ad: Alphaant-1

Yaesu to release a new 50W Dual-Band mobile radio, the FTM-6000R!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Sep 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4LKO

W4LKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Just announced!

Yaesu to release a new 50W Dual-Band mobile radio, the FTM-6000R!
    ftm-6000_front.jpeg
    The FTM-6000R delivers reliable and stable 50W transmit performance. The heavy-duty heat sink is equipped with FACC (Funnel Air-Convection Conductor). The speaker delivers 3W of clear and crisp receive audio which has been specifically tuned for radio communication. The front panel of the FTM-6000R is detachable and can be mounted at the most desirable operating position. The new FTM-6000R supports optional Bluetooth® wireless operation using the SSM-BT10* Headset or a commercially available Bluetooth® headset*.

For more information or to order yours today, click HERE!

KC1X/SK2022, N4FZ, KD7TWW and 2 others like this.
  2. N6NLX

N6NLX Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, not wanting to sound so negative but…YAWN!
    Come on Yaesu you guys used to be so innovative. This looks like an updated FT-90. I loved the ft-90. There is no WOW factor to this radio. I’ve always been a Yaesu proponent and always owned Yaesu gear. The last few years your product lines haven’t been real exciting. I did buy an ftm-300.
    I really thought you guys were going to compete with the IC-705. I would have entertained that one.
    Don.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    KO4TFC, WB8UJU, NL7W and 25 others like this.
  3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice to be able to get a simple no frills solid dual band radio. Without paying for digital stuff, etc.

K1OC, KY4WG, NL7W and 25 others like this.
  4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Add to the above... I think the new price is just 10% over what I paid for my FT7900... 15 years ago. What a trouper, that radio lasted longer than my truck.

K1OC, W2KG, N4FZ and 7 others like this.
  5. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

While not cutting edge this fills the gap left by the discontinued 7900. A standard analog dual band rig with a detachable face has been missing from Yaesu's lineup for awhile. I'm also digging the no frills retro look of the front panel.

AB0RE, KY4WG, 2E0NYH and 11 others like this.
  6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just what the world needs, another dual band analog FM radio. :rolleyes:

K6VOX, AE7DX, W9HJ and 8 others like this.
  7. AI5DD

AI5DD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you get RFI on 2 meters in your vehicle with the FTM300? I drive a 2014 Silverado and I have noise when the engine is running, when the key off it's clear. UHF I have no issues.

8. N6NLX

N6NLX Ham Member QRZ Page

I don’t notice a lot of engine noise. I do randomly get noise that opens the squelch but it appears to be regional. It happens in certain parts of town. It’s irritating while trying to scan the bands. I do think Yaesu has done a good job with the receiver front end compared to some of the Chinese radios. Some of those are rendered useless due to paging and other forms of RF noise.

I do wish Yaesu would implement a “nuisance delete” feature in their firmware so when noise does halt the channel scan you can hit a button to lock that channel out. It’s then reset with a power cycle or manually resetting it. Most of my DMR radios have this feature.

WB8SCT, K0ATV and AG6QR like this.
  9. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey, there's a lot to be said for "YAWN!" I own two FT-7900s, and when I got a new vehicle recently, I would have bought a third one if they'd been readily available.

It seems Yaesu can't kill off the FT-60 HT; it has been a popular radio for ages, not because it's fancy (it isn't), but because it gives solid dual-band analog FM performance in an easy-to-use package at a reasonable price. The FT-7900 had essentially the FT-60 feature set, except packaged as a mobile, with a more powerful PA.

I can't tell yet if this new radio is simple to use. Too many radio makers tend to clutter up their radios with lots of fancy but not so useful features hidden behind menus and strange button combinations. And don't get me started on digital voice that is incompatible with the other existing digital voice schemes. I just want an analog FM radio that works well and simply.

Too early to tell, but this might be it.

VA6YB, KY4WG, NL7W and 7 others like this.
  10. VA3PCI

VA3PCI Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing to get too excited over; just an old school 2m/70cm radio. Nothing fancy, not even one of them new fangled RGB LEDs to change the colour of the screen but it does have some rudimentary Bluetooth functionality. I'd really like to be able to program these radios over Bluetooth instead of buying proprietary cables that need special drivers. I guess in another 10 years when the next refresh comes.

AE7DX, 2E0NYH, KD6RFJ and 1 other person like this.
  11. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

K3RW likes this.
  12. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This new radio looks like a replacement for discontinued FT-7900. I previously owned FT-7900; it performed pretty fair still had so awful ergonomics that it was impossible to use except one single preset frequency so it ended up with TNC for APRS in my car and in year or two was finally sold. Okay but this new one has even less buttons and probably smaller display! Hope Yaesu saved rear 'DATA' connector from extinction so the new radio could be used for packet and digital modes as well as the old one.

I'm waiting for a new Yeasu with only one 'GM' button. Even with no PTT. This would be logical end of Yaesu's ergonomics evolution.

US7IGN likes this.
  13. VE4KMF

VE4KMF Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't get engine noise on my FTM-300 with my 2011 Ford Escape, but I do get electrical noise from other sources (when I park in my spot in front of my building at work), and always on the same frequency 146.730.
    The front of the car is inches from the building, and the only electrical sources nearby are a surveillance camera and a halogen? light mounted near the roof line, approximately 20 feet off the ground.
    If I park in a spot away from the building, no noise.

14. N2PLI

N2PLI Ham Member QRZ Page

Only 1 display

15. AB0R

AB0R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Way too much $$$ IMO. There are several other radios in the price class that are MUCH nicer, again IMO.

W9HJ and W9JTC like this.