ad: wmr-1

Asheville Radio Museum Celebrates its 20-Year Anniversary this Summer

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by N3TIP, Jul 20, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N3TIP

N3TIP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ASHEVILLE, N.C. – The Asheville Radio Museum, one of Asheville's premier specialty museums, housing a ham and vintage radio collection will mark its 20th anniversary this summer.

The museum will host a public celebration from Noon-3 p.m. on Saturday, September 11, at its home on the Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College (A-B Tech) campus, Room 315-Elm Building. Admission and parking are free. For details, go to the anniversary page on our website.

The Southern Appalachian Radio Museum, as it was initially known, was founded by the late Carl Smith, an Asheville transplant from St. Joseph, Mo. The idea for the museum began when Smith and his wife, Miriam, purchased a mid-1930s radio receiver in disrepair. The couple, both amateur radio operators, skillfully restored the radio to its original working and physical condition. Miriam suggested to her husband that he accumulate more classic radios and open a museum to showcase them. And with the help of other ham radio friends, the Southern Appalachian Radio Museum was born.

"When we first envisioned a radio museum, we had no idea that it would continue to grow and still exist 20-years later," said Museum Co-founder Clint Gorman. "This museum's success is a testament to Carl and the many radio enthusiasts who have followed to keep the lights on through their voluntary labor and dedication, funding from hams around the Southeast and support from A-B Tech. I couldn't be prouder of what we've achieved."

About The Asheville Radio Museum:

Founded in 2001, the Asheville Radio Museum provides visitors of all ages with a personalized learning experience about the economic and cultural impact of radio technology like enabling cell phones, GPS, Bluetooth, and more. The museum holds more than 100 vintage amateur and commercial radios from the early to the mid-20th century. The not-for-profit, free admittance museum is located on the campus of Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College. Information on open hours and private tours by appointment is available at avlradiomuseum.org.

2. KM4OZ

KM4OZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Definitely something I need to visit! Do you plan on a special event station running for the anniversary?

3. N3TIP

N3TIP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for your reply. We are definitely looking at the possibility. If it’s a go, we’ll send out a notice for sure!
    Peter-N3TIP

4. KD8SLQ

KD8SLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on the anniversary.

I visited there a few years ago as part of my last visit to Asheville. While my wife normally doesn't care about radio stuff, she was very interested in the antiques you have on display. So score one point from a non-ham.