ad: elecraft

Spark Plug Antenna: setup and first try

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K9KMV, Oct 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K9KMV

K9KMV Ham Member QRZ Page

Here I am trying out the Spark Plug Antenna.

Trying out my new Spark Plug Antenna. It's another EFHW.

VE7JBT, 2E0CIT, KA0USE and 6 others like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

A better experiment might be to try a comparison of using just the wire as the antenna versus having the Balun (or is it just a base loading coil?) attached. I can’t imagine the Balun is making all that much difference… Seems to me it’s more of just a way to attach your antenna wire to the radio. An A/B video of with and without Balun might be more revealing

Just a thought - nice video

Dave
    W7UUU

W7SJP, KC3LBR, KO4CES and 1 other person like this.
  3. K2OKK

K2OKK Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a neat form factor for a bnc mounted 1:49/1:64 autotransformer used with an EFHW. For POTS/SOTA use, this is really nice as it's compact and tidy. It's great to see the experimentation and the market for this part of the hobby is alive and well.

Chaz

K8PGJ, KA0USE, KN4CFT and 3 others like this.
  4. K9KMV

The end fed half wave has a very high impedance at the feedpoint, so the 49:1 un-un on this 'spark plug' transforms the impedance of the wire from about 2500 ohms to about 50 ohms that the radio is looking for.

Thanks for watching.

WD8JTR, K0YO, KA0USE and 2 others like this.
  5. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's not an antenna, that's a balun. Not that wire is hard to come by, but if they're going to call it an antenna they should at least supply the wire with it. It is a pretty neat design, though, and I wouldn't mind trying it out.

N6SPP and KO4CES like this.
  6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is one of a similar form factor, courtesy of N5JLD:

[​IMG]

K0PIR, N7KO, KN4SMR and 3 others like this.
  7. K9KMV

It is also available as a full kit with wire and winder. They weren't available when I bought mine.

AJ6KZ, KA0USE, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  8. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the idea of using a kite string holder to wind an antenna on.

KA0USE, K2OKK and K9KMV like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

K9KMV said it correctly. It is a transformer that takes the high impedance of the voltage max and takes it to about 50 ohms. You still may need to further choke the coax .

This particular transformer won't do well with high power, but that is so noted.

End feeding dipoles, for example, is a fairly modern approach brought on by lower loss materials and the availability of ferrite for chokes. The downside is the high voltages can make things burn up with overheating or even wet conditions. BUT this is rare...

10. HB9EPC

HB9EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

bien vu , bien dis... je vais essayer les bougies de ma tondeuse...et regarder si YL va aimer... Hi

K7KBN and KC7JNJ like this.
  11. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You mike try some 26g Poly Stealth wire as it has a 25lbs weight rating. What did you feed it with like RG 174u?

K9KMV likes this.
  12. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

si c’est le cas, c’est une bougie d’allumage vraiment coûteuse HI HI

KA0USE likes this.
  13. KD2SXO

KD2SXO Ham Member QRZ Page

I received one as a gift from a buddy of mine a while back. I believe somebody on QRZ was selling them at some point. With my G90, I have had amazing results with that antenna system once I got the wire trimmed and tuned up. I’ve worked all over the US and Europe with mine.

K9KMV and K2OKK like this.
  14. W4FJT

W4FJT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use one that came in kit form from KM4ACK, similar to this except the toroid and capacitor is mounted on a 3D printed kite winder. Easy 30 minute build, winding the toroid takes some care but the rest is easy. I got similar results to you, the kit included about 68 feet of the 26 gauge polystealth wire and I ended up trimming about a foot and a half to bring it into resonance on 40. 20, 15 and 10 looked good too. I had it running from a 25 foot fiberglass pole sloping down to about 10 feet to our back deck. I made contacts right away with my 705 at 10 watts SSB. Haven't been to the park yet, but that's next.

NE4ME, KA0USE, GD5MUP and 2 others like this.
  15. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The EFHW antenna can be quite effective - I use one here at home with very good results. In the interest of correctness, the matching transformer is actually a UNUN - UNbalanced-to-UNbalanced rather than BALanced-to-UNbalanced.

But who cares? So long as it works well! :)

N6SPP, GD5MUP, K2OKK and 1 other person like this.