ad: AbAuRe-1

SHARI Pi HAT - ALLSTAR SA818 Radio Module For Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0DQW, Sep 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. M0DQW

M0DQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here we take a look at the SHARI PiHatU from Ham Projects. This Pi Hat contains an SA818 Radio module to allow RF to the ALLSTAR network through a raspberry pi.

https://hamprojects.info/shari-pihat

N0NB and AA5BK like this.
  2. N5AQM

N5AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Video Matthew! I noticed you were tuned into the morning brew net on the east coast reflector, node #27339. I check into that net almost daily. Good bunch of guys...
    Lots a great nets on Allstar which run throughout the day and several good technical nets to boot. Audio quality is alot better than DMR also.

I have just the plain Shari(not the hat) and running it on a Pi3A+ which works great. Alot less power than the Pi4 and there is no difference in performance running Hamvoip than on a Pi4. Pi3A+ Board costs $25 and another $7 for the case. The Shari kit build and setup took just a few hours with the excellent documentation. The Shari and the pi run around $100 to have a full blown, portable Allstar node that you can tether it to any WIFI just like you would with a DMR hotspot. The nice thing is you can use any FM rig to communicate with and control it.

-Mike

3. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

its too bad these have such low power output...................

4. KJ4CPA

KJ4CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

so how much all in all the complete the one i mean the good one pls.advise

5. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this any different from an MMDVM hotspot that is capable of operating on D-Star, C4FM-Fusion, DMR, P25, NXDN, etc>?
    Or is AllStar a different network from D-star ?

6. K6JWN

K6JWN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You need very little power. Surprisingly little. I can take my HT all the way around the (large suburban) block and hit my old Pi-Zero Pi-Star hotspot easily. Half a mile at least.

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A good bet are the Zumspots sold by HRO. The basic models are a thing of the past, however. My original Zumspot is still going strong after three years. The newer ones with the screens look nice...but a screen really isn't needed.

9. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AllStar is an analogue system, not digital. It's a derivative of technologies like Echolink and IRLP which connect analogue repeaters via VOIP over the internet...

Martin (G8FXC)

AA5BK likes this.
  10. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

thank you !

11. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There seems to be a version on their website that plugs into a radio for high power levels.

12. N3HGB

Is it worth getting on?
    Any ideas of the activity level and sound quality? Is there an internet way to listen in?

13. G8FXC

I really don't know at the moment. I am an Echolink user and run my own Echolink hotspot from home. When I became aware of AllStar, I applied for a node ID in anticipation of implementing it, but then learned that it is only implemented on Linux while my shack PC runs Windows. I know that AllStar will fire up on a Raspberry Pi and I have several of them available, but it would require some rewiring of the shack and I have not made time to do that yet.

I believe that you can join the AllStar network with just a PC - no need for a radio at all - but that is not the way I like to operate.

Martin (G8FXC)

14. N3HGB

I just wanted to see if I thought it was worth setting up a node before I bought the equipment. I too do not want to be a PC op ;)

15. G8FXC

Well, you can see the network activity here : http://stats.allstarlink.org/ - there are more than 5000 nodes active world-wide. Many have only one or two connected users, but others are showing more than a hundred connections.

I shall try it out - primarily because the repeater close to where we keep our boat has recently linked to it and this would give me a route to talk to friends who are out of range from our house. As I said above, the thing that has held me back is it being only available on Linux. Do bear in mind that, like Echolink, it will be DTMF controlled so don't bother unless you have a radio with decent DTMF functionality.

Martin (G8FXC)