ad: Alphaant-1

Build your own DX Commander Multifan Vertical Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W9FFF, Jul 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

To Clarify the video title-- "Build Your Own DX Commander....Antenna".

Here is how to 'build your own DX Commander antenna':

1) Go to Cal's website (DX Commander - Amateur Radio - Ham Radio | Ham Radio Antennas Shop (m0mcx.co.uk);
    2) Order the DX Commander antenna kit of your choice;
    3) When it arrives, follow the directions for building the DX Commander;
    4) Build, build, build!
    5) Enjoy!

Hope that helps.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    AK5B and M1WML like this.
  2. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Earlier you rebuked my statement that people were bent out of shape over this. Sure seems like it from the above quote and other posts and we're 7 pages deep and no signs of slowing.

KM5TX and M1WML like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't speak for others. Ask them. Nor can I defy causality by having you allude to statements made (in time) after my post.

As for me, I am just fine. Thanks for asking:)

BTW, we now have the clarification on 'build your own DX Commander...antenna" --via post #61. One can logically presume that this clarifies anyone's ambiguity on the thread title, as it presents the relevant facts.

Happy to have helped. Have a pleasing day:)

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  4. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

But this thread says otherwise. Pages full of you speaking on the behalf of others using "we statements" in more posts than I care to go back and quote on my mobile device and telling people what they should have said and done. You are a hoot of contradiction. If you weren't bent out of shape from the get-go you wouldn't still be here going on about it.

W5VAX, KM5TX, K7STU and 2 others like this.
  5. K5QBF

K5QBF Ham Member QRZ Page

73, ya'll have fun arguing semantics of this post. I am going to go play radio.

W5VAX, WN1MB, N5SKT and 5 others like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

OM,

Look up 'causality'.

Chip W1YW

7. W9JTC

W9JTC Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the video was very informative. Building your own antennas should be encouraged more. He did give the original maker their recognition in the video so no issues there that I can see. I think more videos like this should be encouraged to be made. Not to take business away from anyone but for advancement of the hobby. It is a hobby after all. My 2 cents. 73 from W9JTC.

K0CXF, N5SKT, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  8. K6GS

K6GS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A qrz thread full of straw-men arguments and hyperbole? I shall alert the media.

In my opinion, adding one word to the title make all of this a non-issue - "style". As worded, the title indicates that it is a "DX Commander", which is someone's intellectual property. Instead calling it a "DX Commander-style" antenna clarifies that it is an homage to the DXC.

It really doesn't matter what is in the video - titles matter and they are what drive clicks. While it certainly is a time-honored tradition to make salacious or provocative titles, that doesn't make it particularly right.

And I happily bought and run two of Callum's antennas, and will likely buy the next iteration. His collection of parts eliminates the truly annoying part of building, and makes bringing an antenna to life fun.

AK5B, N3FAA, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  9. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't tell me what to do. You are stealing my freedom! :D

Sound familiar?

W5VAX, WN1MB, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  10. K7STU

K7STU Ham Member QRZ Page

Indiana " Let it Go "

M1WML likes this.
  11. KO4CES

KO4CES Ham Member QRZ Page

Appears as though the "DX Commander" is a variation of a fan-vertical antenna offered in 1953 by the Radiotron Designer's Handbook. I feel that W9FFF provides ample citation in his presentation; and the significance of his contribution is found within his ability to 3D print. Additionally, his rendition offers 4 bands. Bravo! Mission accomplished!

ARRL's Mission Statement: To advance the art, science, and enjoyment of Amateur Radio!

KM5TX, N5SKT and M1WML like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Issue was title; not antenna type.

:)

13. W9HJ

W9HJ QRZ Lifetime Member #294 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This thread needs its own doll ... that way people can point on the doll where the evil thread title touched them.

I'm done with this thread (and many of the people here).

W5VAX, WN1MB, KK9W and 6 others like this.
  14. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Every day thousands of Hams around the world disrespect one of the greatest antenna inventors of all time, yet not a single one of you complain. In fact, most everyone one of you do this repeatedly.

The Yagi was actually invented in 1926 by Shintaro Uda of Tohoku Imperial University, Japan, with a lesser role played by his colleague Hidetsugu Yagi who took the credit.

Reminds me of how Marphoney stole Tesla's designs and inventions, then claimed they were his, but I digress.

One should not even refer to it as a Yagi-Uda antenna as Yagi was just a "go for" and not the mastermind.

W5VAX, AK5B, WN1MB and 3 others like this.
  15. M0TNX

M0TNX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Absolutely spot on. I thought I could build one for less, without cutting massive corners, you can't.

W9FFF, M1WML, KM5TX and 2 others like this.