ad: CQMM-1

RSGB changes Foundation license exam assessment

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Oct 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. EA7KNW

EA7KNW Ham Member QRZ Page

Having worked with the Authorities here in Spain, they pretty much want you to stick to your licence restrictions,
    but don't care much Unless you piss somebody off, in which case they come down like a ton of bricks because you caused them some useless work.
    i.e. dealing with the complaint, investigating, paperwork etc.

It's the same with All things in life:-
    live and let live, don't annoy other people, avoid pointless childish excesses.

Morse-proficient operators were/are not all Super Nice People either.

2E0NYH, G8ADD, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  2. M7CGA

M7CGA Ham Member QRZ Page

well i hope he does not mean every foundation licence holder. I for one get a sence of satisfaction when I can make contact with another Ham in a different continent using just 5w or 10w and yes that is digital modes FT8/FT4.

I am yet to have a conversation in voice mode using my alloted power levels for Foundation, and when I do that will be an achievent for me aswell...

2E0NYH, G8ADD, MM0XXW and 3 others like this.
  3. M0KCV

M0KCV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I only had my M7 for 7 weeks and never went over what i thought was 10w, it wasnt until i had me intermediate and put a power meter at the feed point for my G5RV THAT I FOUND OUT I WAS ONLY PUTTING 7.5W UP THE ANTENNA.(Poxy caps lock).Even with that 7.5 watts i had stateside stations casting aspersions as to my power output. I was lucky having come from 11m and having a bit more than the basics as regards setting up a station , but as ive seen at my local club there is no substitute for having someone show you how to do it and be able to ask questions.

G5TM, 2E0NYH, G8ADD and 4 others like this.
  4. WU9F

WU9F Ham Member QRZ Page

With our current system, a candidate for a license has to get their technicians license before they can do anything with radio. The only way to give a test for ability is to offer a limited term license to allow the candidate to operate on a limited area that will give them the experience needed to set up a station. Now, from my experience, few even know what a radio looks like until after they pass the technicians license. Very few new testers have a clue what things are and it has no relevance to anything they have. Once they have some experience with a real radio, things begin to make sense.

K0UO, MM0XXW, M1WML and 2 others like this.
  5. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm...Term limits on entry class licenses. Sounds familiar and I agree! BTW, as far as having a "practical" test - forget it. That would never happen in the US! The whiners (and the ARRL) would fight that one tooth and nail as being too restrictive and probably violating some civil rights...as if the license is, or should be, a right to have.
    No, I'm afraid we're stuck with memorize some questions, take the test and you're qualified. No demonstration of competence or understanding required. (MY FOUR cents, TU)

M1WML likes this.
  6. MM0IMC

MM0IMC Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard a licensed ham (MM6 Foundation Licence holder) a few days ago, on 27.555MHz USB moaning about this very thread! He must have had a brain cell bypass, as well as his IQ fogged over with cannabis smoke.:rolleyes:

M7CGA and MM0XXW like this.
  7. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

11m operating standards are generally better than the ones we encounter on 20m, but there is no excuse for abusing 27.555. Some people are just morons.

G5TM, M7CGA and MM0JNL like this.
  8. MM0XXW

MM0XXW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Gotta be an alfa tango cos they all be dodgy geezers ... pmsl

If that's the worst thing anyone's got to worry about then they've got a pretty easy life is all I can say!

G5TM, M7CGA and MM0JNL like this.
  9. MM0JNL

MM0JNL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I do hope they were not using their callsign on 27.555!! That is a full on licence burner, clearly dead from the neck up and suffering from excessive RF exposure from licking their antenna :-Q

MM0IMC and 2E0NYH like this.
  10. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

I take it that this is a confession?

M7CGA and MM0JNL like this.
  11. GW6CZE

GW6CZE Ham Member QRZ Page

lost me on that one,or are you misreading my callsign ?

12. M0PAM

M0PAM Ham Member QRZ Page

It is very rich for the Yanky's to criticise the UK licence autority, but what about the people in USA running stations above 1.5KW, no one can on contest day's can compete with, please keep you comments to USA

AA5BK, MM0JNL and 2E0NYH like this.
  13. 2E0NYH

2E0NYH Ham Member QRZ Page

there are no objective justifications for 'Incentive licencing' in that way

the equipment restrictions currently place an incentive for the GHz bands, althoguh oddly foundation has a 10GHz allocation but isn;t allowed on 23cm despite there COTS equipment for 23 cm

2E0HUY likes this.
  14. M7BLC

M7BLC Ham Member QRZ Page

I beg to differ. I passed my foundation licence at the beginning of the year and found both the course and the instruction (online via Essex Ham) excellent and a great preparation for going online, without the practical element included due to lockdown. I have never used more than the 10 watts the licence allows and have made many great contacts as I develop and refine my very basic shack and antennas. It is the fun of chasing QRP contacts that interests me and I am amused at the ridiculous use of power by many so called 'qualified' hams. My personal opinion is that the RSGB should raise the maximum power for Foundation to 25 watts but until they do (if ever) I will stick to 10. What others do is up to them.

2E0NYH likes this.
  15. 2E0NYH

2E0NYH Ham Member QRZ Page

wouldn't be RSGB it'd be Ofcom but arguably 25 watts for foundation and 100 for inter would make little regulatory impact

MM0JNL likes this.