ad: wmr-1

Sunspot Cycle 25 Will Be a BIG One -- Latest Research for Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Sep 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. With 1 watt qrp-power we can work later in october all continents and as an SWL i like to hear WSPR stations! Todays Sunspots are raised even above 70! So for me specially 10 meterband must be open all wintermonths from october 2021 - end of march 2022.That was already 6 to 7 years back! Just i look forward to the 10 meterband!

M1WML likes this.
  2. M0YRX

M0YRX Ham Member QRZ Page

FireShot Capture 2200 -  -  (2).png
    10 metres is open alot more than people think , they just don't under stand propagation . Yesterday's official SN was 56 from Silso ( these are the numbers that are used to calculate the monthly mean and smoothed Sunspot numbers not the numbers given out by NOOA and even the 56 may change as more data comes in ). Today see s the monthly mean reach 40 even if all the rest of September is spotless which is unlikely, one month behind SC17 but five months ahead of SC24 based on the 13month boxcar SSN for the start of each cycle. Both SC17&24 then went on to have a monthly mean in the high seventies for the following month , time will tell if this October follows suite ( or pancakes )

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    N1VAU, RZ1O, M0TTQ and 1 other person like this.
  3. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sunspots: 67
    Solar Flux: 86
    K index: 1
    X-ray Solar Flares:
    6-hr max: B4 11:46 UTC Sep27
    24-hr: B4 11:46 UTC Sep27

UPDATED GEOMAGNETIC STORM FORECAST: NOAA forecasters say there is a 45% chance of G1 to G2-class geomagnetic storms today, Sept. 27th, in response to a passing CME. If a storm materializes, bright auroras can be expected around the Arctic Circle with a chance for sightings in northern-tier U.S. states.

AURORAS BEFORE THE STORM: The storm hasn't started yet, but auroras are already dancing over Iceland. Last night, a minor geomagnetic disturbance rippled over that island nation where Christopher Mathews was waiting with his camera:

[​IMG]

M1WML likes this.
  4. NK0V

NK0V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember that "skip" in the 80's on the farm growing up in western MN. We used CB's for talking to the neighbors and from the field back to the farm house. Dad would get so mad that we could hear all those stations from "down south" but struggled mightily locally. Had I known and understood then a little of what I know now as well. Good times........

RZ1O, M1WML and KC7JNJ like this.
  5. VA3AQB

VA3AQB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes a lot of hams will not be around on the next but I think I’m good for 2 more and maybe a 3rd if I have my wits about me.

M1WML likes this.
  6. N4EGA

N4EGA Ham Member QRZ Page

I say you are not a real ham unless you are working contacts at the low end of the cycle running QRP.:p

N4FZ, K1CWB and N1VAU like this.
  7. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WD4ELG and N4FZ like this.
  8. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dipole is too much of an advantage, it must be a bed spring but ten times the points from a light bulb ;)

WD4ELG likes this.
  9. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

meanwhile:

GEOMAGNETIC STORM WARNING: NOAA forecasters say there is a 35% chance of geoagnetic storms today, Oct. 11th, when a halo CME is expected to hit Earth's magnetic field. Storm levels could reach category G2, i.e., moderately strong. If such a storm occurs during nightime hours, auroras could be visible in northern-tier US states from New England to Washington. Aurora alerts: SMS Text.

N4FZ likes this.
  10. W3DLB

W3DLB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

WD4ELG and N4FZ like this.
  11. LU7HC

LU7HC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's right, but we need to have our lives extended for another 40 years...

12. K0DXV

K0DXV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like NOAA is already wrong.

13. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

What makes them "wrong"? They gave odds of 35% (one in three) that it would hit the Earth. It missed.

Sounds like the odds of MISSING Earth were 2:1 in which case they were spot on - it missed.

Dave
    W7UUU

14. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Attached Files: