ad: Radclub22-1

Even more updates on the Xiegu X6100

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Oct 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Does have issues.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/124810765027?hash=item1d0f4d22e3:g:wzgAAOSwDd1hTtkh
    About halfway down.
    "Some tips on using:
    1. Due to software defects, the volume adjustment is not perfect. It is recommended that the volume should not exceed 13 and 14-16 during normal use. It is prepared for weak signals. When your receiving signal is weak, you can turn up the volume appropriately. If you feel the volume is not high enough, you can use an external active speaker (connected to the HP port) or an external 8 ohm 1W large speaker (connected to the kJ port).
    2. For some weak signals, try to turn off AGC or set AGC to fast and att2 to 0, which will have better reception effect.
    3. Due to the extremely simple hardware structure, the sensitivity will weaken with the increase of frequency, so it is recommended to turn off AGC at high frequency and set att2 to 0. Sensitivity is also reduced at frequencies supported by non amateur radio bands.
    4. The interference of switching power supply is relatively large. It is recommended to use linear power supply instead of switching power supply.
    5. Without power control circuit, the output power will change greatly with whether the antenna resonates or not.
    6. Do not supply power to the PA board alone during the mill and transformation. When the core version is not connected, supplying power to the PA board alone will cause self excitation and damage the PA transmitting tube.
    7. Do not use active antenna to transmit, otherwise your antenna will be damaged.
    8. Since there is no limiting device, if the input signal is too strong, the hardware may be damaged (it can not be determined yet)."

UT7UX, K8XG and K3FHP like this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Number 6 is a real surprise. They use a transmitting tube in there.:)

W1BR, UT7UX and WN1MB like this.
  3. KD7LX

KD7LX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am looking forward to seeing this rig and what it is capable of. I have a G-90 and I have abused the hell out of it. Dropped it on concrete, in the dirt, you name it, and it keeps on ticking. However, I know that if it breaks or if it just quits working that I am SOL. For the $400 I spent I have zero regrets as it has been a fun toy. I don't know that I'd be willing to risk much more than that, though, given the software quirks and the nature of the lack of repair support. Anything approaching Lab599 or Icom pricing and I'd say no dice, especially after seeing the debacle of the GSOC.

N2GOP, 2E0TWD, KD2TTM and 1 other person like this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Not one; THREE!

"PA structure and output power: Three TO-92 packaged bs170 tubes are used, and the transmission power is 3-5w (one bs170 and irf530 pad are reserved for DIY upgrade)."

5. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

At the large cost they want for a CCR, unless the Firmware is actually going to work, it will never be worth the money even with discounts.

Have had both the G90 and GSOC, their track record is G90: slow to get it working to where it was OK for everyone [IE CW at times has issues but SSBs never noticed or cared] and once about 92% fixed, no more updates.

GSOC track record: Train Wreck. This 6100 case looks like the size of the GSOC and the screen features look like they are using the same computer board the GSOC has and added the items needed to make it TX/RX on it's own. Xiegu firmware updates in the past would fix one or 2 issues and break 3 issues that were fixed before, no software control or peer review processing being used there. Lookup the Xiego groups on Groups.IO

I hope my prognostication is actually wrong this time and it comes out working, time till tell and we call can be the judge.

EDIT: none of the Youtubes by the influencers showed the problems in depth of the Xiegu GSOC that is has been being sold as a DIGITAL TERMINAL.
    almost useless for that. A Raspberry Pi 4 enclosed in a 10" screen , plus a 96K sound card for your G90 I/Q output replaced my GSOC for less then half the cost.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    N2GOP and KD7LX like this.
  6. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

According to specs does no cover all of the U.S. bands. Still seems to me as an 'Alpha Test' model.

I'll keep my KX-3 for now ;)

7. K8XG

8. K8XG

After looking at the parts of the uSDX, on the below website, scroll down; and seeing the insides of my GSOC... It is very possible that the 6100 is the GSOC with something like this added to it for TX / RX, it could fit inside. You can get 10 watts out if you add another TO-92 "tube" in a DYI mod it appears.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002979711879.html

I am not saying they are taking these exact part and putting it inside the case, but the open source project this is would allow them to make their own boards that would fit..

Possible but totally conjecture...

9. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Not even a division. Just a Swedish reseller of ham equipment: Pileup Communications. (www.pileupdx.com)

10. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

What? They use switching transistors in the PA? I hope their filtering is good...

11. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't look fully at the specs. That's a tiny little rig.

12. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some of them...but the main problem? It's not a very convenient set up for most of us who use the G90. Most, like me, I suspect, use it for portable/POTA operation, and having another box, cables, power requirements, etc. doesn't really fit the way we operate with the radio. Having a larger screen is nice, but the screen on the radio, small as it is, is surprisingly sharp and readable and is enough for me.

I see they've got he price of the GSOC down to just over 400. 100 lower and I might give it a shot. If they don't discontinue it first.

13. W4NNF

It's communist in name only. Just like the PRC itself...an oligarchy proudly proclaiming itself a communist country while everybody there is scrambling for PROFITS and another BMW. ;)

KO4CES likes this.
  14. W4NNF

All true. Well except for your "Zeye-goo." I asked a Mandarin speaking colleague about it and she said "sheh-gu." ;)

Well, I'll pick a nit on the manual. I thought the current G90 manual was pretty good if not perfect. Not that I've ever seen a really good manual from Icom/Yaesu/Kenwood, either.

15. K8XG

It is just like the CCP leader Xi, folks in the USA [even in the news] call him Zi, yet it is pronounced "Shee"