ad: ProAudio-1

Flying with Ham Radio Gear.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KK6USY, Oct 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W7DAO

W7DAO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have flown with my gear before. What I do is pack the passive items, balun, antenna, tripod, etc. in a separate piece of luggage to go in the cargo hold (knowing it will be opened and searched - tsa approved lock) and I take the transceiver and tuner in a pelican case as a carry on with full intent to open it for inspection. I have never had to pull out my license, the agents I have come across seem okay with I state this is ham radio equipment.

M1WML and N9LCD like this.
  2. NZ6N

NZ6N XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I work in the airline industry and travel internationally very frequently. I'm limited to specific bags I carry with me, though I am able to fit quite a bit in a LifeWit lunch bag and have never really had issues. There are several locations in Europe and the Middle East where the security screening is a bit more intense, but the worst I've had to do is take the electronics out of the bag and run it through the x-ray machine separately. I currently take a small MFJ 4125 power supply, an IC-706Mk2G, a small auto-tuner, a mini buddipole, the 10' buddipole mast, and CW paddles. I would use a wire dipole, but Kuwait specifically won't allow more than 2m of wire through security. The only issue I've had so far is the spring-loaded retaining clip breaking off of the faceplate of the 706, but that was purely my fault and I now pack that separately.

M1WML, KG4BFR and KD5BVX like this.
  3. W1RDT

W1RDT Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember reading that there is a size (amperage) limit on batteries taken on commercial flights, for explosion and fire potential reasons. Does anyone have accurate information on that?

M1WML likes this.
  4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

5. NJ1S

NJ1S Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sorry but 2 thumbs down video. Why because it's a show and tell with no on air usage!

K0IP and M1WML like this.
  6. AJ2I

AJ2I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

M1WML likes this.
  7. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I fly--or should I say, flew before April 2020--quite often for various purposes. Between amateur radio stuff, photography stuff, and audio recording stuff, I have carried all manner of equipment that would look very strange to the average person.

With the carry-on allowance of a rolling bag and a backpack, I never, never, ever check a bag.

I also have signed up for Global Entry with DHS. This typically means that I don't wait in line, or wait in a very short line, for security. I have also never had to remove my shoes, or pull anything out of my carry-on bags in security. Passport control on entering the US is comparably easy. I would say that if you fly four or more times a year, it is completely worth it.

If you go to the airport expecting it to be long and difficult, you will not be disappointed or angry when it is. If it isn't, then you are always pleasantly surprised. :)

KC1OCA, N9LCD, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Really useful and helpful info here.

EVOLV solves many of these issues BTW.

M1WML likes this.
  9. W1SRR

W1SRR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I find that properly labeling EVERYTHING and a brief note stating you are a amateur radio operator in the baggage might help grease the skids when going through the airport.

KC1OCA, M1WML, WA8FOZ and 1 other person like this.
  10. KG4BFR

KG4BFR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Will be flying into the EU this coming winter with some gear ....2 small HF rigs , 1 VHF rig , 1 ALS500M amplifier and 2 Magnetic Mount Mobile Antennas and I have a Hard Case Plastic / Aluminum Tool Box style suitcase I will pack everything in and Check the Box for the Cargo Bay along with my Samsonite Suitcase........The only thing im worried about are the Magnets on the Mobile Antennas.....some Airlines have language about Nothing Magnetic....On a positive side I have worked International Airports and we have seen all sorts of Checked Bags: Surfers,Fisherman,Hunters,Musicians,Film Crews,Athletic Teams Ect...

M1WML likes this.
  11. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed, Communist countries are indeed different(why I don't go there).

M1WML, IU2GFF and KE0GXN like this.
  12. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to fly frequently when I worked in Arizona. I took my 2m HT along (openly carried), a Motorola model that TSA (at that time) often used. I never had a question about it, they knew exactly what it was and it didn't pose any threat to them. Now my electronic gear for work, I usually shipped it FedEx to avoid issues.

KC1OCA and M1WML like this.
  13. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Not exactly, once you cross TSA lines, you surrendered your rights.

KC8UD and M1WML like this.
  14. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

I thought I was in a foreign country 4-years ago flying out of SEATAC in Seattle WS to DFW. Latter found out TSA does not run SEATAC, Port Authority does. Anyway as I am standing gin line to go through the security checkpoint I thought I saw something weird but was not sure because I was too far away at the time. As I get up to the scanner, the young man in front of me pulled out a bag of marijuana and placed it right on top of everything in the basket to go through the scanner directly in front of an officer. I stood there stunned with a puzzled look on my face looking at the officer and he said; "not what we are looking for".

M1WML likes this.
  15. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not think I can fly with a Viking I'M and a Thunderbolt amp! I think it would throw up some red flages.

KC1OCA and M1WML like this.