ad: M2Ant-1

New 10 meter propagation beacon in Seattle

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K7RA, Jul 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K7RA

K7RA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On Friday I fired up a new propagation beacon K7RA/B, in CN87uq, coordinated by IARU, which assigned the frequency: 28.2833 MHz. Appreciate any reports via QSL card or email. It runs 7 watts into a vertical half-wave dipole.

K7RA

NA1S, NG0L, K1LH and 7 others like this.
  2. K1LH

K1LH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good to have a local beacon for antenna comparisons, I just found it. S3 (on horizontally polarized antenna) in Puyallup / South Hill.

3. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the height above ground of the half wave dipole ?

4. K7RA

Thanks for your report.

5. K7RA

The dipole is vertical, and the low end is about 10 feet above ground. Actual power output is 11 watts.

K8EEI likes this.
  6. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard it a couple of times in July and August down here in Salem on my 4 el OWA at 30 feet but I have a good north facing radio horizon on a high hill above 500 feet in South Salem.

The Last time I heard it was back in August and typically it's best in the mornings but since late august to mid sept I was away down at my Prescott Arizona house working on my tower without a radio and I haven't checked it here in CN84 since I got back.

It was very weak but when I run my RSP1 as a second receiver on my K3s and engage the SDR Console DSP noise reduction software I can actually gain around a 3 db improvement over the already great K3S sensitivity on CW and just begin to pick it out of the noise.

7. K1LH

K1LH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Me too, I'm 35 miles south of Seattle, 400 ft ASL, clear views to the north, perfect for VHF and higher, I can trip a 900 MHz repeater near Bellingham 84 miles north, and a 2m repeater on Mount McDonald on Vancouver Island. Unfortunately not so great going south, terrain continues to rise in that direction. Working on getting 6m 3 element LFA Yagi up here soon and see what I can do with that.

I've noticed that effect over longer paths from 10m through to 70cm for years, not seen an explanation as to why or what causes it, but it soon diminishes a few hours after sunrise.