ad: elecraft

Even more updates on the Xiegu X6100

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Oct 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I defer to my colleague, who's a fluent speaker and has spend many years in-country. Assuming I heard her correctly, of course. :)

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Their McDonalds and KFC serve stuff that's a bit different from here...but they're still there.

3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Coming soon to the Zed fore-uhms and YuTewb: Even more updates on the pronunciation of "Xiegu"

(brought to you by the producers of the video "Yaesu Spelling Variations")

4. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's not even get started on Bo Fengs (my preferred pronunciation).

Mindy

K8XG likes this.
  5. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We had a Chinese ham on here in a recent thread tell us Xiegu is "Shee Gu" as the Xie makes the eh like in "a" apple. So you Friend is correct.
    But Xi is "shee" as it is missing the e. I only used that as an example of how in the USA news you hear him called Zi, but it really is "Shee".

Art

6. K8XG

last time that was brought up it was found to mean this with google searchs:

What is baofeng?
    Literally, "Bear turd".
    A bear casting, usually from the Ailuropoda melanoleuca, better known as the Giant Panda.
    Baofeng was used in ancient civilizations as masonry mortar in the region of China known today as Baofeng County.

Baofeng county is in Pingdingshan.

7. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

https://chinese.yabla.com/chinese-english-pinyin-dictionary.php?define=Baofeng

"Storm wind"

K8XG likes this.
  8. K8XG

Yes, but see the other links as well when you google what does Baofeng mean.

9. KD2TTM

I don't Google, I DuckDuckGo! I think it's highly unlikely a bunch of folks would name their company after bear scat.

Here's what the company themselves have to say about the name; a Pinyin translation. The Pinyin is "storm wind."

https://baofengradio.us/pofung-radio

What is Pofung?

The sister company Pofung was founded by the same entrepreneurs at Fujian Nanan Baofeng Electronic Co, who founded the Baofeng brand. The manufacturer adopted 'Pofung', a new brand name for the international markets. The current name 'BAOFENG', is a literal Pinyin translation of the Chinese character name. It may be difficult for many customers to pronounce. The new name 'Pofung' is easier to pronounce and more friendly to the customers in the international markets, while maintaining the phonetic symbolism of the brand and eventually all international market products in the future will gradually transition to the new brand name 'Pofung'. However, the products in the domestic market of china will retain the current brand name, Baofeng, including the web domain name.

Baofeng/Pofung Radios are one of the fastest growing brands in the industry due to their ability to bridge the gap between powerful capabilities, ease of use and affordability. These radios are dual band and designed to deliver maximum performance in varied environments. With their self-contained and compact designs, Baofeng/Pofung Radios allow you to communicate effectively across wide spectrum.

10. K8XG

Po fung, to fling Po? JK

FYI great outdoors pictures on your QRZ page

KD2TTM likes this.
  11. KD2TTM

It's all Greek to me!

Thanks! I'm blessed to live in a beautiful part of the country. Sometimes I just wish it didn't happen to be in NY state! ;)

K8XG likes this.
  12. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

I know at least two companies for which the name is entirely appropriate; spot-on in fact!

13. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

+1 from me too, great set of Photo’s.

14. KD2TTM

Thank you very much. I'm glad you like them.

I love the outdoors and love to take photos. Having someone say they like a photo is sort of like having them along with you when you took it... it gives me a little feeling of sharing the moment (which is half the reason I take photos!).

2E0TWD likes this.
  15. KK7BMS

KK7BMS Ham Member QRZ Page