ad: cq2k-1

Basic walk through on ft891 a great compact but complicated rig

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG7HVR, Dec 13, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. SV0SGS

SV0SGS Ham Member QRZ Page

When you remove the head of the FT-891 you will find a small switch to switch between headphone and speaker.

2. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Did the firmware updates with high hopes but it's still a hot dumpster fire mess of menus. Never understood Yaesu's reasoning in dedicating so many of the few buttons it has to memory operation. Poor choice if I do say so.

W8BYH likes this.
  3. DAMO666

DAMO666 QRZ Member

Is there still a delay issue when transmitting on FM with these?

I've read numerous reports of it taking 1 > 2 seconds for any RF output when pressing PTT.

4. W8BYH

W8BYH Ham Member QRZ Page

"hot dumpster fire mess of menus" - perhaps the best description of Yaesu's current menu system. Not just on the 891, but the 991A too.

KK9W likes this.
  5. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

Can’t believe I read this entire old thread. Some hams buy the wrong radio for their intended use, and blame the radio. Horse for courses!

N0ZB likes this.
  6. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

How about a portable radio that is incapable of sending a low power CW carrier via a dedicated button to use a manual tuner or magnetic loop? You know, portable things not requiring power to operate. That's the FT-891.

7. KD1JT

So ... sell it and buy a radio with that magic button. I know how to tune with my 891.

WD0BCT likes this.
  8. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Just because you are pleased as punch with archaic, non-sensical menus to do nearly anything having to do with the operation of the radio or choose to use an auto tuner doesn't make you a better person. You just have lower expectations for a quality product that costs nearly $700. Even the FT-450D that has an internal tuner is capable of this.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes....it's in the menu. I too was rather disturbed by the menu...until I learned to navigate it. Those that don't like menus are all enamored by a plethora of buttons and knobs. Since I am limited to portable ops my FT-817 and FT-891 are my main rigs. MTR3B is cute and has it's place on long Treks....but has a menu also.....and much more difficult to navigate!

10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Quality is in the eye of the beholder.
    Since when are menu's archaic? A Plethora of push buttons and dials have been around much longer.

11. HB9PJT

HB9PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes still all the problems. Yaesu never finished developing the FT-891. A shame that this mechanically very nicely made TRX has such a lousy firmware quality.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

DAMO666 likes this.
  12. KD1JT

What are you on about old man? I won't argue your straw man. I think you just want to be "right". You don't like the FT-891. Fine, you're right. Pfffft .... :rolleyes:

13. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

If you don't want to argue then don't make argumentative comments to my post claiming "You know how to tune with your radio" as if I do not.

The fact is the radio isn't capable of a simple function common with operating mobile/portable. It has nothing to do with knowledge or ability.

14. NQ6M

NQ6M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm using an LDG tuner with mine, turn on the ATAS tuning function in the 891's menu, and press the "PTT" and "DWN" buttons at the same time on the
    mic and the tuner will immediately tune with a 10 watt carrier from the radio. I love this rig, the menus are not hard to master and it does a whole lot really well
    for the $$$. With the on board DSP this radio is an absolutely stellar portable CW rig.

DAMO666 likes this.
  15. KD1JT

Wow. I made a statement. You want me to argue what I neither said nor implied. Again …. pffft!