ad: elecraft

The new Buddistick Pro from Buddipole, Inc.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4FDT, Sep 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N0YG

N0YG Ham Member QRZ Page

I also looked and looked on their website, NO PRICE. I guess I will call them tomorrow, Tuesday.

2. K5QBF

K5QBF Ham Member QRZ Page

They should be listed this week. Last I talked to them it was $199 for the antenna and hub (which you can mount on any photo tripod) the legs are $51 which would make the full tripod and the coax they have made for it $26.

W4FDT and W9HJ like this.
  3. W0TRS

W0TRS Ham Member QRZ Page

i will "stick" with the setup I use with my buddistick...Ground mounted with 8 radial wires 9 feet long..Works great and my radio,coax,3d printed ground mount,radials and buddistick all fit inside my Nanuk case and my pannier bag on my recumbent trike..With everything 13" or less it is perfect..And it work just like a base ground mounted vertical HF antenna

W4FDT likes this.
  4. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

It took several months before my MTR was shipped, I emailed LNR and received a email back from Ryan as I remember, at that time he told me they were backed up and I was like 40th on the list, a couple more weeks went by I emailed him again, he replied that my order would ship sometime in the next week and he was busy soldering components onto the boards, I remember him saying the boards were outsourced, I assume Chi## and that there last shipment of boards had been held up. So yes I know very hard or impossible to buy any electronics that don't have at least some portion that is not from chi##. Oh I did receive my MTR the following week, good folks to deal with. 72'

AJ6KZ likes this.
  5. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

To be fair I have no idea what theyre asking price will be for now. I am not affiliated with them. I was lucky at the time I talked to the owner of the company and he allowed me to test these out. I did buy the whole thing and got nothing for free.

My advice with the tripod design is that the antenna is going to be top heavy. Wind or a kid or a dog can easily knock it over bending your whips. There is a small threaded bolt hole on the bottom of the tripod receiver that you can screw in an eye hook and tie a cord to a tent stake thereby anchoring the antenna to the earth. It appears that it was engineered to do this as it was shared with me by BStick to do so.

Its a fine system and really makes the antenna far more versatile in rugged terrain operations. The legs are flexible and the antenna can be leveled by eye simply by manipulating the bend in the legs.

W4FDT likes this.
  6. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats right. For SOTA it depends on the mountain top where these antenna is useable.

7. M5FRA

M5FRA Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to laugh, it becomes a 'professional' antenna when it's mounted on a not very substantial t r i p o d. You can use a camera tripod and save a lot of cash.

UT7UX and WN1MB like this.
  8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

...and "tactical" when painted camo. heh.

AJ6KZ, KD7G and UT7UX like this.
  9. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You don't seem realize how difficult is to buy something made in USA if you are overseas. Sure there are lots of brokers and agents who would help for fee. Previously I owned made in USA car (I was 101% happy with it) and now I'm looking for a new US-made one that is pretty rare across Europe and requires noticeable effort to buy, delivery, and pay endless taxes. Did you know we have to duct tape amber turn signals on the rear and on front fenders to get the car 'certified' coz we disallowed to use red turn signals on the rear but amber only (sure we don't need them after 'certification')? Shooting/reloading/etc. gear is all made in USA no doubt. I own numerous stuff from MFJ and similar US manufacturers; all that stuff was pretty expensive to get due shipping restrictions and shipping fee. I owned AV-640 and it was definitively best antenna (of its kind) that I sold only to replace with other made in USA Hy-Gain. So please say nothing to me as I already pay twice for made in USA products. ;)

BTW do you own iphone/ipad/macbook? If yes, my congrats: they're made in China. Whatever advertisement says every buyer of 'American' Apple product pays to Chinese Foxconn and other Chinese assembly factories that use Chinese (mostly) parts, and final product is assembled by Chinese employees then put into Chinese carton boxes and wrapped into Chinese film.

N7KO likes this.
  10. KC3JH

KC3JH Ham Member QRZ Page

I think most people are aware of this already. Or at least they should be. On every Apple device (all the ones I have ever seen, anyway) there is an inscription that says "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China".

73 de W3PX

AJ6KZ, N7KO and UT7UX like this.
  11. W9HJ

W9HJ QRZ Lifetime Member #294 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yup, as the owner of an American electronics manufacturing company, it is virtually impossible for a small or midsized company to ship to "Fortress Europe" because of all the import rules and regulations and tariffs. Our company has basically given up on trying after several decades, so our products aren't commonly seen there, but we have to fight toe to toe with European companies for competing products. I'd say more, but that would be more along the lines of politics, but you are spot on with what you said.

KA4VNM and UT7UX like this.
  12. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is pretty popular business. Take standard Chinese product, make some (if any, except the badge) aesthetic (including software where applicable) corrections, and you're designer of an original product that is designed in your particular country and assembled in China. In fact the product remains 100% Chinese and designing company remains just an importer whatever one says. Browse Amazon and see tons of similar products under different trademarks from different sellers. Sure such giant companies like Apple really have their own design however in fact they support the money to leak from USA to China. And that leakage is huge. Where is the logic? All the world, not only Americans pays the money to 'American', 'European', and so on companies for (in)direct support of China and (in)direct destruction of own industry, and then blames China's growth?

AJ6KZ and KC3JH like this.
  13. W4FDT

W4FDT Ham Member QRZ Page

the one thing about buddipole, a majority of their product is made and assembled right here in the USA.

K5QBF and UT7UX like this.
  14. W4FDT

W4FDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Im glad you have a kit that works for you, the buddipole line of products are made to be built upon and modified to the users standards. I have a ton of extra antenna arms and long whips to experiment with when I build my antenna for activations or just portable use. The idea with the new hub and tripod legs is to get the feedpoint up in the air more which allows for lower take off angle. Thank you for your comment and showing that these antennas can be modified a ton of ways!

K5QBF likes this.
  15. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

As of this morning I cannot find the price but Sunday I found it and it was over $500.00 That's a lot for a portable antenna that will get bashed hard in the field. Not saying it isn't worth every penny but Considering what one can do with wire and paracord it's not worth it to me. Of course if you operate on the beach or granite tops it becomes a different story. My self I run WRC coils and collapsible whips for a quarter of the price. Maybe they handle more power but not seeing that here. With the WRC I runn 100 SSB and 25 digital all day.