ad: HamHats-1

Light off road, camping, good food and a Parks on The Air

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KK6USY, Sep 1, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KK6USY

KK6USY Ham Member QRZ Page

I needed to test a few things that I had done to my 4Runner, so I went on a over night trip to the Tahoe National Forest. Two days after leaving the area was closed do to all the wild fires, hopefully it will open soon! I hope you can enjoy the scenery!

SM6WWK, N4FZ, KS4TD and 10 others like this.
  2. KK7AKW

KK7AKW Ham Member QRZ Page

Really enjoyed the video. Just passed T & G. Retake AE the 19SEP2021. I bought a IC 705 to get started. I wanted to be tactical so finding out about POTA is exciting to me. Thanks again for the video! KK7AKW

N4FZ, KS4TD, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hear the fire problems happening at Tahoe right now:-(

This POTA was BEFORE the fires..

[​IMG]

N4FZ, M1WML, AJ6KZ and 1 other person like this.
  4. KK6USY

You should have lots of fun with that radio for POTA and SOTA!

M1WML and KK7AKW like this.
  5. N8MJ

N8MJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video! Thanks for showing us how it's done. You make it look easy! 73

M1WML and KK6USY like this.
  6. AK5CT

AK5CT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like you had a great time, and really enjoyed it. It seems we often forget that is usually the point of a hobby.

KK6USY, N8MJ, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  7. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

I came for the Ham Radio, I stayed for the ‘ken Scenery! Sorry to keep repeating myself, what a beautiful country. Cheers friend.

KK6USY, N8MJ and M1WML like this.
  8. W5YZR

W5YZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for allowing me to to come along with you. Well done
    Bob W5YZR

2E0TWD, KK6USY and N8MJ like this.
  9. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice 1st Gen! Mine is a 1997 3rd Gen.

Chris

KK6USY likes this.
  10. KK6USY

KI4POT likes this.
  11. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video. You put a lot of thought into that build.

Mine's not nearly as built up. I have a tube bumper (Addicted Offroad) and winch (Warn VR8000) up front, T100 front brakes, a very mild lift courtesy of 4Runner "Highlander Model" springs (mostly to offset the heavier bumper and drawer system in back), and 32" tires. We don't have a lot of crazy rockcrawling around here and I don't like to play in mud, so most of my offroading is to get to interesting campsites and hunting areas.

You mentioned putting on larger calipers and a larger master cylinder. One thing I noticed when I went to the larger calipers (and corresponding larger rotors) was my pedal went further to the floor due to a mismatch in volume. I looked at putting in a larger master cylinder, but it seemed the result was a firmer pedal with less modulation. Some folks offset that by changing the vacuum assist. I found once I got over my discomfort at the pedal moving more, I actually had much better modulation. Did you notice any issues with the larger master cylinder?

Right now it's in my garage while I weld up some rust holes in the rocker panels. One started making its presence known by rust-staining paint, but after cutting out the rust, I went poking around and found a smaller hole at the front end of that panel and another small hole on the opposite side panel. The two small ones are welded up and ground smooth, I just need a thin schmeer of bondo before I paint. The larger hole that got all this started hasn't been patched yet due to lack of time.

And to bring it back to radio, I have a Yaesu FT-2900 with Larsen NMO270 antenna on a homebrew fender mount. :)

Chris

12. KK6USY

Chris it's been so long since I put the master cylinder on I think like you before the pedal went farther and it fixed that. I have the front fireing speaker FT3200 I think with antenna on roof and custome cb mount on the back, I think you can see it as I walked to the back. Your build sounds good 32's can go across the rubicon. 73

KI4POT likes this.
  13. KB2QQM

KB2QQM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You should try out the Palomar Engineers BAS-71 Antenna. It works 80-6 meters. EVERYTHING is included in the box. You need one support and it comes with everything you need to set it up, not including the coax. It's $120 and built like a Tank. HRO has them. You can also change out the Wire by following this Antenna set up guide. https://palomar-engineers.com/wp-co...enna-Typical-Configuration-Notes-11182020.pdf

Here is the main link to the Antenna: https://palomar-engineers.com/wp-co...enna-Typical-Configuration-Notes-11182020.pdf

Good Luck,

Greg

14. N2MDA

N2MDA Ham Member QRZ Page

Chuck; That was a beautiful video. It's nice to see so much greenery in the forest.

I hope to work you on your next POTA into the woods. Good Job!

15. W4FDT

W4FDT Ham Member QRZ Page

well done, nice mods.