ad: elecraft

What's Killing Ham Radio?

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K0BJJ, Sep 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K0BJJ

K0BJJ Ham Member QRZ Page

you didnt watch more than 2 minuets of the video did you? I'm on HF pulse if you scroll through the threads i post POTA videos regularly.

2. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I could not stand watching any more of it .You starting out with an HT from the basement made me quit watching it . Good luck . Did you do the things I suggested ?

3. K0BJJ

I addressed things you brought up later in the video with more problems with those things. Maybe watch before you speak? Listen before you speak? Just a thought.

4. W4HMB

W4HMB Ham Member QRZ Page

So, when you find a segment of AR that you don't like then stay away from it. That's I what I did / do. I watched the video until at 5:51. LOL Sorry. I'll go watch the rest now.

5. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you are being a weeny . Just a thought . Your future in ham radio videos is not good in my opinion . If you could make a video that somebody could stand watching for more than 2 minutes it might help . Good day , sir . I said good day , troll !

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  6. W5GFO

W5GFO Ham Member QRZ Page

You didn't 'call out' anybody except yourself, dude. You have yourself a nice day, too.

K8EEI likes this.
  7. KC5NYO

KC5NYO Ham Member QRZ Page

E9B11D75-A3DB-49B1-98A5-B57393AE06E9.jpeg

K1CWB and N3RYB like this.
  8. K0BJJ

Your good. This video is supposed to be thought provoking. Your exactly right if you find a facet that you don't like stay clear. This hobby is huge and there are a thousand and one different ways you can go, but there are going to be as I called them "gnomes" almost everywhere. I'm fortunate I wound up in the POTA crowd and talk a lot with other Amateur YouTubers rely good people always willing to listen and lend a hand if needed.

9. W4HMB

W4HMB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok I watched it all.... I get what you're saying. The "85 year olds" are what they are along with many others. They like the old ways and can't, or don't want to, change. I think you'll just have to be patient and wait for the new generation to develop. You could go to high schools and colleges and give seminars on AR and try to recruit that team you want. I know there exists OPs who wouldn't listen to a "rookie' if their lives depended on you. But, there are many old hams out there who are the inventors of, probably, everything you love about AR but don't reside near you.

I attended two meetings of an AR club near me after having recently bought a home here. I told them about my desire to erect my two towers and my 8 element 10 meter and 4 element 20 but need a lot of help due to being disabled. One guy suggested that I buy a slingshot and put a wire into some trees. That was it and I never went back. LOL, maybe I should have been patient with them?

You know what opinions are compared to? Yep, everyone has one and shouldn't be condemned for theirs. OH, isn't that what's going on in the country right now!!!??

K0BJJ likes this.
  10. K4PP

K4PP Ham Member QRZ Page

K0BJJ, You have to realize that a lot of active hams are old man. They've already done everything we're excited to do. Ham radio grew up with them. There is nothing wrong with that, and yeah some of them are crotchety, and they'll tell you your full of hubris. They are from the time when you got a new job, they looked for the grumpiest OB in the back of the highbay who knew everything and took his crap until they learned it and then they ran the highbay. Not straight to the bosses office to discuss the list of training classes and plans for promotion potential. You can call them gnomes if you want, but I would suggest you just brush it off and get in there with them.

I watched you video and I know what you are saying. I got my license in '08 but much of what I know came from the OM's. I've never much gotten on repeaters since I got my license so I can't really relate to that part or the service part. Just a hobby hear.

I think when the internet came about along with computers, ham radio more or less froze in turnover for the most part. 2009 with smart phones didn't help it either.

K4PP

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  11. WW5F

WW5F Ham Member QRZ Page

Been hammin' since 1975. Got into it because of my overwhelming fascination with the idea of working DX using CW. Never was a voice guy.

Ham radio has changed.

When I gave up CW about a year ago, I felt something had just given it's last breath and was now dead to me. I mourned a bit.

Now ham radio is nothing more than a wireless interface to my computer.

WD4ELG, PY2NEA and SV2HZF like this.
  12. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The YouTubers Bunch is awaiting your application....you will fit right in. :rolleyes:

K8PG likes this.
  13. MORRISSEL311

MORRISSEL311 QRZ Member

Hello there! hope you all are doing good. Recently came across this website and im glad to be honest!

14. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Silly question a 1st grader could answer, all other technologies like Cell phones and the new bible called You Tube.

PY2NEA likes this.
  15. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Amateur Radio has to be the only hobby that has been getting killed/dying for over 100 years.......yet here we are.

Don't fall for this clickbait nonsense.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    W4HMB, K7WFM and NN4RH like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.