ad: AbAuRe-1

Geochron 4k Atlas 2 Ham Radio World Clock

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Oct 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello everyone, it's been awhile since I posted a new video, sorry about that, but here's a new one on the new hardware version of the Geochron 4k , the Atlas 2. It allows new premium amateur radio features, making this device more than a nice-looking clock but a useful visual tool in the ham shack! 73 Pascal VA2PV

QST_cover_Geochron_Atlas2_EN_4K.jpg

W7TRD, K3UZ, WD4ELG and 11 others like this.
  2. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the review Pascal...the latest digital Geochron is a wealth of quick visual information. I'd also like to see them develop an azimuthal projection map keyed to one's QTH.

W1CZX, KN4USA, W0KT and 4 others like this.
  3. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

4. HA3FLT

HA3FLT Ham Member QRZ Page

This link: "Six Frequently Asked Questions, like “Why isn’t this an app?“ gets you to a support page that's containing no answers at all...

W9HJ, KO4CES, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  5. W1MBF

W1MBF Ham Member QRZ Page

Google Simon's World Map..Same thing only free!o_O

EA1DR, KB2QQM, VA2SS and 7 others like this.
  6. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

In a time where people consider a $50 app on their smartphone expensive, $449 is really steep for something that could have been sold as a much cheaper app, running on a Raspberry Pi. Now, if only Simon would port his World map to Linux...

KB2QQM, VA2SS, N6HCM and 4 others like this.
  7. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Requires minimal CPU power, will run on any Windows 7 / 8 / 10 system
    Dang it! Is there a Linux version of this?

8. KB7GL

KB7GL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The new hardware does look pretty nice. However, I'll stick with HamClock on my RPi-4...free except for the cost of the RPI and loaded with features and real-time connectivity.

N0YPD and VA2SS like this.
  9. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmmmm....

A Geochron 4k or new motocross boots?

Well, ONE boot at least.

73 Pascal!

10. W9HJ

W9HJ QRZ Lifetime Member #294 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have the HamClock on my desk running off a Raspberry Pi and it's pretty cool (I think all told I spent about $100 to build it, including the Pi, the stand, and the display).

Simon's is a great little free program, I sometimes run it on my 4K computer monitor, but I may see about what appears to be the exact same hardware they are selling for $450 for $197 off Amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099ZH93B8 ... Quad core CPU, 4GB memory, 64GB storage, network and dual band WiFi, and Windows 10 ... for $40 more money, you can get the same thing with double the memory and storage) and run Simon's program.

Granted the GeoChron software is MUCH more polished, but they are flat out gouging you of the hardware. Maybe if they charged $49.99 for the program, or even $99.99 for it and you supply your own hardware (which is really all they are doing, providing you a store bought Mini Stick PC), it would be worth it, but to charge a $253 premium for their software and hardware that anyone can buy PLUS $6.99 a month is a bit much. My 2 cents.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    EA1DR, KB7GL, WG5ENE and 3 others like this.
  11. W9HJ

W9HJ QRZ Lifetime Member #294 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Also, for those looking at a Windows 10 PC, while the above device I listed does work nicely, since it uses Mini-USB for power (as opposed to USB-C) it is power limited so that if you are running programs that take up a lot of both CPU and GPU power, it will actually automatically underclock the unit from 750MHz to 250MHz on the GPU and by almost 1GHz in speed on the CPU. This is a result of both the Mini-USB power delivery system as well as passive cooling. If you are looking for a solution that uses the exact same CPU/GPU, look at the CHUWI LarkBox Pro Mini. It uses USB-C for power and has a fan for cooling. It is a bit more expensive.

M1WML likes this.
  12. W3DJ

W3DJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If "Eye Candy" is what you want then GeoChron could be your answer. Too much functional share ware out that the does mostly the same thing. Grad Tracker can do a lot for "free" I encourage a donation to these free program developers. They are doing cool stuff that solves a lot of problems and add functionality around the shack. I know I do not have the time or desire to play with code to write an app myself. Dont get me wrong GeoChron was on my "lust after list" for many years but it seems the price of admission is still a bit above realistic.

M1WML, VA2SS, N6HCM and 1 other person like this.
  13. KC4LRR

KC4LRR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are a MAC user...MACLoggerDX has in addition to logging - a built-in Clock, DXCluster, Map with option to show/follow DX Spots, your QTH, the SUN and other features but not airplanes or smog. Call info and picture pulled from QRZ XML data...
    MACLoggerMap.JPG
    RJ
    KC4LRR

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    M1WML and W9HJ like this.
  14. KG5PIO

KG5PIO Ham Member QRZ Page

I actually appreciate this device, a bit steep and the monthly subscription for Hams kind of a deal breaker for me maybe can understand why but man everything is a subscription these days. If it was cheaper I would consider it even with the subscription I would have to get a dedicated 4k TV for it because I am that way go all the way or nothing. Add that all up and you got a pricey piece of eye candy, well maybe someday.

15. CT7ABD

CT7ABD Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing move me away for this product is have to pay a subscription for the all info I already have. Okay I understand is there a lot of develop and software and the product looks very cool and professional, but why not one time pay only, your pay a special licence and have lifetime acess to the updates. Something like this. But just my 0cent opinion. 73 CT7ABD

AK5B likes this.