ad: elecraft

How does the ARRL CEO Ham?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Sep 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K0DUC

K0DUC Ham Member QRZ Page

The entire drama with Mr. Heath is an interesting one. Mr. Heath appears to be a great radio operator, a long time active and successful amateur radio participant, and a wealth of knowledge on the subject. I think his remarks on the ARRL have some truth to them, and some of his ideas are worth expounding upon.

However, Mr. Heath is also quite egotistical, a claim that is validated by many videos he has made and the way he goes about many things. He makes sure to put his name on everything, with his latest video the end of the title is Listen To Jim W9LG's Words as he commands us to head his incredibly wise teachings. His useful criticisms of the ARRL are somewhat buried under the fact the entire direction of the drama that resulted was that he was more or less being childishly angry that he wasn't being treated as well PERSONALLY by the ARRL and its CEO as nicely as he thought he should be.

Mr. Heath is right, it should be called a radio service, not just referenced to as a mere hobby. Even if the hobby part is the majority, it is the ARRL's job to promote and defend the radio service, which includes promoting its best positive attributes such as public service, and there is public service in Ham. That is a valid point.

I also started to get the vibe and feeling from some board members and the ARRL in general of "Common guys, its a dying hobby, just accept the loss of bandwith and accept the doom of a dying hobby filled with old dying white men". If a man would not pay a lawyer to slander him in a court and plead for a guilty verdict in court, why would he pay $50 a year to the ARRL to have his advocacy group tell him his hobby is essentially dying and he should look forward to telecoms running him over?

Certainly, Ham is going to lose a lot of high bandwith, as it has more and more practical uses outside Amateur radio. That's a fact, and the ARRL, or almost no one, can stop that. When we should be hearing this, when the ARRL said "we put up the good fight and we'll fight every other grab, even if the prevailing wind is against us", I get the feeling radio operators are being told to build a casket and mourn the death of their crappy little kids fun hobby.

Instead of saying "we can't defend high bandwith that a dozen amateur radio operators use against a business that wants to serve hundreds of thousands of customers", some of the explanations almost made the ARRL sound like they worked for the telecoms. Explaining the loss sounded more like they were against the radio services, instead of for them.

When a group like the ARRL or NRA start demanding a leadership role over the people it is supposed to serve, instead of following what the members fight for, there is reason for concern. Remember, it is YOUR job as a member to kick them in the back and keep them moving, not your job to prove your loyalty by going along with anything they come up with.

Keep prodding them and guiding them with a stick. Organizations, the bigger they are, are like dumb animals, because collectives of people are stupid. You have to keep hitting them and guiding them. It isn't showing lack of loyalty to the cause, it is being the MOST purposeful and true to the purpose.

AK5B and M1WML like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Many of you know my opinion on the 'amateur radio SERVICE' vs the 'hobby radio' issue. I will not revisit that.

My point is that the ARRL CEO is not the only voice of the ARRL. You have a President; you have a BOARD of 15 directors--all of which feel free to tell the CEO what he should be doing, on call, all the time. Fifteen cooks. Imagine...Then you have a very dedicated, friendly, and professional staff. Don't forget them.

The ARRL is very much aware that Part 97 is a SERVICE and is represented as such, particularly in DC, as the board directs that. It is more than reasonable to remind fellow amateurs of our multi-part Part 97 mission, but it would be naive to think that Dave is not well aware that we are a SERVICE. I mean, really: cut him some slack.

When speaking to a hobby-oriented audience, it is not unreasonable to discuss Part 97 's 'hobby' aspect.

As to lack of 'polish' in an ARRL presentation...well, these are not easy times and finding the right people to do stuff is not easy. Again, cut Dave slack.

The ARRL has taken a very nice position in the last couple of years of projecting , as it should, the fun of ham radio, and its I-N-C-L-U-S-I-V-E nature. That' sounds fine business to me.

Chip W1YW

M1WML, W0FS, W9EBE and 1 other person like this.
  3. W9FFF

W9FFF Ham Member QRZ Page

After joining the ARRL, I no longer think they are right for me based on some personal experiences with them, recently. He also didn't seem to care too much about the ft8off, even though it's exactly what he envisions in contests. Maybe it was his body language or maybe he doesn't really care. Regardless, good interview as always

M1WML, KM9G and KF0DHQ like this.
  4. KF0DHQ

KF0DHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

5:00 " Cross road of the hobby"
    Fist of all, debunking a statement by the format, (A normal chat or video), is very illogical. It doesn't need to be in words it is very normal to rebut an argument with the same format. A. to appeal to the majority ( Every one watched that video why not this?) and B. you don't have to write out something that's already said!

A duel solved issues in the 17th and 18th centuries we just changed formats.

Jack A. Weigel KF0DHQ "73's"

M1WML likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

"have my machine call your machine..."

K3OXL, M1WML and W0FS like this.
  6. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I heard there was a rift at the ARRL, and then people were asked to leave. I've been there twice, and I confess I am shocked they did not charge for a tour.

What bothers me about the ARRL, they are tone deaf to their customers, everything costs money with the ARRL, and their publications are God awful.

I'd love to see an ARRL manual WITHOUT instructions for projects I will never do or even have an interest in. Give me tables: light bulbs, Q-signs, resistors, tubes, instructions on how to attach an PL-269 or N-connector, how repeaters work, HF Propagation, antenna basics, oh safety - can't for forget safety! Get back to basics. for an annual, the ARRL goofs it up, annually.

K4FMH, N5EVV and K0UO like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

??

After K1ZZ left there was a reduction in staff count to save money.

There were several folks who retired recently, who actually were asked to stay on for a while several years ago. Haven't heard about any rift.

NN4RH and M1WML like this.
  8. K6VOX

K6VOX Ham Member QRZ Page

Can we go back to guessing about Solar Cycle 25? That "Might" be more fun....

( my Political/Youtube jackaloon senses are tingling)

M1WML likes this.
  9. W1WH

W1WH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And it’s not an acronym.

M1WML, W0FS, WN1MB and 2 others like this.
  10. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

It stands for Hiram A. Maxim who invented HAM.

M1WML likes this.
  11. KA2BLG

KA2BLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you cite your source please. I can’t find any such person with the middle initial “A”.

M1WML likes this.
  12. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought his treatment of “Jim” was rude and out of order.

Enjoyable interview however and he came across much better. Great Job, Steve.

M1WML likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't get the negativism regarding NA2AA.

In the past, the issues were the autocracy of the ARRL CEO, and whether the CEO actually got on the air. These aren't issues for NA2AA.

Do you guys WANT a new CEO every six months? If you keep it up no one will even consider taking that job....who needs that level of abuse?

M1WML likes this.
  14. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Heck, I thought it (HAM") was/is an acronym. ;)

M1WML likes this.
  15. KF0DHQ

KF0DHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Why can't Ham radio be like CB? I mean I never lived in the day when CB was "Alive" but it sounds better then this totalitarian hypocrisy we live in today with ham radio. In CB radio we only had to listen to the FCC and half the time we didn't even listen! With Ham Radio we are forced to comply with everything the FCC says because of the ARRL VM program (A.K.A. Snitch program). It's all very stupid and if the new CEO is taking suggestions, mine is take away the snitches.

KF0DHQ Jack A. Weigel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.