ad: M2Ant-1

Circumventing Jamming or interference with Winlink

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Aug 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Logopit_1627831246106.jpg

WX2JOE, NN6A, K8BUD and 24 others like this.
  2. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

Really well done, Julian.

AA8GK, K9CTB and M1WML like this.
  3. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Excellent video. My question would be what if this is just a test run. What do we do if ALL frequencies are jammed and some other bad actors press the internet kill switch? The epitome of free speech and it seems to me very fragile and could end in a blink. 73

WX2JOE, K5TS and M1WML like this.
  4. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like in the old spark days, set up a chain of stations close enough to overcome jamming and relay the message. By all frequencies, do you mean 100khz to 1000mhz continuous? We'd likely be in a war, more likely Nuclear, at which point the answer may not matter.

WX2JOE, KD9LWR and M1WML like this.
  5. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Another great video, Julian. Keep it up. Please.

M1WML likes this.
  6. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

A well done and thought provoking video (yes, a second post :) Something else to consider though is ,

The systems you put together are impressive, transportable and capable. On the uber-plus side; the global, automated WINLINK system solves the question of who will be on the other end of the radio link to receive your 500 word message/missive, take-fills and QSL each message, which WINLINK does automatically - assuming there is an internet able to deliver the message. The down side is the huge increase in the Expense, Size, Weight & Power requirements of so much equipment, solar panels and cables and the luxury of sitting in one mostly open place, in broadaylight to recharge it. I dunno Julian - even a civilian holiday backpacking trip for a week or so, like the RadioPrepper did in the Pyrenees requires a very small, light and low power consumption bit of kit, to even be included in the rucksack.

73 de Ray ..._ ._

HB9EPC, UT7UX, K9CTB and 2 others like this.
  7. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Winlink is perfect for getting info into and out of Cuba ... because of the compression scheme, messages outbound - or inbound for that matter, can't be read by the bad actors even if they are intercepted. Trouble is, the automated jamming system they're using just tracks strong sigs on 40 (repeated connects to the same RMS on the same frequency) and then tunes directly on top ... then they become agile again until the next transmission. I heard on an SSB net that the Cuban government is only effective at jamming about half of the messages sent by amateur radio ... the other half get through. Not sure how accurate that assessment is. On a separate note, VARA is the BEST!!! What a robust and very patient modem!! EA5HVK, Jose gets a hero's welcome if he ever makes a trip to my home town!!!

73 de K9CTB

W4ISZ, N6SPP, HB9EPC and 1 other person like this.
  8. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Job Julian.

K9CTB likes this.
  9. M6EVR

M6EVR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

amazing video, julian, thank you so much for sharing 73

AA8GK likes this.
  10. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Really good video that indeed leaves some questions unanswered. Julian, I like all that ham and near-ham toys you're showing to us but honestly I don't believe a single person could carry most of them during bad days if they ever become. One should more care about rounds for a handgun and few primitive tools rather than about fragile and somewhat bulky ham toys. Is the communications essential? IMO yes. Shall the hams maintain communications if everything else failed? IMO no. Not hams but well armed and coordinated troops will take a lead.

K9GLS likes this.
  11. W0LEN

W0LEN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Timely, and very well done Julian - as usual. Thank you!
    Winlink has become the de facto standard for critical messaging in all situations. For that reason, the EmComm Training Organization (ETO) has been formed to conduct weekly ("Winlink Thursday") exercises designed to take participants from initial setup through advanced techniques (P2P, relays, etc.) in a manner that is useful in any situation.
    Further info here: http://emcomm-training.org/

W7ASA likes this.
  12. W1LV

W1LV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been following Julian's off-grid portable articles for a while, and find that there is plenty of useful information in the older articles and videos, the most recent will show remarkable progress from even two years ago. Progress in the form of newer, lighter and more capable equipment, and in adapting relatively lighter weight power systems. It may be more helpful to look at categories of equipment in his articles, such as rig, antenna, computer and power.
    I hope to have a capable system gathered by winter field day, and expect that the while portable rig will fit in a small rucksack or in my main camping backpack leaving much room for necessities. It certainly be expensive, but I envision a lightweight QRP rig (IC-705, TX-500, or one of my homemade rigs), wire antenna, Powerfilm solar panels, small LiFePO4 battery, tablet for digital modes.
    Has anyone built such a system and weighed it?
    Thanks and 73
    Steve
    https://oh8stn.org/articles/

13. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

No dog in the fight but couldn't an individual look up all the parts you listed and they should give size and weights of all the pieces. Simple addition and you'll be pretty close.

14. G4LHT

G4LHT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Case in point, when the Falklands were invaded it was a Radio Amateur that informed the British Government via the BBC with his Toy...

PA7MDJ Amateur Radio Blog: How the world learned about the Falklands War

davesergeant.com/qrp/vp8.mp3 actual recording.

N1IPU, KN6DWI, KA5KAB and 3 others like this.
  15. W5IR

W5IR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Check out this YouTube video. The Last Voice From Kuwait using AMTOR

W5IR

N1IPU, W2VW, KN6DWI and 2 others like this.