the top of the fold of their webstie:

https://www.radioddity.com/products/radioddity-qr20

$699 list but their sale bundle with matching backpack is $669 Now to find reviews or a Groups.IO site to see what bugs are with this one.

RADIODDITY QR20 SDR RADIO | FULL BAND CW SSB RTTY AM FM DMR | 100KHZ TO 2GHZ | AUTO ANTENNA TUNER | MAX 20W | Built-In Battery |
    Built-In Sound Card With IQ And Audio Output

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  13. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

^ And it seems, like the first run G90s, shipped with a lot of bugs, but not has bad as the GSOC. At least with the Current firmware most everything I need to use is now fixed on the G90

QR20 review of first shipment: http://n3eg.com/n3eg/qr20.htm

14. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At half the cost of a IC705 and KX3, with a built in 10:1 tuner- they will sell like hotcakes...

15. BG5UVQ

BG5UVQ Ham Member QRZ Page

XIEGU是中国的公司

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2021