ad: chuckmartin

Beat The HOA With A Stealth Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Aug 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Tired of dealing with the Home Owner's Association (HOA), and their anti-antenna rules? Then this video may just help you with that! Again I update my 2m / 440 stealth antenna using a Diamond VX50. The Diamond VX50 allows for a more stealth antenna since it doesn't have the three ground radials found on the Diamond X-50A.

KJ7LPB, K0AAJ, CX3ABD and 20 others like this.
  2. W9QK

W9QK Ham Member QRZ Page

Slick!

WJ6F and M1WML like this.
  3. N6SWR

N6SWR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good camouflage, I have the x50 also yours looks good but using it simplex may be a problem on the ground like that.
    I also live in a HOA Condo complex with same rules, I mounted my X50 in my attic and get out great to repeaters and simplex, also have 10 element Diamond yagi on my roof I just tell everyone it a TV antenna on a rotor I work out to about 150 miles north and south from my Bakersfield, CA location. Also have 130 long wire antenna out to complexes Palm tree. lot's can be done if you try to make it work!

Regards,

N6SWR

VE3EEI, KB9LUI, KI5KGT and 3 others like this.
  4. W0MN

W0MN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I guess it is fine for VHF etc but HOA and HF just do not go together. Hoe I never have to live under that. 83 in a few weeks and ham since 1953 and never had to put up with that .

KB7OM, VE3EEI, WK0P and 5 others like this.
  5. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Beat the HOA with a stealth antenna"

I almost actually watched one of these videos... until I realized this wasn't about running around with a 144Mhz whip antenna, shoo-ing away the neighbors.

:p

KC0KEK, AJ6KZ, KD8UHR and 3 others like this.
  6. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

;)

WJ6F likes this.
  7. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I had wanted to put an antenna in my attic, however, all of the roofing plywood is lined with what looks like aluminum foil, so I figured my signal would be hindered greatly. I would like to put an antenna on the roof as I can see Catalina Island from there so I know I would get some good distance into north Orange County.

M1WML and K7IN like this.
  8. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Aren't HOA rules that prevent erecting antennas an infringement of the human right to gather information? On this side of the pond, the European Convention on Human Rights does so and article 10 warrants the right of every human being to freedom of speech and to collect information without the infringement of any public rules. It is often successfully used by hams in lawsuits against local authorities that forbid erecting antennas.

NC7I, M0MNE, KE8OJS and 10 others like this.
  9. K2WO

K2WO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Where did you obtain a Diamond VX-50? I can't find one anywhere. Not even listed on the Diamond Antenna Website.

M1WML, KN4VDG, AJ6KZ and 1 other person like this.
  10. N6SWR

N6SWR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Most state law allows Satellite Dish Antenna's at HOA's !
    So just put up a 2 meter slot antenna disguised as a Satellite Antenna How too instruction at https://w6nbc.com/articles/2016-03QSTdishslot.pdf I have made a few and they do work quite well it's a bit unusual but heck there are lots of used one around and it a very easy antenna to make!

-73-

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    VE3EEI, M1WML, AA5BK and 6 others like this.
  11. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

It was sent to me by DIamond Antenna US, but I have seen it on the Diamond Antenna Japan website at https://www.diamond-ant.co.jp/english/amateur/antenna/ante_2base/ante_base4.html

Might have to call Diamond Antenna to see is you can order directly from them or if they have a vendor list.

M1WML likes this.
  12. W2GIW

W2GIW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Ben,
    We've live in this HOA community by choice since 2013 and by federal law, no one can stop you from receiving free TV. I had a 3ft tripod on the roof with a TV antenna and a diamond x-300 on top and the HOA dared not question it since they knew it was a losing deal for them.
    Law says you can put up a TV antenna 12ft above the peak of the roof. Satellite dishes can be placed "anywhere" there is an acceptable signal.

We had new roof put on last October and I didn't want any more hole in the roof, so bought a smaller X-50 and put it in the loft along with the TV antenna which works great into Philadelphia. About 18 miles.
    Low band antenna is a 130ft doublet back in the woods.....Ken

KF4ZKU, M1WML and WJ6F like this.
  13. K3ZTG

K3ZTG Ham Member QRZ Page

Interestingly enough, I have thrown a Comet GP-3 into similarly-lined attic. I didn't seem to have any issues getting out to any of the local repeaters within 15-20mi. In fact, I could actually reliably talk with a repeater almost 40mi away.

KO4NZP, M1WML and WJ6F like this.
  14. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Good to know! Thanks for the information. I think I will revisit the attic idea, and see if I can hit repeaters more closer to Los Angeles (about 45 - 50 miles away).

M1WML likes this.
  15. KM6LYW

KM6LYW Ham Member QRZ Page

Beat The HOA With A Stealth Antenna

Misleading.

you can't beat people, it's against the law, I looked it up. you also cannot set them on fire, even if you really want to.

The more you know...

Cool antenna tho! what's stealthy is also often good for mobile ops as well.

M1WML and NU4R like this.