ad: Mountaingoat-1

Route 66 OTA Sept 11 thru Sept 19th

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by NF7E, Sep 10, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NF7E

NF7E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Route 66 SE starts at 00:00Z on Sept 11th with 22 stations on the air, all with 1X1 calls. The Northern Arizona DX Association started this event in 2000 and it has grown to enormous proportions. Last year the event produced over 50,000 QSOs.
    If you can't work all 22, at least try to work our 3 stations W6G, W6S(Rover 1 ) and W6T(Rover 2). Get these three QSLs and line them up side by side and it shows our area of RT 66 and one long Burma Shave sign that
    is spaced through all 3 cards. More information on QRZ.com - See W6T callsign lookup for most information. Thanks and Hope to C U on the air! 73, Bob, NF7E, NADXA [​IMG] www.nadxa.com

Attached Files:

WD5GWY, W4NCB and YD7AFK like this.
  2. WA8MEA

WA8MEA Ham Member QRZ Page

No thanks. Tired of two or three "straggler" stations that don't show up until the last day of the event - year after year. When I asked Citrus about this, they said that I shouldn't complain because these guys are volunteering. I replied that Citrus should make sure they have volunteers who are able to be on the air a reasonable amount of time.

(For you conspiracy theorists, I think it's a deviant plan to process fewer certificates - therefore less work involved... /sarc)

3. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. When they "volunteer", they should commit to spending a REASONABLE amount of time operating. More than just an hour or two on the last day of the event, just before it ends. Then they make one QSO every two minutes, tediously repeating the same info for every contact when the huge pile-up has heard it dozens of times. Not the time or place for a rag-chew.

Maybe the method of administering the use of the callsigns for the special event could be handled in a better way. The individual, group, or club that holds the callsign W6x (for example) should open up the use of that call for any volunteer in the area who is interested in operating, not just for those select few in their "clique". They could use an on-line scheduling website to ensure that there is only one station on the air that is using that callsign on a particular band and mode at the same time. This would increase the number of operators and the time that W6x could be on the air.

WA8MEA likes this.
  4. KR3DX

I'm listening to a station that has a HUGE pile-up trying to work him. He couldn't be any slower or more tedious. Very poor pile-up management. He's lucky to work one station per minute. He spent over 3 minutes trying to work one weak station, when he could have worked a dozen strong stations in the same amount of time. He repeats his name and location with almost every contact. Occasionally reports his station equipment and other unnecessary information. Lots of irrelevant comments. He should be exchanging ONLY the necessary info and quickly moving on to the next caller. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, while dozens or hundreds of stations are on freq and trying to work him.

5. AE1P

AE1P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

While I'm not a huge fan of Special Event stations running them "by the numbers"...
    The one W6x that did, was zipping right along...while there is always that handful
    of Lids that forgets what # is in there call...most played by the rules and got in the log...

As of now, I have worked all but 2, so I hope the conspiracy theorists are wrong...
    (fingers crossed) :eek:

6. KR3DX

Yes, sometimes "by the numbers" is the only way to manage a pile-up, it's less severe than working split. I heard the W6x working them by the numbers, it was the right thing to do in that situation! Much better than spending a minute or more just trying to pick out a partial callsign while guys keep repeating their calls multiple times as they try to be the last one calling. That slows down the QSO rate to a crawl, something that I heard a few of the event station operators allow to happen. Very poor pile-up management, they create their own problems by letting things get out of control.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I "work those I can work" and don't worry about the rest.

I find the CW operators to be far and away the best of the lot. The SSB ops are just all over the board - from really good to just plain lousy operators. And FT8 on an already crowded 20-meter band is just nonsense. Even if you make the FT8 contact, good luck ever seeing your "73" to conclude the cycle.... everyone calling on top of everyone else - half of whom are just blindly calling the RT66 station - never having even seen the guy send a CQ - he's just calling blindly hoping to decode in the RT66 waterfall.

But waiting for the 2 or 3 stragglers to create a giant choking pileup-fest on the last day of the event is just dumb.

Dave
    W7UUU

KR3DX likes this.
  8. KO4CQ

KO4CQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Managed to work one station in St. Louis. The rest, I presume are in AZ, which is off the end of my wire antenna. I haven't been able to hear them at all. Does anyone know where the other W6x stations are located?

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

All up and down the old Route 66 highway - that's the whole point. Chicago to LA.

Full details: https://w6jbt.org/

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2021-9-14_10-45-12.png

AE1P likes this.
  10. K6DWI

K6DWI Ham Member QRZ Page

I for one am happy to see that people are willing to give up their free time to promote the hobby.
    Those who take the time to help me make a contact with my little 100 watt radio and mediocre antenna
    should be praised for their patience and perseverance.
    Weather I get 1 or all 22 on SSB, CW, FT8, or other
    Thanks to all who make this event possible.

KE4DIS, WK0DX, N8MRB and 7 others like this.
  11. KM4OZ

KM4OZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is my first try with this, and sad to say, I have to agree that that the handful of really slow ops, while certainly nice hams having fun, make it not really a viable "thing" going forward. (and I AM up to 15 or 16) I might get a few of the QSL cards for the wall, but certainly wouldn't think of it as reasonable effort to go for a clean sweep like say, 13 Colonies or LMS, which were do-able (except for that QRP station in NY...:) )
    maybe some re-vamping is in order since the intention is good?

"I for one am happy to see that people are willing to give up their free time to promote the hobby."- Honestly I just think of them using that free time to participate in the hobby, especially the rag chewers. No hard feelings, it just doesn't work out that great for a lot of us in the current structure.

W7UUU and KR3DX like this.
  12. W7UUU

I remember one year (2015?) where some guy had the audacity to take out one of the W6* Special Event call signs before the "official" station applied for that letter. Therefore, he wasn't sanctioned because "he wasn't supposed to do that". So all during the event, internet posts were raging that "W6* isn't a legitimate station in RT66!! DO NOT WORK HIM". They had warnings on the RT66 site that working W6* wouldn't count etc. etc. etc. But he just kept on keeping on - working zillions of stations as W6* in Missouri (as I recall) - a 100% legitimate ham who indeed lived along the old Route 66, using a 100% legitimate 1x1 call sign that he applied for and was granted. The angst from the "officials" was palpable.

At the time I thought it was all actually kinda funny :)

Dave
    W7UUU

KR3DX likes this.
  13. KR3DX

We are now halfway through the event and there is one W6* station that I haven't heard or seen spotted AT ALL. Not once. There have been comments on the spotting cluster (which is NOT the place for it) and elsewhere about them being "unobtanium" once again. Sounds like that callsign should be a prime candidate for someone else to "appropriate" and make it an active entity next year.

W1VKE, KM4OZ and W7UUU like this.
  14. K6WDE

K6WDE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for your POSITIVE comment from a small 100 watt and a wire W6C station! (Dave, K6WDE)

PS Tomorrow, Thursday, September 16th, W6C will be active /portable from the historic and iconic Wigwam Motel in Rialto, CA ON ROUTE 66! Come find us from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm [17:00 - 21:00 UTC] PDT on 20 and 40 meters!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    N1KX, KR3DX and WD5GWY like this.
  15. KR3DX

I'm listening to one of the operators now, he took 5 minutes (!) to work one station. Rag-chewed with the guy while dozens of other stations are trying to work him. Gives his name and neighborhood location with almost every contact, and gives the time he logs the contact as if nobody else has a clock in their station. Refers frequently to the pile-up but pretends they aren't there. Calls for a partial call, then before he completes the QSO he abandons it and takes another callsign that some lid butted in with. VERY poor operator.