ad: M2Ant-1

ARRLs Other Magazine

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Aug 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

I take a look at On The Air magazine. I really enjoy it. Take a look inside with me and see if its for you:

NN6A, VE3TLT, N5PZ and 6 others like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My 16 year old grandson says that it is very lame, over all in the past.

N1IPU likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

What would he like to see:)?

I am sure the ARRL would be delighted to tailor more to that target audience:)

Chip W1YW

4. N3AWS

N3AWS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It will be interesting to see if OTA survives the test of time.

I am glad that ALL of the League magazines are now available free of charge to members.

KC0KEK likes this.
  5. K3LU

K3LU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Steve's right about giving away old QSTs and other ham magazines. As a kid I remember being given old magazines and learning about amateur radio's past and the gear associated with the published period of the edition. So indeed give them away. Cross out your address and leave them at the barbershop, beauty salon, doctor's office, etc. You never know who might pick up the magazine and want to be come a radio amateur.

KC0MFW, N2ZDH, K1KTF and 6 others like this.
  6. KC2EQA

KC2EQA Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Steve,
    I enjoyed the video and reviewed the magazine on the ARRL site. I agree with you regarding the quality of the articles. In fact, I've been a ham for 21 years and will now make it a point to read On The Air. There was a nice hack that I can use at my QTH in the latest issue. I find there is nothing wrong with refreshing oneself with basic knowledge. Thanks for doing a fine job.

73, Larry, KC2EQA

KE5RFZ, KC7ZXY and KC0KEK like this.
  7. WA2TLY

WA2TLY Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I would like to subscribe to on the air magazine but nowhere can I figure out how to do it.
    I get QST and NEX so this might be an add on but I cannot figure out how to subscribe ?? Presumably some extra charge but I may be willing to pay it for the print edition
    WA2TLY Larry

KC7HDE likes this.
  8. W0LEV

W0LEV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been a licensed ham for 61+ years. I thoroughly enjoy reading the "beginners" publication! It takes me back to the time when I was drinking from the fire hose in 1960. Even though I've now got a degree in physics and have a well equipped RF lab (mostly HP equipment - and know how to use it), I love the publication. Nostalgia is something that can only be appreciated when you've been a ham for a long time and worked in the field of RFI/EMC for decades and are 74 years old (wise). This is one of the best offerings lately from the ARRL!!!

Dave - WØLEV

WB2JAX, KF5KWO, KF4ZKU and 3 others like this.
  9. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I asked about that a while back to one of the directors, and if you already get QST (and want to keep getting it), there's currently no way to also get paper copies of On The Air. They are aware of the problem, and promised to fix it at some point.

IMHO, they should make copies of the magazine easily available, since I would recommend it to someone interested in ham radio. Unfortunately, right now, the only way to get it is to pay $50 for a membership, which is awfully expensive for just 6 issues of a magazine. If I could get one or more subscriptions at a reasonable price, I would subscribe and give them away. Or if some newbie asked me for information, I would recommend that they pay $10 or $20 for a subscription.

W7XLR, KF4ZKU, KC7ZXY and 1 other person like this.
  10. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

ham radio outlet in plano/dallas has ota in stock.
    i just got the current issue and 3 back issues.
    one grandfather saved me his american rifleman mags over a period of years. on the
    rare occasions we' d visit i'd catch up on that reading. my granny got the reader's digest condensed
    books (hardbound, with several shortened books in each volume), and i'd read those, too.

i'm old now, so i read the good old days and reminisce magazines, snort, as well as other special
    interest/hobby mags.

denver radio club used to have a library as well as loaner gear for the newbies.

KF5KWO, KC0KEK and WN1MB like this.
  11. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

OTA is a great read. Even though I'm not a new ham, I still get a lot out of it. Great video and summary TO

12. K7AEZ

K7AEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I really enjoy the ARRL On the Air Magazine. I have been a very active Ham now for 3 1/2 years.
    I have earned my Amateur Extra, my WAS Award, and have over 1,100 contacts on Side Band on 100 watts. What I like about the Magazine is that it covers very basic topics that I can share with both new and old Hams. Topics such as: End Fed Antennas, How to prepare for Field Day, Space Weather Basics, and how to talk into a microphone.
    Doug - K 7 A E Z
    Mesa, Arizona

Attached Files:

KF5KWO and AA5BK like this.
  13. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

mostly, i leave mags at the v.a. hospital and clinic; war mags (a lot of titles), archaeology, b.a.r.,
    astronomy, etc.
    i even round up my sister's national enquirer, globe, squeeze, people, elle,
    i spy, in touch, etc. she's a fiend for gossip.
    i also get puzzle books from dollar general.
    it isn't just guys in there. many have wives/daughters/grown grandchildren accompany them. and there are women vets, too, there.

14. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As an amature whose been out of the activity for over a decade (maybe two, my old brain isn't recollecting that well), I really like OTA since it's helps me catch up on what has changed since I was last active and helps me remember some of the basic information that I learned way back when but has been purged to make room for more vital information. When I last renewed my ARRL membership, I choose OTA over QST since I get the electronic version of that emailed to me every month.

KF5KWO, AA5BK and WB1GCM like this.
  15. KQ9I

KQ9I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The digital version is available to all members. Click on the link to the current issue of QST at http://www.arrl.org/qst and when you log into the online reader, click on the three bars in the upper right hand corner, then click on "Quick Links". It will take you to the digital version of OTA and all the other periodicals. Archives are available as well.

Not the most accessible way to do it, but at least once you get there the online reader works nice.

AA5BK likes this.