ad: chuckmartin

The new Buddistick Pro from Buddipole, Inc.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4FDT, Sep 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

My understanding of the definition of the word analogy is apparently different than yours. Perhaps you meant metaphor.
    I disagree with your assertion but went back and reviewed the entire thread to be sure. I didn't note a single instance where I made fun of anyone - other than that one 10-4 rib jab. As for thread derailment attempts, I saw none. What I did see were a number of observations, comments, and very minor thread drift.

N1IPU and N3FAA like this.
  2. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

You are wise beyond your years aren't you! a worthy addition to the /ignore feature no doubt

KC5HWB and W4FDT like this.
  3. W9HJ

W9HJ QRZ Lifetime Member #294 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I do have a question about the setup on the included tripod: When assembled, how far off the ground is the tuning coil?

I mean with the tripod legs, the antenna segment from the Versa Hub to the coil. It hard to tell, but it looks like it might be up at 6 feet, which might be a pain for shorter people to be able to change tuning coil.

4. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh-my. Ignore? Say it ain't so.

If the Vid posted had any quality I doubt many would be complaining. For example check out the SDR vid right on the main page. I have very little interest in them as I think it makes something simple very complicated and therefore failure prone but I watched it anyways. Very detailed and well done with all the info actual hams want to know. Wasn't pushing "sales influencer" meme at all.
    Quality gets quality responses. That is how it goes.

N3FAA likes this.
  5. W4FDT

W4FDT Ham Member QRZ Page

You can put the coil above the two antenna arms and then the whip, or you can put it on top of the versa hub and then the two arms and whip... of coarse the goal is to get the coil as high up as you can in the antenna. When you put the legs on the vera hub to form the tripod, the base of the versa hub is about 4 and a half feet. You are correct, if you put the coil on top of the two antenna arms the coil is about 6ft or so up. I didn't cover tuning in this particular video because my goal was to just show what came in the kit and how its assembled, but there will be some tuning videos coming out soon with this antenna. In a nutshell, once you find your correct tap point (it comes with these as instructions) then once you get to your site, you simply roll the counter poise in or out to fine tune the antenna. Very seldom would you need to move the "tap" on the coil, unless you are just changing bands. Some people just add multiple taps for their favorite band so then you just swap the jumper to the tap you want to use and then roll in or extend the counter poise for fine tuning.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    W9HJ and KC5HWB like this.
  6. KA4VNM

KA4VNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been a user for years. The first few times I used it it did seem awkward. But after getting some practice, marking the coils with color sharpies for each band I used, it became real fast. Now I can get the dipole up and ready to go in about 15 minutes including erecting the tripod (an MFJ 19') , and tuning gets a lot easier once you have a good starting point and measurements for the whips if need be. I keep a single laminated index card in the pack with the measurements. The stick is faster than the dipole for sure but performance wise the dipole is better in most cases. The best part is being able to mix and match parts to get the best antenna for the application. Again its time, patience and practice. Just be careful you can get a case Buddipoleitis and start get addicted to accessories!

W4FDT likes this.
  7. K5QBF

K5QBF Ham Member QRZ Page

The legs put the feed point at about 4ft. The coil sits at roughly 22in above the feed point. The hub will also mount on a standard camera tripod as well. Then you’d have adjustable legs.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    KC5HWB and WN1MB like this.
  8. K5QBF

Wow, you really are a negative person. You come in just to beat down a fellow ham trying to show you something he bought and paid for. Way to promote the hobby my friend.

9. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Please, Promote the hobby? Those who really promote the hobby are out there in the trenches, In the schools and clubs. Being an influencer does not promote the hobby. Those on youtube promoting the hobby are teaching theory and practice.
    Your promoting sales. Like the people who make unboxing vids. Only a narcissist would think they are promoting the hobby that way.

[​IMG]

N3FAA likes this.
  10. W4FDT

Great advice. I use the vertical a lot of times for 40m due to the low take off angle vs being able to get the dipole up high enough to matter.. However, as you said performance is great in the dipole configuration also. Recently ive been using the dipole in an L shape.. angling one arm towards the ground more.. this seems to improve take off angle on 40m. Its all an experiment and I like being able to swap parts even with other antenna systems with this. Thanks for your comments!

KA4VNM likes this.
  11. AC3D

AC3D Ham Member QRZ Page

Well your right it is not listed on the website???? So how much is the shiny new THING?

M1WML likes this.
  12. W4FDT

So far the price has been reported as $199 for the base package (coil, 2 antenna arms, clips, whip, bag) then the Deluxe package adds on the shock cord legs and 25ft of mil spec coax totaling $275. The versa hub can be used on a camera tripod, so you if you already have coax you do not have to get the shock chord legs. OR alternatively like me and several others if you already have the buddistick, you can just purchase the items you need for the tripod base to go with the kit you currently have. As I have mentioned before, you may want to contact buddipole at their email info@buddipole.com for exact pricing and current options.

M1WML likes this.
  13. K5QBF

Oh I guess you missed our Park on the Air video where we got new hams on HF for the first time. You should look at other channels sometime. There are Hams out there that can no longer leave the house so we bring the hobby to them. This will be my last response to you. I will be ignoring your profile because you contribute zero to the conversation.

M1WML, W4FDT, KN4VVJ and 1 other person like this.
  14. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sadly, this has become almost standard on this forum. If you go back to the main page and look at how many views this thread has, as opposed to comments, my thinking is that many people read the thread, enjoyed it, then moved on. Some folks may have skimmed it, decided they weren't interested, and also moved on. But those who think their opinions are so much more important than everyone else's, those who think their way of *promoting the hobby* (which is actually quite the opposite) are often the loudest on this forum. They do nothing but cause chaos, irritate people, and make this place less interesting and helpful to those people who actually are interested in the OP topics.

I've come to this of these threads like the Ham Radio clubs where you go to a meeting for the first time and you find they are quite cliquish and don't want to talk to you because you don't know CW or aren't part of the group. Those clubs aren't common in my area, but many, many folks have commented on lots of my videos with reports of such clubs.

Folks like yourself need to keep posting and commenting so that we can maintain some logical viewpoints in these threads, instead of letting the negative commenters take over the entire site.

M1WML, KN4VVJ and W4FDT like this.
  15. KN4VVJ

KN4VVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I appreciate the Youtube "Groups" & "Individuals "who provide great content and Community. I'm looking forward to purchasing my Buddistick Pro.

M1WML, KC5HWB, K5QBF and 1 other person like this.