ad: CQMM-1

Is this the worst antenna for portable use? - Comet HFJ-350M Toy Box

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Sep 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Could be...

AC0ZJ, G0CIQ, KD9QWD and 6 others like this.
  2. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I get good results with a MFJ Big Stick with it's coil, or a Wolf Creek Coil with 17.5' Telescopic whip. Pretty much the same type of antenna with either one but the Wolf coil seems more heavy duty to me. I have not had to use any thing larger when 25' radials many times I just don't use radials an rely on my 3 foot long tripod legs acting as them.

Other times I just put the Coil and 17' Whip on the back of my truck's steak mount 3/8-24 and use the Truck as the counterpoise. I even have done that while at a pick-in-ick table with a coax extension.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    KB2HSH, KO4ESA, K4FMH and 9 others like this.
  3. WB6FQZ

WB6FQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

WHY OH WHY do people keep wasting time and money on these air cooled dummy loads???
    Just because you see 50 ohms doesn't mean it will radiate any further than the next zip code. Use a dipole!! Don't have a tree? bring one with you in the form of a light weight collapsible mast. A wire dipole made with #16 or #18 wire is very light weight as well..........

N2UHC, KO6KL, WB2YMU and 32 others like this.
  4. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

Anything that is not resonant for the band your transmitting on is a dummy load..

KO6KL, WB2YMU, IU5HES and 5 others like this.
  5. AJ2I

AJ2I XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Is this the worst antenna for portable use?"

YES

N6XJP, KO4ESA, KI4YTV and 9 others like this.
  6. WB6FQZ

WB6FQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

YEP!!

N6XJP, KM9G and M1WML like this.
  7. AF5CC

AF5CC Ham Member QRZ Page

Incorrect! A dummy load would be resonant for the band you were transmitting on.

N2UHC, N0KBA, M1WML and 19 others like this.
  8. W1FBV

W1FBV Ham Member QRZ Page

None of my antennas are resonant. I use a tuner and ladder line. They work fine.

KE0UCH, M1WML, W1BR and 30 others like this.
  9. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

You do know that the Chinese have been bootlegging that antenna? The original had Japanese instructions. It works as I had one for quite a while. Had no issues with tuning but I ran a counterpoise per the original instructions but any small antenna needs a counterpoise. Didn't see that in the video though.

Chances are you bought a bootleg.

WP4TM, VK3PCJ, AB6Z and 2 others like this.
  10. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes your correct but all your doing is conning the radio in to seeing 50hms.. a wet peice of string will tune up with a tuner..

NH6RF, DL4HAO, KM9G and 1 other person like this.
  11. K9EZ

K9EZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No the worst antenna is the one you left home while trying to do a summit. :-\

KJ7OES, K0WJ, G0CIQ and 5 others like this.
  12. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Frankly if he does antennas like he solders I have little faith in him figuring it out. Never mind making a video.

N4CAX and M1WML like this.
  13. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not quite in the same class as the "Toy Box" antenna, I've used the MFJ-1820t 20m whip multiple times to make DX and VA-to-West-Coast contacts (from one mountain top, I made 2 contacts to CA, 1 to Oregon, and 1 to France in the space of 20 minutes). It's not a resonant dipole, but it works and essentially turns my KX2 into an HF-capable HT. :)

Chris

G0CIQ, M1WML and LB0YI like this.
  14. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

With the moniker "Toy Box", what could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

And whose derriere is climbing that rock face?

M1WML, AJ6KZ and K8XG like this.
  15. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not true in some occasions

M1WML likes this.