ad: CQMM-1

How does the ARRL CEO Ham?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Sep 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Jack,

I have been reasonable in assisting you with the facts on the VM program. You defame myself and others by the direct statement that VM's are "hired by the FCC". That is not 'hurting my feelings'. It is an injury based on a statement which is knowingly FALSE. To wit--

NO VM is hired by the FCC. Or the ARRL. Or anyone else.

WE decide to be VM's . WE are not paid.

The V in 'VM' stands for 'VOLUNTEER'. UNPAID. NO COMPENSATION.

Folks who are VM's do it to help US keep the bands , and to keep the bands, we--you, me, us-- have to be monitored for violations. THE HAM RADIO COMMUNITY chooses this. We want it. We want our bands to be what we signed up for when we got our licences, not dens of illegal enablement.

The FCC does INDEED SERVE US. And what we want is bands unpolluted by the dross of major VIOLATIONS of Part 97. WE W-A-N-T enforcement.

You don't but WE do.

Want proof? Go make yourself a list of all the hams who DON'T want enforcement on the bands. How long is that list..one?

And no one that I know has been pursued by the FCC by occasionally failing to ID every 10 minutes. The FCC 'weights' reported possible violations based on the magnitude of the impact on the Part 97 community. They aren't interested in petty, anecdotal and unrepeated, stuff.

Jeez. If you are trying to grasp an audience, don't insult it with wrong assertions.

Think.

It helps.

I understand from your bio that you are a young ham. That does not remove the responsibility of respect, truthfulness and cordiality with your fellow hams, of all ages. We welcome you here, and on the air, under those premises.

Don't EVER call a fellow ham a 'snitch' --what you call a paid informer--without a basis in fact.

None presented by you here.

If you want a place with no rules, then look at what happened in Grafton,NH with the libertarians. Hint: the bears won.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    WN1MB likes this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Its not the same thing. The VM program is not to snitch on opinions expressed. There's a pretty clear distinction.
    Ham Radio DOES have rules. Technical and legal stuff that you signed on to when getting your license. Better quality people will follow them.

WN1MB and W1YW like this.
  3. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not quite true... simple Google search.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology_of_ham_radio

"Why do they call it a ham radio?

Well, it goes like this:

The word “HAM” as applied to 1908 was the station CALL of the first amateur wireless station operated by some amateurs of the Harvard Radio Club. They were ALBERT S. HYMAN, BOB ALMY and POOGIE MURRAY. ... They then decided to use only the first letter of each name and the station CALL became “HAM”."

Source: 1AF / W1AF

FIGHT FIERCELY HARVARD!

N5EVV likes this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what YOUR Google wants you to think.

KQ1V likes this.
  5. KF0DHQ

KF0DHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

First off, On my part I should have known that such many would get confused at a simple word of "Hired"

hired
    /ˈhīərd/

adjective
    1. employed for a short time to do a particular job.
      (Example: "a hired assassin")

See? Nothing about compensation or payment. you certainly turned that into the fallacy of ambiguity.

Second, you committed the fallacy of distraction. The main part of the discussion was about that if the FCC should use hams as monitors and not themselves.

Third, I don't recall saying if the masses or majorities wanted the volunteer monitoring system. And I bet if I made a list I might be the only one!

fourth, you insulted my honor by saying "Trying to grasp a crowd" Especially when your deciphering of the quoted assertion was obviously wrong!

And in conclusion, your post was filled with illogical flaws and I can call anything or anyone, anything I want. It's my right I hope.

73's KF0DHQ Jack A. Weigel

6. N4QX

N4QX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

*plonk*

KD9VMP, WN1MB and W1YW like this.
  7. KF0DHQ

Dear KP4SX

First of all, Thanks for not insulting me!

Second The VM's are a little opinionated like the 3.819 USB case. The VM's reported them for "Not Identifying on time". It was pretty obvious that the 3.819ers were conservative CBers I would know I've listen to them before. The VM's Flagged them for not giving there call every ten minuets. And there licensed got revoked. If I were a VM I would give a little more grace don't ya think? Yell they didn't It's pretty clear that they had other reasons in mind.

73's KF0DHQ Jack A. Weigel

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck.

KA2FIR likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Watch out for those libeartarians!

;-)
    [​IMG]

N4QX likes this.
  10. KF0DHQ

Don't need your luck. I have from some from one whos higher then you if you know what I mean.

11. KF0DHQ

Als
    Also this part of your comment was exactly like WN1MB where the consequent of the "Lawless Airwaves" and the "Lawless town" are completely different.

KF0DHQ Jack A. Weigel

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Enough Jack.

You've had your fun.

NA2AA /ARRL is not a 'statism' conspiracy, and your comments do not have 'divine' origin.

Be nice or be ignored. Best advice you'll get this year.

Chip W1YW

KA2FIR, K3RW and WN1MB like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Callsigns please.

Asserted but not shown.

Also, there is nothing about ballroom dancing in Part 97.

14. ZL1FTH

ZL1FTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard a story that the name came from the Marconi operators who considered every one else to be "ham fisted amateurs"

15. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

My, my! I see a pattern developing here. You do like making those specific accusations, don't you? Have any more fallacy fingers to point?
    There's another one of your hackneyed accusations.
    There's that fallacy fetish again.

However, I'll see your definition, and raise you one:

From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) [wn]:

employed
    adj 1. having your services engaged for; or having a job
    especially one that pays wages or a salary; "most of our
    graduates are employed" [ant: {unemployed}]

It's "who's"; not "whos." And it's "than"; not "then." You're (not your or yore) welcome.
    Not only long before he was licensed - the OO program started, coincidentally, 73 years before he was born.

I don't know about today's VMs, but OOs frequently sent out "good operator" reports to folks when their signal quality, operating skill, helpfulness, etc. were exemplary - not just infraction notices and such. Getting an OO card in the mail wasn't always bad news!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    KA2FIR and N5EVV like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.