ad: elecraft

FCC fees for amateur radio - updates on implementation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N2RJ, Jul 9, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W2SGM

W2SGM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The truly undesirable don’t care about any silly license.

KD5BVX and KR3DX like this.
  2. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

See my post #85.

Another hi-jack of this thread. You "bring back the code test and that will get rid of the lids" guys just can't pass up an opportunity to spout this nonsense. How did you determine that "bringing back the CW test" would "weed out 90% of the Un-desireables"? Did you use a scientifically proven formula, or did you pull that number out of a hat? In my experience, there are a LOT of lids on the air who have been hams since before the stone age. Obviously, they had to pass a "CW test" and that hasn't prevented them from acting like immature spoiled brats at every opportunity. I have personally known hams who fit that description, they were/are total "Un-desireables". In my opinion, requiring a CW test to get a ham license would make us look like an archaic hobby that nobody under the age of 60 would be even remotely interested in joining. The "code test" requirement would make us look like a bunch of old snobs, "I had to pass a code test, so, by golly, you should have to do the same thing".

FYI, I've been licensed since 1978, so, yes, I did have to pass a CW test. 20WPM in 1986 for my extra. That was then, the code test was relevant. That is not the case today.

Back on topic: Funny how some guys think that a CW test will get rid of the lids, but a license processing fee will keep "good hams" from joining the hobby.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    KD5BVX likes this.
  3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Was probably pulled out of something, but not his hat.

K8PG and KR3DX like this.
  4. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And the misunderstanding(s) continue. Thomas, that $15.00 fee you paid on June 27th was the examination fee. That fee is collected by the VE team to help defray costs accrued by the VE team and its supporting Volunteer Examiner Coordinator (VEC). The fee may vary from $0.00 to $15.00, depending on the VEC. The maximum fee, which is currently $15.00, is set by the FCC. None of the examination fee gets sent to the FCC.

The fee being talked about in this thread is a different fee that will be paid to the FCC for processing applications. That fee, which will be $35.00, will be implemented on a date to be determined by the FCC. This application processing fee will be collected for applications submitted for new or upgraded licenses and vanity call signs. Routine administrative applications, like changing an address, email or phone number will not be charged the $35.00 fee.

Using your situation as an example, if you had obtained your initial license after the application fee had been implemented, you would have paid the $15.00 examination fee to the VE Team, and then also paid the $35.00 application fee to complete the licensing process.

So, congratulations on getting your Technician license, and you may want to try upgrade to at least General before the application fee kicks in. ;)

Regards,
    -Bruce

N3HQN and KD5BVX like this.
  5. K0XU

K0XU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With no FCC who would issue you your license? Everything would be freebanders. Sound fun to you? Not to me.

KC3JH, KD5BVX and KR3DX like this.
  6. K0XU

K0XU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No FCC? Who would issue you a license? Without the FCC there would be no Amateur Radio, everything would be commercial or utter chaos.

AG5DB, KD5BVX and KR3DX like this.
  7. K5HLH

K5HLH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would mind less if they would approve the new bands for technician's they have been setting on now since 02/28/18 recommended by the ARRL. They drag their feet on everything, at least folks that want a GMRS license can get a break from 70 dollars to 35 dollars and it good for 10 years to all family members. Both these things would bring more people into the hobby and increase radios sales if they got of ther back side!

8. N3HQN

N3HQN Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope none a you folks go fishing or play golf. My fishing license for the state I live in is right around $45.00+- a year and what do you golfers pay for greens fees and kart rental for a day on the course? Depending on the course, it's at least that every time you play. I'm not for a license fee for amateur radio in the least seeings how we already pay taxes to the FCC and they do little to no good at squaring the bands away. But, $30.00+- for 10 years is very cheap considering what many of us pay for other hobbies and pastimes in our lives. I just re upped my license and at 60 years old. I will probably not have to re up ever again.

K2CD likes this.
  9. N3HQN

There were radio ops before the FCC and there will be radio long after the FCC is gone.

10. N3HQN

That $15.00 has nothing to do with the amateur radio license. That $15.00 goes to the club that gave you the test. Not to the FCC. Or the organization that filed your license to the FCC.

11. N3HQN

12. NE1LL

NE1LL Ham Member QRZ Page

More like politics. The fee is just the latest ARRL politics for fund raising. First it was BPL, then the Amateur Radio Parity Bill now fees. The ARRL creates more boogey men to make money than Jack Abramoff eve

13. W4WFL

W4WFL Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you one of those don't think we pay enough in taxes and vote on tax increases??? The FCC and Amateur Radio parts have always been funded by the Treasury Dept General Fund. IRS collects taxes to run FCC already. Apparently FCC cannot live within the budget given by them by Congress. The Federal Government is passing all these trillion dollar bills through Congress and it is up to them to fund FCC. To make us pay is just another tax. To question that the FCC does not have the money for infrastructure is really wrongheaded. They should be going to Congress for funding, not us. It is almost like the FCC taxing us without the authority to levy taxes. If a lawyer that is a ham could look into this, I wonder if it is constitutional for FCC to levy fees (taxes) against us.... I can't believe what I am reading in this forum.....

14. KB6QXM

KB6QXM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never met a group of people that are so cheap. The thing that bothers me is that we are paying a fee for what? Everything is electronic as far as licensing, then what are they going to use the money for? I am used to fees and taxes, as I live in California.

15. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you one of those people who doesn't know what "/s" means? :)