ad: UR5CDX-1

Cuban Government Jamming 40 meter US HAM BAND

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K4KKC, Jul 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

The dyslexic's version of this is "Denial ain't just a park in Alaska."

KC7JNJ, K0UO and (deleted member) like this.
  2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you really think the DGI is spreading disinformation to world wide hams about whether Cuban hams use commercial or HB radios, you are loopy. shakes head.

3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have sent a lot of ham equipment from Belize to Cuban hams over the years.
    We have (had) direct flights from Belize. A lot of rigs.
    One of the problems they couldn't even scrounge up parts there to build anything.

V31kW

N0TZU likes this.
  4. KM4OZ

KM4OZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I sent a succinct polite report of interfering signals to the ARRL and IARU contact emails. This is reply from League. I am not criticizing it, it is more or less what I expected:

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021, 9:10 PM Rodney Stafford <w6rod@comcast.net> wrote:
    "Colin,
    From the many reports from amateur radio operators, there seems to be a great deal of 40 meter interference that appears to be caused by the Cuban government. It appears they are trying to interfere with Cuban amateurs involved in getting information out of Cuba about the situation there related to the unrest we have seen in the news.
    The FCC is apparently investigating the situation (I assume through their international bureau). It is a bit of a problem of course since it is likely the government is involved in the interference. As you can imagine, there is not a lot of leverage we have with a sovereign government to get them to stop their activities due to the relationship the U.S. government has with the Cuban authorities. We can hope that the U.S. government can impact the situation but it is unlikely the current U.S. administration will take any dramatic steps to try to influence the Cuban administration in this matter.
    73, Rod W6ROD"

I then asked if this assessment was taken mostly from forums, or independent sources, his reply:
    "My information is based on discussions within ARRL. I don’t generally visit [forums].
    73, Rod"

I put this out in good faith to share with hams. PLEASE let's not slag anyone. ARRL is not INTERPOL.
    Have not heard from. IARU.

WN1MB, KG5RKP, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  5. K0UO

WOW They are finally doing some PR and Damage control. The 1st calls and emails many of us sent them 3 weeks ago, they just totally ignored us.

6. KG5RKP

KG5RKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Same thoughs and experience here, Colin. Still nothing from the IARU - either the Region 2 monitoring program or the head of R2. My chats with Rod have been similar, pointing to the FCC. When I've asked about what the FCC can do, or what the IARU or ITU are doing, I don't get a reply. I rejoined the League hoping to have some leverage when reporting intrusions. Might as well have saved my money, I'm thinking.

K0UO likes this.
  7. KG5RKP

It's easy to ignore a couple of voices. If we actually got together and inundated them with reports and requests for action, it's harder for them to ignore. Now that they've gone from 'ignore' to 'deflect', they're starting to move. It's going to take many more complaints to keep them moving - I just wish I was more confident that would happen.

K0UO and (deleted member) like this.
  8. K4KKC

K4KKC Ham Member QRZ Page

How can we keep this momentum going?

9. K0UO

Keep start and reporting to the NTIA

They control all the DOD and Government frequencies. The jamming has slowed down on some of those frequencies but they are still active doing it particularly on Maritime HF. They're using different techniques, it's like a Spread/spectrum Search and Jam. It changes based on activity on certain frequencies.

10. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

was Cruz in Mexico when you spoke with him or maybe he was in Cuba?

KG5RKP likes this.
  11. KG5RKP

The NTIA has ZERO to do with our amateur radio bands. The only way this would be useful is if one wanted to ensure the jamming continued. We are radio amateurs and are tasked to report interfering stations to the IARU and our national group (ARRL, RSGB, etc.).

12. KM4OZ

KM4OZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was curious so looked up NTIA- this from Home Page. It is not clear they are the Hams friend....

"NTIA is the Executive Branch agency that is principally responsible for advising the President on telecommunications and information policy issues. NTIA’s programs and policymaking focus largely on expanding broadband Internet access and adoption in America, expanding the use of spectrum by all users, and ensuring that the Internet remains an engine for continued innovation and economic growth."

KG5RKP likes this.
  13. K0UO

You're totally uninformed OM.
    I'm not just referring to just amateur radio jamming.
    If you were following some of my post early on you would have seen that there has been jamming in the Marine/ Aviation and DOD frequencies.
    Amateur radio has low priority but when you start jamming DOD frequencies NTIA is interested.
    Even the Coast Guard Emergency HF frequency has been jammed.

1 person likes this.
  14. KG5RKP

You might want to read your response again, my friend, and read mine before it.

I AM talking about amateur radio bands. Yes, I am aware that you are talking about other bands as well.

Here's the thing: The jamming that's denying hams use of 40 meters is...on... (wait for it!) 40 Meters. Any intrusions into THAT space are to be reported to the IARU and ARRL (or RSGB, etc.). That is the spectrum amateur radio ops are tasked to help protect. Others are responsible for maritime and DoD bands, and it isn't us. I'm a pilot - it still isn't me.

I'm a retired AF SIGINTer and have about 8 years logged with a 3-letter agency that does RF stuff, and finished my career running an info warfare lab. I know very well what happens internally when military frequencies are interfered with. We didn't give a damn about the NTIA in that sphere, either.

This is an amateur radio site. I recommend focus.
    73 MSgt out.

KM4OZ likes this.
  15. KG5RKP

FYI... (cough...DoD...cough Not to be confused in any way with anything related to the amateur service.)
    https://www.marines.mil/portals/1/Publications/MCO 3430.3C.pdf?ver=2012-10-11-163623-383
    https://static.e-publishing.af.mil/...ation/afman11-2c-146av3/afman11-2c-146av3.pdf
    Folks can keyword search those for "NTIA" if they so desire.
    Please pardon this brief deviation from topic. I never expect anyone to 'take my word for it' when data are available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.