ad: ProAudio-1

Yaesu to release a new 50W Dual-Band mobile radio, the FTM-6000R!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Sep 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll let you know when mine arrives -- I pulled the trigger today. RT Systems says they'll start on the software and cable as soon as the radio is available for purchase.

2. KL2WX

KL2WX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Does it have cross band repeat?

3. N4NXD

N4NXD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No. It's a one-band-at-a time rig

4. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

5. N4EGA

N4EGA Ham Member QRZ Page

I like it! My wife asked me the other day about what I like most about ham radio. My answer was that its a fun technical hobby. However, when all I am simply trying to do is talk to one of the other hams in my off road camping group, I like the simplicity of a standard analog radio.

The plus side is that it has a detachable face. Newer vehicles just don't have good places to install an all in one. This is why I am currently using a V86 attached to an mobile antenna. And I don't really care for some of the current offerings of the dual banders with remote faces.

Side question. I've not seen a source yet, but does anyone have a link to the instruction manual yet?

6. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu doesn't have one on their web site yet.
    The one submitted to the FCC as part of the certification documentation is being withheld until 03/26/2022.

7. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure no one has evaluated this new radio yet but basing on experience with FT-7900 and aesthetic similarities with it I could suppose the successor will inherit illogical menus with hard to understand (due segment display) values to set. Still the predecessor performed pretty well on the air.

Yep, it's been at least three decades since cars became especially unfriendly to our radios.

8. N4EGA

Yeah, the Yaesu Segmented menus can be a pain in the butt. Fortunatlly, the are more or less, set once and forget. Well, at least the "forget" part is easy, haha. I have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler. Installing a radio without a detachable faceplate is very difficult. It can be done, but it's going to be ugly.

UT7UX likes this.
  9. N4EGA

Well, crud.

10. N8XLQ/SK2024

N8XLQ/SK2024 Ham Member QRZ Page

Since the 80 watt mobile 2980R came out theres no need for this radio to exist. At all… wasted time and money Yaesu. Why don’t you work on and release some radios we need? What are you Replacing the FT-450D, FT-1200, Ft-3000, and the FT 5000 with? FTM600R? That’s laughable, sad, and embarrassing. N8XLQ.

11. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They are never full power , the BaoFengs they are like a 1 watt if that measured not claimed. Anytone is better but still only almost 10 watts max on their high power mobile. Not seeing any 220 on their HT that I can find in 5 mins. I think the reason is they are doing a trick to get the TX freq generated and then just running it thru the 2 meter designed PA path hat of course would have much reduced output. Japan is not going to play a game like that.

I own that Anytone III mobile, but put it in mode 0 so 220 is not in the programming anymore. I found no reason here to use it

I leave it to better engineers to check out how they are doing it, this is my "guess"

12. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are certain things about a 2m/70m mobile which is similar to things available ten or fifteen years ago which are negatives; but there is at least one item in that regard which is a positive.

If you want to purchase a new 2m/70cm radio with a data port, this is the least expensive option available.

Alinco has mono-band radios with data ports, but they are mono-band.

Yaesu has the FTM-300 and FTM-400, which are both significantly more expensive than the FTM-6000.

Icom's cheapest 2m/70cm radio with a data port is the IC-7100.

Kenwood's two dual band radios with a data port are both significantly more expensive.

I don't write any of this to indicate that the FTM-6000 is completely worth it for everyone; but if your primary concern is a dual-bander with a data port (as has been true for me before), then it is the best option for the money.

13. KD5PUR

KD5PUR Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't remember what I paid for it, My FT1500M lasted longer than my last 4 cars and is still working well. It also outlasted the IC 706MKIIG I bought in 1996.
    Yaesu is good quality and a fair price. If it ever fails I will buy from Yaesu again.

W1MLC and N6NLX like this.
  14. N2QGV

N2QGV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Shouldn’t the link from main page have this tagged as a Gigaparts Ad?

W5CJA likes this.
  15. AB0R

AB0R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Both my Chinese HT's are full power on all three bands. The TYT-350 which is a great value at $69, and UV5R A3. (Not a fan but works FB)

I also own the Anytone 578UVIII+ and it's a great rig. Even though the 220 is only about 8 watts max, it works great for me as I can hit my favorite repeater full quieting on the 1 watt setting. ( Its 223.94 in the twin cities, give me a shout. ) It's also useful for use with a hot spot, or a repeater since the radio cross-bands and cross-modes.

As for your theory on how it works, I suspect you are correct and that was my thought as well. I haven't opened to the rig up to see for sure. I can tell you that I have looked at the output on all three bands on my spectrum analyzer and it is very clean with no noticeable harmonics etc. There is a little higher noise floor on 220, further supporting the hypothesis.

Back on topic, I want my rigs to have 220, and this one (Yaesu) don't.

KF0DHQ likes this.