ad: CQMM-1

HR2.0 - Yaesu FTM-6000r Mobile Ham Radio Discussion with John Kruk, N9UPC, from Yaesu

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Oct 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wideband receiver = worse in-band receiver.

I am quite happy that the IC-9700 is not wide-banded.

I have no problem with the mic that comes with the TM-V71A, but knobs and buttons on the control head are definitely flimsy cheap plastic not very becoming for a radio of its price.

M1WML, VE3TSV and KD5BVX like this.
  2. KF0DHQ

KF0DHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well not all frequencies. just add airband, upper VHF (150-174 MHz), and upper UHF (450-512 MHz) that won't hurt to much will it?

M1WML likes this.
  3. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It all depends. With a direct sampling receiver, if you were unlucky enough to be only a couple of miles from a weather transmitter then that wider receiver would have a significant negative effect on the amateur portion of the 2m band.

A double- or triple-superhet receiver could probably handle that same scenario fairly well, but the radio would then be nothing like the IC-9700.

M1WML likes this.
  4. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Except for the cowboy boots, I agree with this statement. I never understood why companies leave off the mic connector on a remote face of a radio.

M1WML and KC7JNJ like this.
  5. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It would be nice if they could do both - put a mic jack on the body of the radio and also on the head of the radio, with an automatic switch: if the mic is connected to the body of the radio, the jack on the remote head is bypassed/disabled; if not connected to the body then the jack on the remote head is active. But, I'm sure they'd want to add another $50 or so to the price then...

If someone mounts the remote head up in their roof sunglasses holder or something like that, I can see why they wouldn't want the mic cable hanging down.

K7JD and M1WML like this.
  6. KF0DHQ

KF0DHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

being nothing like the IC-9700 is the point! It's Better! Well at least that's my opinion. Anyway Yaesu would probably throw a 2,500 dollar price tag cause for some reason they think there better then Icom. HI HI.

M1WML likes this.
  7. WD9ICU

WD9ICU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Im getting that "Get your feet off your desk and invent something!" kinda vibe from Yaesu.

M1WML likes this.
  8. N1MJS

N1MJS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

hi john it would be nice if this new radio had both analog/c4fm capability and not sure if yeasu would 1 day come out with a newer version of ft 818nd with c4fm

9. N1MJS

N1MJS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

oh and able to use a sc-20 cable to connect to wires x on both ftm-600 and new ft 818

10. YL3IM

YL3IM Ham Member QRZ Page

It features no FM broadcast either :(

11. KD5BVX

He discusses the reason that it is analog-only: for those who want an analog only radio without the added cost of C4FM. The advantage of a better display like on their other C4FM radios is reason enough to not want it on a basic display like this (like some of their others have had).

12. K4IDT

K4IDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't currently use C4FM but the price of this radio is too much without it. I paid less than the price of this radio for my FTM-100DR and it has C4FM. The price of this radio should be around $200.00 or so. I am a Yaesu fan but what were they thinking? 73

13. KD5BVX

I see what you're saying but the 7900 which this 6000 resembles was like $280 when it was discontinued so...add on inflation and stuff, I guess here we are.

14. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice and easy to use device, after configured it well. I miss a bit some analog digital features like SSTV. For example this kind of standard digimode in the analog world is and stays always present. Nowadays there is no need for a computer to send it out. This could be an idea for the next generation of Yaesu devices. Which for example the transceiver VGC VR-N7500 provides today.

15. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well... the Moto APX-series of mobiles, you need to run a cable to the brick, as well as a yellow/red power cable to the head. If you use the O3 head directly on the brick, you will still need to rig a head for programming.

I recently got an Icom IC-2730A, and it has an RJ45 connector on the head and one on the body. I had my local commercial radio shop install it in my 2021 Ford Edge. Brick under the seat, speaker on the dash, NMO rear quarter, and head though the console to a cup holder; this is where I can use a microphone, but opted to use a CAT5 extension cord 2 feet long. I can hide the mic, and I have the magnet mount kit so I can remove the head too.

KD5BVX likes this.