ad: M2Ant-1

RNNoise, AI Noise Suppression plug-in

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5JDX, Sep 20, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W5JDX

W5JDX Ham Member QRZ Page

AmateurLogic 160: RN Noise, Huntsville Hamfest & Hurricane Ida

George demonstrate RN Noise, free AI noise suppression plug-in. Emile rides out Hurricane Ida while stationed on emergency stand by. Tom Apalenek, WA2IVD
    joins us to share his first visit to Huntsville Hamfest.
    AmateurLogic’s 16th Anniversary Contest. Someone is going to win a great Icom IC-705 transceiver package. Details at amateurlogic.tv/contest .

JF1IRQ, M1WML, TA3CAG and 1 other person like this.
  2. ZS1SBW

ZS1SBW QRZ Lifetime Member #505 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yawn

AA5BK, M1WML, W0AMX and 1 other person like this.
  3. DL4QB

DL4QB QRZ Lifetime Member #719 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hmm...tried it, but for Speaker out, say the SSB receive signal from shortwave, you can not use it for a SSB signales. Getting worth with weaker signales. But for a microfon maybe a try and also for AM Brodcast it will be nice. If there would be a option to adjust the level, that would be good.

M1WML likes this.
  4. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are many noise suppression plugins available as modules for mixing and audio processing programs; I like the ones that come with iZotope. Think I'll add this one and see how I like it. By the way, these are all usable (and testable) with WebSDRs if you direct the output through one of these programs.

M1WML and HB9EPC like this.
  5. W5JDX

I like the iZotope stuff too and use it often but it didn't fair to well on HF during my tests. RNNoise is not really great for this either as it was never trained for this type of noise and doesn't expose enough parameters. Someone with the time and skill could likely tailor it to do much better.

M1WML, HB9EPC and N3RYB like this.
  6. W5JDX

I tried it on SSB too and it did work in some cases, but not all. I agree that a way to adjust the amount of noise reduction would be very helpful.

M1WML and HB9EPC like this.
  7. DL4QB

DL4QB QRZ Lifetime Member #719 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hmm...tried iZOtope RX8 Elements. Looks like you can use it not "live" while you hear the radio, seems to record it first. That is for Broadcast station only interesting maybe. Maybe i did somethign wrong in the Settings, but i can not hear the live signal and de-noise it. If so please give me a hint please :)

M1WML likes this.
  8. WY7BG

I believe that iZotope RX8 Elements has a "monitor" feature that lets you monitor what you may be recording without actually recording it. You can use the iZotope filters with other programs, though, which is what I do because iZotope itself is tailored for producing recordings, not live mixing.

M1WML likes this.
  9. WY7BG

I agree. I'd like to do a very intelligent "auto-notch" (available already on some SDR software) to block out out high pitched whines... and have the filter bring the high end of the passband down just above the highest pitch in the voice (which will vary depending upon who's speaking) to kill the roar of white noise. It might also find the center frequency of the voice and boost it. It could also adjust for the aging ears of older hams (as Bob Heil's little EQ unit does).

CW would be an easier problem, since the software would just need to set a very narrow passband, then follow and boost the single pitch that mattered.

AA5BK, M1WML and HB9EPC like this.
  10. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page