ad: Radclub22-1

The new Buddistick Pro from Buddipole, Inc.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4FDT, Sep 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W9HJ

W9HJ QRZ Lifetime Member #294 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Actually, from the videos that I've seen, this actually has a very broad band on many frequencies (obviously not 80M, which is very wide and this would be very compromised ... but since this is only for 6M-40M, this isn't an issue), but for 20M, the SWR is VERY broad. Depending on how you tune it, it looks like you can get a 2:1 or less on the ENTIRE 20M band.

[​IMG]

M1WML, K5QBF and KI6NAZ like this.
  2. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ill get mine out soon and grab some analyzer captures.

M1WML and W9HJ like this.
  3. CAHR

CAHR QRZ Member

I've had a chance to play with this antenna and it looks like a great solution for multi-band portable ops. Its pretty quality in your hands too. Like somebody put some thought into it.

M1WML, K5QBF, W4FDT and 1 other person like this.
  4. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked for a Targets plant for several years also, these targets were made from high purity metal some of the metals like tungsten and TI, also Tantalum were powder that went into vacuum hot press, sounds like you know the process well. We the machinists would machine the high purity materials which when finished were shipped to intel, Samsun, HP, Texas instruments and others to make computer chips, they were called sputtering targets, you may know that process as well. Yes you could not wipe your nose without documenting it in triplicate.

M1WML and WN1MB like this.
  5. W3KW

W3KW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the Buddi-pole and Buddi-stick and just about every accessory imaginable. I just bought the components for the Buddi-Stick Pro. Alas, I admit I reverted to a 43' telescoping pole and an end-fed and UNUN as my go-to set up, as it's the easiest, most bang-for-the-buck antenna system for temporary ops. IMHO. However, having said that, I'm a gadget guy, and just had to try it. It's well made stuff and pretty darn cool. Managing SWR is a bit tricky and you have to really own an antenna analyzer if you want accuracy. Eh, more gadgets. Sign me up! HA! If you haven't tried a Buddi-Pole, one issue is changing SWR as you elevate the antenna, and the Buddi-stick teaches you a ton a bout the importance of a counterpoise. All in all, a great learning experience for ham radio.

For travel, I use an Alexloop. I can cram a radio, a battery, and a key all in the supplied briefcase carry bag and it travels very well indeed. I've been to maybe 100 cities with it. Super convenient. Hotel room ops are nearly fruitless though. You have to get outside somewhere. I've had the Buddi-stick attached to balcony railings, but again, not ideal for signal, and difficult to counterpoise. I QSO'd with Tack, JE1RXJ, in Japan using the Buddi-Stick and a KX3 from the top level of the Burbank, CA Holiday Inn parking garage. That was when the sun worked. 15 meters! Seems the sun has been broken for about...forever. That was in my WM7WM days.

I'm rambling. Must be the Stella Artois.

Happy Hamming and all around gadget experimenting.

Wes
    W3KW

EDIT: An easy and cheap way to suspend the counterpoise, is an orange fiberglass "snow stick." They sell them at home stores to mark your driveway for snow plows. I simply use a rubber band attached to the counterpoise spool and wrap it around the top of the fiberglass stick. Cheap, easy, and high visibility. POTA with a counterpoise can be problematic!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  6. K5QBF

K5QBF Ham Member QRZ Page

You can put the coil at the feed point. I asked this on ya radio 2.0 live stream with the creator.

M1WML likes this.
  7. K5QBF

Attached Files:

8. W4FDT

W4FDT Ham Member QRZ Page

I can attest that the tap points and counter poise markings are pretty much right on the money. Depending on your soil or location it might differ by just a little, but to get it back in line you simple roll in or out the counter poise wire by a few inches.

M1WML likes this.
  9. K5QBF

In my video I covered a few options like putting the coil between the two 11in pieces or on the base and stacking everything on top. It will change the tuning a little, but I don't think by much.

M1WML likes this.
  10. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you like the rig expert stick? Ive thought about buying one. I like the sark but its very fuddgity (sp?) And needs calibration often.

M1WML likes this.
  11. K5QBF

I really like it. Simple, easy to use and easy y to I read outdoors.

M1WML likes this.
  12. W3KW

W3KW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My first pseudo Buddi-Stick Pro set up for 40 meters:

upload_2021-9-14_20-29-13.jpeg

I didn’t even reference the manual. I used the longest Rigid Shock Cord Whip Buddipole makes. 5 section, 32” version at full extension. It took very little counterpoise to bring the SWR into a very low number across most of the band. Less than 1.2:1 and nuts on where I use it. Nailed it the first time. One issue I had with the shock cord whip was pulling off the bottom section accidentally while trying to go full length. It is marked “ end” but out it came. An über tiny piece of copper flange hit the ground. Fortunately, I found it and was able to re-assemble the lower section. Use caution.

upload_2021-9-14_20-30-10.jpeg

upload_2021-9-14_20-39-38.jpeg

Just for grins, I did a quick band change. 20 meters. It was way out at first. I shortened the radiator by one section, and lengthened my counterpoise to the 20 meter yellow tape I put on my counterpoise wire 5 years ago. Bam. That was easy:

upload_2021-9-14_20-36-56.jpeg

Total time for the band change with a bit of experimenting with the tap was 4 minutes. That included re-learning how to use the antenna analyzer which is a bit less than intuitive.

I threw my name in the hat on the SKCC SKED page but couldn’t find a taker. The skeeters were all over me on this hot and humid September evening and the light was fading. Tore down the set up in about 5 minutes, including putting it away. There are lots of tiny tidbits to lose in the dark so I’d recommend extra parts like coil taps if you’re going remote. (And a headlamp) Also, the shock cord whip was very top heavy and ANY wind would require guying. I bought the -Pro in pieces and am adding more pieces shortly (Already ordered) so will see how the lighter -pro components hold up on the -Pro tripod and report back.

It’s a lot of fun to tinker with, but honestly, my go-to temp antenna is the much less expensive MFJ 43’ telescoping pole, a wire, and an UNUN all bought for about $180. It does require a way to keep it vertical though. This has never really been a problem. Lugging it up a slope for SOTA wouldn’t be fun, but I use a 31’ telescoping pole for that.

All in all, the Buddipole stuff is well engineered and very high on the fun stuff to tinker with scale.

Wes
    W3KW

Any errors can be attributed to the glass of wine in the first photo. It was empty by the last photo.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    KE0GXN, N9UO, M1WML and 3 others like this.
  13. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the Buddipole Long Deluxe package and I take it whenever I go camping up north. I'm pleased with it, good antenna, no beefs about it.

I only wish there was a way to set up the guy wires faster especially in stony/gravel paths to avoid the wind blowing it over. As it stands it usually takes me about 30 minutes from arriving at a suitable outdoor space, scouting out a suitable place to place the tripod and messing around with anchoring to the point where I'm connected to a radio and ready to power up.

Recent northern trip was up to first Red Lake, and then next to Pickle Lake, Ontario, I set up by a clearing out of town so not to interfere with the local floatplane communications. In Red Lake I made a contact with EA8DHA and then in Pickle Lake I contacted W8FM and AE4TG.

Oh well, nothing will be perfect!

73s.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  14. KD2HAM

KD2HAM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How long did it take you guys to receive your antenna? I ordered on Tuesday and haven't seen any shipping update on the site. I emailed them and no answer.

15. KD2HAM

KD2HAM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well it looks like their site says sold out and no reply to my email about it. I'll call them tomorrow