ad: M2Ant-1

'J5T' now active...

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by W5BIB, Oct 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From; Guinea Bissau, Bubaque Island - (AF 020)

Due to new flight schedules, the new dates of the DXpedition

are from 9 to 22 October 2021

The Italian Dxpedition Team announces its next Dxpedition to Guinea Bissau, Bubaque Island AF020.

The Team will be active from 7 to 18 October 2021, with calls J5T (CW-SSB-RTTY) and J5HKT(FT8).

It will consist of 7 operators, 4 stations active on 6 to 160m bands on the above modes.

Real-time online logs on: http://win.i2ysb.com/logonline/

OQRSR

Web page http://www.i2ysb.com/idt/

DIRECT: via I2YSB only

2. N2ATP

N2ATP Ham Member QRZ Page

it got so bad with the animals piling up they went split listening 5 up as many posted on the dx summit -- i didnt even bother as it was complete radio chaos and most likely will be the whole time period with the same people checking into them daily like once aint enough for the log

W5BIB likes this.
  3. DM2TT

DM2TT Ham Member QRZ Page

What about CW?Usually in code its damn easy to catch the dx.
    In Sideband i wouldnt even try,total chaos.But it shure was that way 30 years ago,not much of a difference.
    For ssb dx one mostly needs a good tower a fine beam and legal limit to get through the pileups.
    And even then you must be willing to spend hours shouting in there,lol
    Sorry,that aint me sir...lol

W5BIB likes this.
  4. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Headline reads "JT5" active instead of "J5T" which made me want to create new curse words and question why *another* one of those modes. Read the post and pleasantly surprised it was a typo and the news ended up being good. Well played, Monday. Well played.

WZ7U, AG6QR, UT7UX and 1 other person like this.
  5. N2ATP

N2ATP Ham Member QRZ Page

needless to say at 0822 hrs this morning 10/11/21 it is already a mess good luck folks

6. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, they got my call right on SSB, but apparently they hosed it on CW, based on their online log data.

7. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep been there done that the screaming for half an hour trying to break the east coast big gun pileups from the Pac Northwest black hole is frustrating and not fun.

But If you are patient then SSB works fine for the J5T and all the other recent African Dx peditions as they all seem to have low noise receive environments and I finally worked them on 17 ssb yesterday with just the loaded up driven element of my 15 meter moxon at just 25 feet and a couple of effective watts being radiated out.

After half an hour of screaming early on in the 17 meter SSB pileup I changed my plan and just waited for the pileup to thin out which was just before they went lower in frequency which was also after all the big guns had worked them.

With just a blue collar/hillbilly non resonant antenna being loaded up and what was probably just a few watts of effective RF radiated from the black hole of the pacific northwest it only took 3 repeats of my call before they got it.

Yes it would be nice to have stacked yagis at 100 feet but being entirely un-prepaired for all 3 of these recent African Dx peditions I only had my hillbilly cobbled together 15 meter beam to load up on 17 and 12 meters.

Mysteriously, I never heard them on 15 meter CW or SSB which is the band where my antenna is resonant with some directivity.

KO6M and DM2TT like this.
  8. DM2TT

Hey,congrats on the new one!
    I live in a valley in the woods and can confirm exactly what you say:.
    Many dx folks have the same zero noise level as me.So when they are very weak here i can call them anyway and that with 100w.
    That goes for dx like vietnam,guam,new caledonia and many africans.But same day,later one,there are a dozend stateside folks with much better equipment.
    But if i call them i catch only like one in a dozend.
    Talk about man made noise,wow!!

I run a homebrew triband dipole,i made out of flea market traps i get dirt cheap.At 50ft in the clear it works real good.
    But a 15m moxon,that would be it these days.Always something going on here on 15m these days.
    Say,how long are your spreaders there?I can get fine bamboo here,but only up to 8ft or so.
    Olli

9. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for catching that typo error Jon. - I had them change it to; "J5T" :) - It must be Olde Age ! - I've been getting a lot of things 'Bass Ackwards' here as-of-late ! ;)

Thank you 'Shipmate'
    Steve - ex CTR1(AC) 1964-72

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    KK9W likes this.
  10. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

17 meters has also been a real DX goldmine of late.....

DM2TT and W7UUU like this.
  11. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Seems ALL the upper bands have been hot the last week! Not 6 but from 10 on down.... and 30 meters has been rolling on into the late night - almost being active 24 hours a day! Haven't seen that in a very long time.

I love a speckled Sun :)

Dave
    W7UUU

DM2TT and W5BIB like this.
  12. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

I see my computer worked yours last night. Didn't realize it until I hit the log key a minute later...

W7UUU likes this.
  13. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Olli,

My moxon is all aluminum tube on an 8 foot boom, the elements are tapered aluminum tubing going from .75 inch then .675, .5 inch then the folded tails are .375 inch.
    I have a passive element near the 15 driver to add 12 meters and 12 meters was very good sunday, 12 was sounding like 20 meter ssb.

The elements mount to aluminum element to boom plates and these elements are insulated using Stauff blocks from the element to boom plates.

I used 4NEC2 to optimize directivity along with vswr and F/B across 15 meters along with the 12 meter passive coupled driver.

DM2TT likes this.
  14. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

My computer told me it had a really pleasant and cordial visit with your computer and hopes to chat again ;):D

Dave
    W7UUU

K5MUG likes this.
  15. DM2TT

Ah,thanks for the detailled infos!
    Since i run very old gear i have no warc bands.My idea is a 15m moxon with 10m coupled element.
    I think i can fab that so that it survives the north sea storms here on the coast.
    Good idea about the hydraulic blocks.I once built a 6m yagi that way,it takes away all the boom correction and hassle.
    Olli